About to buy Hikvision 2732 cameras

alexksj

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm about to buy 2 Hikvision DS-2CD2732F-IS cameras to build up a small surveillance system at home. I have no experience with IP cameras, so let me fire off a few questions. I apologize if those are FAQs:

- Newegg offers them shipped from Hongkong for USD160 each, they mention "US Firmware is available". Is it straightforward to load the firmware, any other issues with the Chinese version?
- I plan for my system the two cameras, two 64GB SD cards, enough Ethernet cable, and a wireless router with POE that will go into my attic and will bridge wirelessly into my main network; I don't want to run network cable down from the attic. Then I would just use my PC and iPads/iPhones (via Hikvision app) to connect to the cameras. Anything missing/not thought through in my plan?
- Any other suggestions for my setup? My main objective of the system is to deter/record burglaries at our home and observe our entrance and side of the house. I might add more cameras later.

Thanks,
Alex

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum..
Not a fan of using a wireless bridge...but if its your only option i would rethink putting router in the attic unless you live in alaska...its gonna overheat...
Consider paying a professional wire puller to run the cable properly...its not that expensive an the guys who know what they are doing can pull it with almost zero damage...
You will not only need a router up there but a poe swtich or midspan injector...
Are you planing on mounting the cameras high up near the attic? Thats a bad idea as all you are going to get are head shots..you want face shots...
If you do get the 2732 domes (or any dome for that matter) be sure to read post 10 by @milkisbad in this post http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?1177-Hikvision-Foggy-as-***&highlight=foggy
The cameras will be chinese region with english as a language update...if you ever update the firmware the camera will revert to chinese unless you make some complex changes (there are many threads on this)...user @CBX has a permanent solution and it works flawlessly, you may wish to contact him (there is a fee involved)....
Disregard any warranty claims as the shipping back to china is very expensive and thats assuming the seller is still in business or responsive...
Finally, it seems that the seller on newegg is selling a 4mm version of the 2732 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA60123F6317&cm_re=DS-2CD2732F-IS-_-0XR-000Z-00076-_-Product
I have seen this advertised before on ebay...Hikvision does not have this item in their spec sheets...the 2732 is supposed to be a varifocal camera...(manually set at the time of install)..so i would ask alot of questions...most of the users here buy from aliexpress (there are several trusted sellers) or if you want warranty and or support, from us sellers, like nellys security, wrightwood surveilance, or LTS (user @milkisbad) all very reputable sellers...but the price will be higher...

Last edited by a moderator:

alexksj

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback! I'll find a place for the network equipment that doesn't heat up, I can route to the garage below the attic. For the domes, I'd like to mount them about 8-10ft from the ground so they can't be easily reached and stolen(!). I hope this still gives a decent picture of approaching people.

I saw the camera on Aliexpress for a price that sounds too good to be true: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/HIKVISION-DS-2CD2732F-IS-New-High-Quality-varifocal-lense-3MP-IR-dome-security-network-ip-cameras/32230557275.html, and it's advertised as the varifocal version. Have you heard about this seller, and is the Buyer Protection/Feedback system trustwothy for Aliexpress?

Regards,
Alex

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That is too good to be true notwithstanding the sellers good ratings..."Returns accepted if product not as described, buyer pays return shipping; or keep the product & agree refund with seller" you need to pay return shipping which is expensive...I have used these guys many times with no issue ...buy with a credit card that has a good return protection policy... I would guess that your order will be canceled after you place it..
I have used these guys many times with no issue
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/HIKVISION-20-meters-1080P-IR-dome-network-cameras-support-POE-DS-2CD2732F-IS-popular-onvif-3mp/514412_1414666334.html

alexksj

n3wb
Reaction score
I pulled the trigger on the weekend for 2 2732 cameras at $90 each. Status changed to shipped today. I'll keep you posted it I get a box with stones...

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Please let us know if you get them. This seller is $20-$25 cheaper with the 2032-l at times. Hope you get'em!

