Accessing BI with OpenVPN

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah that's fine. Did you try the other suggestions I made?

If that doesn't work, take a screenshot of your server settings in BI and post it here.
Push to LAN is on Yes
Direct to Clients is on Yes

Uncheck that and reload the opvn file?

Reaction score
BTW, to change your LAN IP address to something like 192.168.5.xxx. Log into your Asus router, click on the "LAN" tab on the bottom left, make sure your under the "LAN IP" tab on the top left, in the box that says "IP Address" change the address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.5.1 and hit apply. Once this is done, you'll have to type 192.168.5.1 into the address bar of your browser to access your router. It's also going to change all of the IP addresses on your local network, so if you have DHCP reservations, you should probably delete them before you make the change.

It also looks like all of your settings are the same as mine, it has to be a setting on your BI server or in your BI app

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
BTW, to change your LAN IP address to something like 192.168.5.xxx. Log into your Asus router, click on the "LAN" tab on the bottom left, make sure your under the "LAN IP" tab on the top left, in the box that says "IP Address" change the address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.5.1 and hit apply. Once this is done, you'll have to type 192.168.5.1 into the address bar of your browser to access your router. It's also going to change all of the IP addresses on your local network, so if you have DHCP reservations, you should probably delete them before you make the change.

It also looks like all of your settings are the same as mine, it has to be a setting on your BI server or in your BI app
And this is what worked for you when you had a similar problem then?

Reaction score
BI App. I blocked off the WAN address but it matches the server address

Try this, in your BI app, delete everything under "LAN" and "WAN". Under the "WAN" box type 192.168.1.17:80 and make sure your username and password is correct. Make sure your wifi is turned off on your phone when you do this.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Try this, in your BI app, delete everything under "LAN" and "WAN". Under the "WAN" box type 192.168.1.17:80 and make sure your username and password is correct. Make sure your wifi is turned off on your phone when you do this.
Dude this worked. Unless something is just temporarily effed up and by a stroke of luck worked, this did it. I'm gonna try to connected again as soon as I get on the wifi at work tonight but right now, wifi is off on my phone, i connected with the OpenVPN app and then opened the BI app and it connects. Video streams thru and the time is correct on it.

Fingers crossed, i'll post back in about an hour

Reaction score
No problem, it should work unless the network at work assigns your iphone an ip address in the range of 192.168.1.xxx. In this case the way to overcome that issue is to change your network address to something unusual such as 192.168.5.xxx

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
alright well I didn't change the IP address, but I got to work, tried logging in thru the VPN on works wifi and the BI server still wouldn't connect. Some error message.

But on a positive note, if I turn off wifi, connect via VPN on cellular and then open BI, it works. So either way I have access to the BI Server outside of my home LAN which is all I was looking to fix.

Work does give it an IP address in that range so that's prob the issue but as long as I have a work around, I'm happy.

Thanks again for all the help dude!

Reaction score
No problem, if you change your LAN IP address it would make it a lot easier.

BTW your BI computer should have a DHCP reservation and you should make the IP static, same for the cameras.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No problem, if you change your LAN IP address it would make it a lot easier.

BTW your BI computer should have a DHCP reservation and you should make the IP static, same for the cameras.
Is there any drawback to changing my LAN IP address?

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, and before I do this, you said make them static in the DHCP Reservation list. Would I do this before or after changing the LAN IP?

Mel Patto

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok I have exactly the same problem and have done everything stated above and got to the same point. I can connect with open VPN to BI at my office on my phone with Verizon wireless but not when I am on my home wifi. My question is am I changing the IP address of my phone on the home network or the IP address of the computer at work that has BI on it?