About Mounting of Cameras

bigeye

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I have some questions regarding mounting brackets that I hope someone can clarify for me if you don't mind...

- I will be mounting a camera in the corner of the ceiling of my carport. Is an in-ceiling or junction box the right mount to use here?
- Is the argument in favour of junction boxes related to the size of hole in the ceiling to place the camera? Or is it more involved than that?
- Can a wall mount be placed so that the camera will be effectively flush with the ceiling? Wall mounting is also an option.

Regards,
Dave

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1-Junction box if you want to minimize the size of the hole you will need to drill for the Ethernet cable in the ceiling.
2-If you don't use a junction box and mount the camera directly to the ceiling, then you will need to find a spot to put the connection pigtail. Which means, if you want to place it in the ceiling, you will need to drill a 3/4" hole.
3-If you are referring to a dahua turret cam, then use a wall mount could be mounted up against the ceiling.

Here is the pigtail.

Driveway.jpg

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - Looney2ns is showing the "wall mount" either Dahua OEM model PFB203/204W iirc, there are also junction boxes like the PFA137 or PFA103E

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
FYI - Looney2ns is showing the "wall mount" either Dahua OEM model PFB203/204W iirc, there are also junction boxes like the PFA137 or PFA103E
pfb203w suits for IPC-HDW5231R-ZE, IPC-HDW2231R-ZS, junction box use PFA137, PFA130-E(waterproof)
PFB204W suits for IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE, IPC-HDW4XXX-ASE. Juntion box use PFA139

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wall mount a Dahua turret camera, use a PFA137 so junction box and camera are flat to the wall, instead camera mount use a PFB203W wall mount bracket, the camera sticks slightly out from the wall as shown in looney2ns's post. Functionally are these two options the same?
Using a junction box is neater but a wall mount bracket is more noticeable so probably more of a deterrent effect.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wall mount a Dahua turret camera, use a PFA137 so junction box and camera are flat to the wall, instead camera mount use a PFB203W wall mount bracket, the camera sticks slightly out from the wall as shown in looney2ns's post. Functionally are these two options the same?
Using a junction box is neater but a wall mount bracket is more noticeable so probably more of a deterrent effect.
All a matter of taste, I think the wall mount looks the best.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - they actually end up sticking out about the same...

sibi78

n3wb
Reaction score
1-Junction box if you want to minimize the size of the hole you will need to drill for the Ethernet cable in the ceiling.
2-If you don't use a junction box and mount the camera directly to the ceiling, then you will need to find a spot to put the connection pigtail. Which means, if you want to place it in the ceiling, you will need to drill a 3/4" hole.
3-If you are referring to a dahua turret cam, then use a wall mount could be mounted up against the ceiling.

Here is the pigtail.

View attachment 39647
@looney2ns , your wall mount image seems very clean and professional. Would you mind sharing how you are running the ethernet cable from the outside to your switch/router? Is the cable running done inside the garage/home? I am also planning a similar install, but I have a raised ceiling so I might need to run the ethernet cable upwards towards my attic.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@looney2ns , your wall mount image seems very clean and professional. Would you mind sharing how you are running the ethernet cable from the outside to your switch/router? Is the cable running done inside the garage/home? I am also planning a similar install, but I have a raised ceiling so I might need to run the ethernet cable upwards towards my attic.
Drilled hole in mortar, just big enough to run a non terminated Ethernet cable, up the inside of the wall into the attic of the garage, then over and down to my switch that also lives in the garage.
Everything is ran inside the walls and attic.
See this for help.
IP Camera Installation Tools & Accessories | IP Cam Talk