Safari plugin for Dahua IPCs.

jiriteach

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This is a common occurrence now. I've tested several combinations and have got bits and pieces to work but its becoming hard on MacOS. With the latest MacOS Mojave coming later this year - none of it works. I have to use a Windows machine to change configuration but then again don't have to do this very often.

Once setup - I now use a CameraProxy to stream the feeds which means no browser plugin required for viewing - Camera Proxy application to unify and secure your IP camera live-viewing
I've been working on an update UI (see the latest post) and this actually works really well.

ik8sqi

n3wb
Reaction score
This is how I am often able to trick many websites in making the video play even if they are looking for useless plugins. It worked with my Dahua
HDBW5831R 8MP. No plugin needed.

Use Safari's developer tools to change the user agent to be an iPad. The video will play on your Macos High Sierra just fine now as it makes the website think your browser can only support H264.

To enable the developer tools - click on Safari - Preferences - Advanced - Show Develop menu in menu bar.

Then click on the menu bar on Develop - User Agent - Safari -- iOS 11 -- iPad

quest100

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have found nothing that will allow me to see video on a Mac
running High Sierra 11.13.6 and Safari 11.3.

Tried using the Develop - UserAgent - - - iPad. Did not work for me on the NVR5216 or three different cameras (4239, 5231, and 81230). All bought within the last couple of weeks from Andy.

Ron75077

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think this needs to be fixed by Dahua with a new plugin. Using Safari, Firefox, Chrome... Nothing from a video perspective. I am just using the web server on the camera... If anyone has a fix I would love to know what it is. Still on high Sierra on one Mac. The OS doesn't matter, the version of Safari doesn't matter. This is miserable Hour wasted for something that should just work.

Ron75077

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Foscam had a similar problem. New SW for the cameras and now no problem. Dahua can fix this.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think this needs to be fixed by Dahua with a new plugin. Using Safari, Firefox, Chrome... Nothing from a video perspective. I am just using the web server on the camera... If anyone has a fix I would love to know what it is. Still on high Sierra on one Mac. The OS doesn't matter, the version of Safari doesn't matter. This is miserable Hour wasted for something that should just work.
No plugins. Plugins are DEAD. Every major browser is dropping plugin support.

Dahua is working on other options using hls, web-rtc, or unfortunately flash. Hopefully they are able to release updated firmware for many of their devices that adds plugin-less video. Currently your best option is to use a refurbished pc running the VMS software of your choice instead of an NVR.

Last edited:

quest100

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I forgot to reply yesterday to this thread with the solution provided to me by tangent. See Dahua versus an Apple eco system for more details on my path.

I now have a web browser working using FireFox ESR 52. This is after I updated my Mac to macOS Mojave, 10.14.Biggest problems were finding this version, then not letting autoupdate change it to a later version that does not work, and then the plugin crashes in live view. At least I can setup IVS complete with region overlays. For a live view I use Smart PSS.

Ron75077

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Plugins are dead. This is a Dahua issue. Having us perform unnatural acts vs them fixing it seems unreasonable. This seems to be taking an unreasonably long time. I doubt plugins going away caught everyone off guard. Nonetheless we are where we are. Would love an idea of when to expect a fix. TIA

nighwalker

n3wb
Reaction score
This blows, both my Dahua and Hikvision cameras have shat the bed with my upgrade to Mojave / safari 12. Can it be that hard for it to work. I use Synology surveylance station and it displays the cameras just fine. I now u have to dust off my old Windows machine to change trigger zones on the cameras!! Only paid about $65 each for cameras so I guess i’ll Be looking for some supported POE cameras in the future. Nice cameras though.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This blows, both my Dahua and Hikvision cameras have shat the bed with my upgrade to Mojave / safari 12. Can it be that hard for it to work. I use Synology surveylance station and it displays the cameras just fine. I now u have to dust off my old Windows machine to change trigger zones on the cameras!! Only paid about $65 each for cameras so I guess i’ll Be looking for some supported POE cameras in the future. Nice cameras though.
Firefox ESR 52 works, but may require you to do some things to allow the plugins. You also have to disable automatic updates.
What I would do is rename it "Firefox ESR.app" and then right click it and lock it which might be enough to block the auto update.
This way you can keep a newer copy of firefox and only use the old one for your cameras.

In other words, copy it out of the dmg to some other location like your desktop. Then rename it, move it to applications, and lock it.

Last edited:

nighwalker

n3wb
Reaction score
Couldn’t see how to download this without having to compile? I have an old Windows 7 laptop could not even install the plug-in properly from hike vision! Very frustrating I Wonder how people actually edit the detection zones on the cameras? Looks like I will need to be getting hold of a Windows laptop with a bit more power? What a joke!

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Couldn’t see how to download this without having to compile? I have an old Windows 7 laptop could not even install the plug-in properly from hike vision! Very frustrating I Wonder how people actually edit the detection zones on the cameras? Looks like I will need to be getting hold of a Windows laptop with a bit more power? What a joke!
On windows 7, for Hikvision, use Internet Explorer or IE Tab on chrome. Palemoon may also work for Hikvision on windows.

Here's a dowload link for Firefox ESR 52 the last version to support plugins:
Directory Listing: /pub/firefox/releases/52.9.0esr/
The Mac version is here: Directory Listing: /pub/firefox/releases/52.9.0esr/mac/en-US/

Don't use this to browse other websites, use it for cameras only. Mozilla also has a warning the using old versions concurrent with new versions could mess up your user profile and you may need to use the profile manager to launch a dedicated profile for esr 52.

nighwalker

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, Great thanks - took 5 mins and I now am able to at least change the camera's detection zones where the robbery occurred (on my Hikvison) It seems to work somewhat OK with my Dahua's but then the video goes to solid red and craps out .

I think my biggest issue is with detection, just too much contrast with the Colorado sunshine, moving branches and the camera detection sensitivity too high or too low. I am getting the camera to trigger surveillance station so perhaps I should just record 24x7 on all 3 of then and assign some more storage to them on the NAS. Afraid of overwhelming the network but they don't appear to be consuming more than 500 Kb/s each so should be ok I guess on the gigabit ethernet network.

The bike thief was out of the cameras trigger zone :( so I was pretty pissed at myself but such is life. I'm sure they were just lucky.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, Great thanks - took 5 mins and I now am able to at least change the camera's detection zones where the robbery occurred (on my Hikvison) It seems to work somewhat OK with my Dahua's but then the video goes to solid red and craps out .

I think my biggest issue is with detection, just too much contrast with the Colorado sunshine, moving branches and the camera detection sensitivity too high or too low. I am getting the camera to trigger surveillance station so perhaps I should just record 24x7 on all 3 of then and assign some more storage to them on the NAS. Afraid of overwhelming the network but they don't appear to be consuming more than 500 Kb/s each so should be ok I guess on the gigabit ethernet network.

The bike thief was out of the cameras trigger zone :( so I was pretty pissed at myself but such is life. I'm sure they were just lucky.
Storage is pretty cheap these days. Record continuous 24-7 and use motion detection, ivs, zone crossing, etc to flag when something happens. This way you can find those events that don't manage to trigger. An 8TB hard drive is cheaper than your stolen bike.