Adding a 2nd router to a 32 camera system

tjlmbklr

n3wb
Reaction score
No, we recognize that you do not have wifi cameras, but what you are saying is that the hardwired cameras will be connected to POE switch that is connected to the wifi router for internet.

You said in your edited post "My goal for them is to add a 2nd router with wifi so they can not only have internet (< internet only) in the back building but to have it and the PoE switch all on the same network." and in another post "utilize the one LAN I have running from the source router in the front office and have wifi (for internet only) and the rest of the cameras connected via the provided PoE switch" That is the cameras going thru the router.

That is considered having the cameras go thru the router, even if the router is not "routing" the cameras. If point A is the cameras and Point B is the NVR and the router is anywhere in between them on the same line, that is considered going thru the router. Plus that then brings up the whole potential of exposing the network to cameras that can talk to the internet.

While not exactly the same issue as it is BI and not an NVR, they are both a VMS system and the results would be the same, but here is a thread from yesterday where someone had a similar setup (POE switch with hardwired cameras connected to the router (thus going thru the router) and when the router lost internet, he lost the cameras as well even though the router wasn't routing the traffic.

So then put a switch after the ISP modem, the one feeds to the front office wifi router and one to the NVR 300' away?

tjlmbklr

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok 'm off to work.....With your help im sure hell get it sorted out.....
Has anyone mentioned the Ceiling on an NVR using all 32 channels?
@bigredfish
I've heard stories about better results using 80-90% of NVR's capacity to mitigate FPS throttling and Streaming limits.
It's alot of math...im not good at math.....
If you fill every allowable port on some of these NVR's.....there are stories.....
later dudes.
This is a system that Lorex sells. The NVR feeds 16 cameras and the PoE switch feeds the remaining 16.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just because they sell an NVR that is 32 channel doesn't mean that it can handle 32 channels of high MP cameras.

There are folks here with less than 32 cameras but have to run 3 or 4 NVRs because they have high MP cameras because one NVR cannot handle the bandwidth.

@Parley is one that comes to mind that has to run multiple NVRs.

tjlmbklr

n3wb
Reaction score
Just because they sell an NVR that is 32 channel doesn't mean that it can handle 32 channels of high MP cameras.

There are folks here with less than 32 cameras but have to run 3 or 4 NVRs because they have high MP cameras because one NVR cannot handle the bandwidth.

@Parley is one that comes to mind that has to run multiple NVRs.
That's a bridge we will have to cross when the time comes. They bought the system long before I agreed to help them. They are commited to it now.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok 'm off to work.....With your help im sure hell get it sorted out.....
Has anyone mentioned the Ceiling on an NVR using all 32 channels?
@bigredfish
I've heard stories about better results using 80-90% of NVR's capacity to mitigate FPS throttling and Streaming limits.
It's alot of math...im not good at math.....
If you fill every allowable port on some of these NVR's.....there are stories.....
later dudes.
Yeah it depends on the resolution of the cameras. I have a buddy who max’d out a 24 ch 5224 with all 4MP cameras at 8192 and 30 FPS and things began to get jerky. We backed down 3-4 of them to 15FPS and 6144 and things are fine.