Access camera footage on Mac

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has anybody found a solution to use a plugin or anything else on a Mac? I like to access footage directly on the camera console to pan/tilt since it doesn't work very well on blue iris for me

If a plugin doesn't exist for Safari or other browser, is there any other app I could use

Thanks

trapper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have been using Smart Pss on my Mac for a few years very easy to use, no issues

trapper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
no my Mac is end of life 2011 version. trying to figure out next computer. for me Macs are so easy, I struggle with windows

tmxv4128

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
no my Mac is end of life 2011 version. trying to figure out next computer. for me Macs are so easy, I struggle with windows
Uh oh, you are going to have problems running anything that won't crash. I agree, Macs are the best, but with some things I still have to use a PC with Internet Explorer, which is why my older MacBook Pro is running BootCamp so it can have Windows 10 installed on it. A couple of my cameras N55DU82 have to be accessed through a PC to get to the white light settings, and my two 49225 PTZ's also have to use IE on a PC. However, for everything else the Mac is perfectly capable. Once I got a Mac with the M1 chip and switched over to that version of SmartPSS, it was amazing. The Mac version will run circles around the PC version, even when compared to a more powerful PC.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
dont overpay 4-6x for a mac, pickup a nice windows machine for 300 bux and enjoy.

trapper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
For IE logging into cameras I use an old Asus with windows 10 laptop. I have to keep it plugged into the wall because the battery died. I am too cheap to replace it. I get too frustrated trying to do tasks on windows requires 3 to 4 steps to do task plus watch u tube videos phone a friend ect ect . with Mac mouse click or a file drag and task done. My brain freezes with windows:(

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
For IE logging into cameras I use an old Asus with windows 10 laptop. I have to keep it plugged into the wall because the battery died. I am too cheap to replace it. I get too frustrated trying to do tasks on windows requires 3 to 4 steps to do task plus watch u tube videos phone a friend ect ect . with Mac mouse click or a file drag and task done. My brain freezes with windows:(
What takes 3-4 steps in windows? You are using a 12 year old device that is no longer receiving security updates - you are at great risk.

quest100

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yep, SmartPSS is the best option for us Mac users. Hopefully you are using a newer Mac because the Intel version is really slow and buggy. M1 version works great.
After seeing this I decided to give SmartPSS another try since I have a M1 Mac. Downloaded and installed the latest version. Some problems:

1) When I go to <Device CFG --> select a camera --> Camera --> Camera> the program is unusable. Whatever I do results in a click sound. My guess is that the setting window, with its video, is not visible and I am unable to proceed until it is cleared. This makes it impossible to set any of the image parameters. Everything else under <Device CF> seems to work and pops up a window to set parameters. None of the other popups contain video. These popups cause the same clicking unless the cursor is within the popup. Also, Live View works correctly and displays the IVS rules.

2) My ITC437-PW6M-IZ-GN, bought from Andy, can not be adjusted under <Device CFG>. All of my other cameras can be selected and adjusted. Apparently the cameras are not recognized as being Dahua. The ANPR is the only camera not listed as <IPC>. This is the main reason I wanted to try SmartPSS - my video setting and the results in Blue Iris don't agree.

3) Half the features shown in the Wiki are missing. I assume this is a Windows vs Mac thing, with the Windows version having all the listed features?

tmxv4128

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
After seeing this I decided to give SmartPSS another try since I have a M1 Mac. Downloaded and installed the latest version. Some problems:

1) When I go to <Device CFG --> select a camera --> Camera --> Camera> the program is unusable. Whatever I do results in a click sound. My guess is that the setting window, with its video, is not visible and I am unable to proceed until it is cleared. This makes it impossible to set any of the image parameters. Everything else under <Device CF> seems to work and pops up a window to set parameters. None of the other popups contain video. These popups cause the same clicking unless the cursor is within the popup. Also, Live View works correctly and displays the IVS rules.

2) My ITC437-PW6M-IZ-GN, bought from Andy, can not be adjusted under <Device CFG>. All of my other cameras can be selected and adjusted. Apparently the cameras are not recognized as being Dahua. The ANPR is the only camera not listed as <IPC>. This is the main reason I wanted to try SmartPSS - my video setting and the results in Blue Iris don't agree.

3) Half the features shown in the Wiki are missing. I assume this is a Windows vs Mac thing, with the Windows version having all the listed features?
I am using a MacMini with a M1 chip, and it is working fine with SmartPSS. Can you post a screenshot of what is happening? This is what it looks like on my Mac after clicking <Device CFG>
. smartpss.jpg

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
I have Security Spy running on a Mac Mini M1. It does a pretty good job of just viewing the cameras and manually pan, tilting, etc. You can break them out of the window and just look and operate 1 cam or group them all together. I have BI running on a USFF Lenovo with Win 7 Pro, with 2 drives and 32GB of memory.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
I can't even get Smart PSS to install on my Mac. Mac OS keeps prohibiting it. I am running Ventura 13.4.1

quest100

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When I click on <Encode> I get

Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 5.45.40 PM.png

Which is what I would expect. If I click within the main SmartPSS window I hear the click and nothing happens. Also, if I do the four finger swipe up to expose all windows the popup does not appear - only the SmartPSS. I am able to drag the popup around.

When I click on <Camera> I get

Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 5.46.05 PM.png

No change and no popup. Same behavior when I click in the main SmartPSS window. I am unable to do anything within SmartPSS and end up having to force quit it. I have hidden all other programs and looked on both monitors and all desktops. Still no popup.

I have no NVR in my system, unlike your image.

quest100

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I can't even get Smart PSS to install on my Mac. Mac OS keeps prohibiting it. I am running Ventura 13.4.1
Look in the wiki - it tells you how to allow SmartPSS to run the first time. In <System Settings --> Privacy & Security> scroll to the bottom. There will be an item asking if you want to run SmartPSS. Not needed for future runs. I am also running 13.4.1.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Look in the wiki - it tells you how to allow SmartPSS to run the first time. In <System Settings --> Privacy & Security> scroll to the bottom. There will be an item asking if you want to run SmartPSS. Not needed for future runs. I am also running 13.4.1.
Yep, just got it installed. Thanks. Funny the auto scan feature can't seem to find any cameras on the correct network. I guess i will try to add them manually.

quest100

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yep, just got it installed. Thanks. Funny the auto scan feature can't seem to find any cameras on the correct network. I guess i will try to add them manually.
Make sure you can access the camera directly through a web browser. In my case I had to specify the different subnet that the cameras were on (In <Auto Search --> Device Segment --> Search>). After that they showed up with no problems.