Accessing BI with OpenVPN

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Try this, in your BI app, delete everything under "LAN" and "WAN". Under the "WAN" box type 192.168.1.17:80 and make sure your username and password is correct. Make sure your wifi is turned off on your phone when you do this.
If he is using a vpn how come he needs to port forward port 80??

Mel Patto

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I do not think they are port forwarding 80, I think that is the port BI is using. On mine I have port 81 with no ports open. It works on verizon wireless, my work network, but not when my phone is on my home wifi.

Reaction score
Ok I have exactly the same problem and have done everything stated above and got to the same point. I can connect with open VPN to BI at my office on my phone with Verizon wireless but not when I am on my home wifi. My question is am I changing the IP address of my phone on the home network or the IP address of the computer at work that has BI on it?
I need more details. Where is the BI computer located? Home or Office? What is the local IP address at the BI location (ex 192.168.1.xxx)? What router are you using?

Reaction score
If he is using a vpn how come he needs to port forward port 80??
I didn't mention anything about port forwarding. Port 80 is the port the BI server is using. You need to include the port number in the server address box regardless if you're connecting to it via VPN or not.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd reckon you can't change the LAN at work unless you own the business and control the network there. It's not about changing the IP it's about changing the LAN in the router settings. Right now it's prob 192.168.1.xxx. Which is Prob what your work one is. You're better off changing your home LAN to something like 192.168.20.xxx or 192.168.5.xxx. That's where the conflict lies. All the devices on your home network should automatically adjust or at most you'd have to restart them. Just modify the camera IPs manually before you change it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mel Patto

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I need more details. Where is the BI computer located? Home or Office? What is the local IP address at the BI location (ex 192.168.1.xxx)? What router are you using?
BI computer at office
Local ip for BI computer 192.168.1.18 using port 81
Router at office Asus RT-AC68U

Thank you so much, I followed all you previous instructions and can get in but only through the phones LTE not when I get home and get on house WIFI

Reaction score
@PSPCommOp most likely described your issue. Whats your local ip address at your house? is it also 192.168.1.xxx? If so that's your problem. What router are you using at home?

Reaction score
Yup that's your problem. You have two options. Either change the local ip address at your house to something other than 192.168.1.xxx or change it at your work. If you can change it at your work that would be the better option.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
House router is an old Linksys E4200 ip is 192.168.1.1
Yeah u need to change that first 1 to something else like I mentioned above. Once you decide what you want it as, say 192.168.20.xxx, Just manually go in and do each camera first, then go in and do the LAN in the router settings. Reboot and you'll be good to go, that's exactly what I needed to do and it worked like a charm.

Mel Patto

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah u need to change that first 1 to something else like I mentioned above. Once you decide what you want it as, say 192.168.20.xxx, Just manually go in and do each camera first, then go in and do the LAN in the router settings. Reboot and you'll be good to go, that's exactly what I needed to do and it worked like a charm.

So when I get to work I will change the ip of the computer that has BI and the cameras, and before I do that I will change the cameras static address. I assume I change the computer address in the modem?

Will let you know how it goes. Thanks again for your help

Reaction score
So when I get to work I will change the ip of the computer that has BI and the cameras, and before I do that I will change the cameras static address. I assume I change the computer address in the modem?

Will let you know how it goes. Thanks again for your help

You have to make these changes in the router. If the computer and cameras do not have a static IP and/or DHCP reservations they will change when the router reboots. You will then have to reconfigure the cameras in BI to the correct IP address in order for BI to connect to the cameras. I HIGHLY recommend giving the computer and IP cameras a DHCP reservation in the router, then making that IP address static in each individual camera and on the BI computer.

If you don't do this, the cameras can drop connection if the router goes offline.

Mel Patto

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You have to make these changes in the router. If the computer and cameras do not have a static IP and/or DHCP reservations they will change when the router reboots. You will then have to reconfigure the cameras in BI to the correct IP address in order for BI to connect to the cameras. I HIGHLY recommend giving the computer and IP cameras a DHCP reservation in the router, then making that IP address static in each individual camera and on the BI computer.

If you don't do this, the cameras can drop connection if the router goes offline.
So in the router I will got to LAN and change 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.20.1. And that will be how I enter the router in the future? DO I also need to a new file for the VPN client? The cameras are all static leave them alone or change prior to DHCP? Sorry for all the question, thanks again

Mel Patto

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'd reckon you can't change the LAN at work unless you own the business and control the network there. It's not about changing the IP it's about changing the LAN in the router settings. Right now it's prob 192.168.1.xxx. Which is Prob what your work one is. You're better off changing your home LAN to something like 192.168.20.xxx or 192.168.5.xxx. That's where the conflict lies. All the devices on your home network should automatically adjust or at most you'd have to restart them. Just modify the camera IPs manually before you change it.

That's a good point about changing home and not work. I happen to be the owner so it's not an issue and actually my home network has more on it. Work network only has the cameras and 1 computer for BI. All the other computers are on a separate network.

Reaction score
Yes, that's how you will enter the router in the future, you will also need to export a new VPN file.

If the cameras are all static, you will need to change them to reflect the new local ip address or you won't be able to access them.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Most likely the network without the cameras is the better one to change as you won't need to manually go in and change the IPs of each.

When you do change the LAN. Everything will lose connectivity for a very short period of time until the devices reconnect so be aware of that.

Mel Patto

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Most likely the network without the cameras is the better one to change as you won't need to manually go in and change the IPs of each.

When you do change the LAN. Everything will lose connectivity for a very short period of time until the devices reconnect so be aware of that.

I took your advice and installed a new Asus Router at home. All your advice worked perfectly, thanks again for all you help !!!

Reaction score
Just keep in mind, by not changing the local IP address at the camera location, you might have the same problem of not being able to connect if you're on another network with the same local IP address as the camera location (friends house, relatives house etc). 192.168.1.xxx is very common.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just keep in mind, by not changing the local IP address at the camera location, you might have the same problem of not being able to connect if you're on another network with the same local IP address as the camera location (friends house, relatives house etc). 192.168.1.xxx is very common.
Correct. There's always the chance setting it to a random one will coincide with another network you are on, but as long as you stay away from the common ones (192.168.0.xxx or 192.168.1.xxx), most likely you'll be fine.