Actual Power Consumption vs CPU Load

JK200SX

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
(I posted this elsewhere in:
but it probably makes more sense to post it separately in its own thread here)

I'm still new to BI and last night I followed the optimisation steps to try and reduce cpu load.

The system I'm using is an i5-6600, 16GB ram, WD purple for storage and a 256GB NVME drive for the system. I've currently only got 3 cameras and they are on motion record. I also have a power meeting plugged into the power point that the lead for the pc is plugged into (eg a Kil-a-watt in the US....or the meter supplied at Jaycar in Aus).

With my initial setup I had a cpu load at approx 30%, and the power draw from the wall was sitting at 28-30watts. After the optimisation, the cpu load dropped to approx 22%, however the power consumption of the pc rose to approx 38 watts.

I was hoping to reduce the power consumption due to the optimisation, but that wasn't the case. And, as I did the optimisation steps all together, and then rebooted the system, I'm not to sure which of the improvements lead to the higher power consumption.

Has anyone else looked at the power consumption of their rig and what could be done to reduce the power usage, rather than just cpu load?

JK200SX

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok, so I'm assuming no one on the forum has done any testing with a meter?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
ok, so I'm assuming no one on the forum has done any testing with a meter?
No. You are assuming that 1) everyone on the forum read your post. 2) Anyone who read your post who has the response cares to or wants to answer your question. There is no 24 hour response time guarantee.