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I saw the camera on Aliexpress for a price that sounds too good to be true: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/HIKVISION-DS-2CD2732F-IS-New-High-Quality-varifocal-lense-3MP-IR-dome-security-network-ip-cameras/32230557275.html, and it's advertised as the varifocal version. Have you heard about this seller, and is the Buyer Protection/Feedback system trustwothy for Aliexpress?
Mmmh that price is indeed very low... ANd from his feedback, he does not have any votes for cameras, he just started selling them now.

I do not know how does the protection system for Aliexpress work, but I might give it a shot with one unit.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The buyer protection on Aliexpress seems quite sound and extensive - it's a closed-loop where the buyer has to acknowledge receipt of the correct product within the specified delivery time in order to complete the transaction.
I believe the payment is an escrow system, though I'm not 100% sure of that.

A few weeks back I ordered a couple of Hikvision cameras that were listed at a good price. Aliexpress automated systems identified 'unsafe trading practice' against the seller, though gave no details, and required from the seller documentary proof within 3 days of the transaction details. That apparently wasn't forthcoming, so a few days later Aliexpress actioned a full refund.
I do use a pre-paid credit card for these offshore purchases though, in order to limit the potential exposure.

Greyblack

n3wb
Reaction score
I pulled the trigger on the weekend for 2 2732 cameras at $90 each. Status changed to shipped today. I'll keep you posted it I get a box with stones...
Let us know what happens, I see the seller has removed them from being available now. Stolen, knock off, scam or legit. Let us know if and when you get them.

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Huh, that's weird, when I click on the link, it tells me this item is no longer available.
Sorry about that, you are correct.

When seeing the product I purchased I read: "This is a snapshot of the product taken when the order was placed,the product may have been edited. - View current product"

I did not notice that the current product was not available any more.

Looking at the feedback from the seller, something does not look so good. He has feedback from 3 buyers that got Hikvision cameras from him; the 3 buyers left feedback 5/Dic at 19:29, 19:30 and 19:32. The three buyers registered on Aliexpress on 2/Dic and 3/Dic. Not a chance I believe three random guys from USA and UK bought 6 Hikvision cameras, got them in less than 72 hours, and left feedback with 3 minute difference.

So I am quite positive I will have to find out how Aliexpress buyers protection program works.

Edit: 92 units sold, going back to 10/Nov, and noone has given feedback yet on the product... mmh

Greyblack

n3wb
Reaction score
I saw that too. Either no one is leaving feedback, or I smell a rat. Unfortunately, I lean towards the rat.

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So do I. $90 x 92 units is quite an ammount of cash in China. But I would have thought that the way Aliexpress worked the "seller" does not receive the money until the buyer says it has received the product.

I have actually been given a tracking number, but it doesn't show any activity. I doubt I will receive any package, but if I do I will make sure to get it on camera when I open it.

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I want to know how he faked his feedback ratings with no feedback...

*rayman*

n3wb
Reaction score
I ordered 2 x 2732's. Can't open a dispute yet, as the item is marked as shipped and i have to wait 5 days before opening a dispute. What are you guys going to do as a course of action?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Aliexpress operate a comprehensive buyer protection system.
They have automated systems checking for unusual or suspicious behaviour, which will email you if there are any findings.
They operate an escrow system for payments, the seller does not get any money until the buyer confirms they have received the goods, and are happy with them, within the offered delivery timescale. A full refund if you don't receive your order.
And it can take 5-10 days for tracking information to appear on the China Post Airmail tracking system - that's quite slow.

But it does look like Stone Fashion has shut up shop.

alexksj

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

the order was a dud, Stone Fashion's China Mail tracking # was a fake that never appeared in the system. I opened a dispute with Aliexpress and got word yesterday that I'm getting my money back because the merchant never responded. No harm done besides waiting a month. I wonder what the angle is for a merchant doing such a scam, they would never see the money from Ali Baba.

Regards,
Alex

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Same here. I didn't even have to open dispute on aliexpress, I got an email leting me know that the order was "frozen due to suspicious seller activity", and a few days later another one saying it was cancelled, and I would get a refund in 7-10 days.