Advice for first time Blue Iris user

IMF

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

Hoping someone can give me some pointers here while I trial the Blue Iris software. Apologies for the long post but just wanted to make sure I cover everything!

I currently use a Hikvision NVR for all my CCTV needs with 1 bullet and 2 dome camera's. My NVR is the DS-7604NI-E1 / 4P which is basically the same as the 7608 but with 4 ports instead of 8. This is connected to a GB switch and my whole house is wired with CAT6 cables.

My main gripes with this NVR are:
1. That ridiculous plugin which I can't get to run on any browser apart from IE
2. The lack of ability to install camera's and use features such as motion detection when the camera is not Hikvision branded
3. The lack of real customisation to alerts (i.e. no push, no proper scheduling for it to start sending alerts when I leave the house etc).
4. Rubbish mobile apps.
5. I'm limited to only 4 cameras (I have 4 other cameras, none of which are worth using with this NVR as motion detection just doesn't work on them!)

I've tried the Blue Iris software (trial) for a couple of days now and I can't seem to get the camera settings right for motion detection to work right so hoping someone can help. This is what I'm experiencing:
1. Motion detection seems to really lag. I have a camera indoors at the top of the stairs and it doesn't start to record until I get to the top of the stairs. I've adjusted to pre-record 2 seconds as well. Also both my two outdoor cameras sometimes miss a car driving past if there's someone speeding on my road.
2. When it is recording the motion, it'll suddenly stop/cut out. So if I'm wondering about on my landing for around 30s, it'll only have recorded me being up there for 15s and then just cut out. From the video recorded I just vanish like I'm Keyser Soze. Is this a limitation of the trial or my settings?
3. Last night my wife got up to get the baby crying from her room and bring her into our room. This wasn't captured at all by Blue Iris but was captured by my NVR.
4. A lot of the alerts on Blue Iris is the sun rising and the light changing. An example is that on my NVR for a camera watching just my drive I had 9 alerts between midnight and 7am. Those 9 alerts were 4 cars driving past, 1 fox and 4 cats. On the Blue Iris I had about 20 alerts of which it was 2 cars driving past and the rest just light changes with the sun rising. It missed 2 cars and the animals in my area (I have reduced the pixel size).
5. The overall picture quality isn't as good as the NVR and the frame rate is a little choppy. I'm thinking this may be a cause of the poor motion detection?

I'm actually trialling this on a laptop with the following specs:
Windows 10 Pro
i7 3630QM
16GB Ram
500GB SSD
NVidia NVS 5200M AND Intel HD Graphics 4000 (it has 2 GFX cards)
GB network plugged into a GB router.
CPU usage seems to be constantly around the 27% mark.
I'm connecting to the camera's through the NVR in Blue Iris (glad that part was so easy to setup!).

I also have a server which is on 24/7 that I can use (but havn't tried Blue Iris on yet) that is used as my Plex Server and also for some basic video/photo editing with the following specs:
Windows Server 2016
Xeon E3-1225
16GB Ram
250GB SSD for OS
4TB of storage (2 x 2TB arrays)
2GB GTX 750Ti Graphics
GB Network connected to GB router.

Any help/advice would be very much appreciated!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Hoping someone can give me some pointers here while I trial the Blue Iris software. Apologies for the long post but just wanted to make sure I cover everything!

I currently use a Hikvision NVR for all my CCTV needs with 1 bullet and 2 dome camera's. My NVR is the DS-7604NI-E1 / 4P which is basically the same as the 7608 but with 4 ports instead of 8. This is connected to a GB switch and my whole house is wired with CAT6 cables.

My main gripes with this NVR are:
1. That ridiculous plugin which I can't get to run on any browser apart from IE
2. The lack of ability to install camera's and use features such as motion detection when the camera is not Hikvision branded
3. The lack of real customisation to alerts (i.e. no push, no proper scheduling for it to start sending alerts when I leave the house etc).
4. Rubbish mobile apps.
5. I'm limited to only 4 cameras (I have 4 other cameras, none of which are worth using with this NVR as motion detection just doesn't work on them!)

I've tried the Blue Iris software (trial) for a couple of days now and I can't seem to get the camera settings right for motion detection to work right so hoping someone can help. This is what I'm experiencing:
1. Motion detection seems to really lag. I have a camera indoors at the top of the stairs and it doesn't start to record until I get to the top of the stairs. I've adjusted to pre-record 2 seconds as well. Also both my two outdoor cameras sometimes miss a car driving past if there's someone speeding on my road.
2. When it is recording the motion, it'll suddenly stop/cut out. So if I'm wondering about on my landing for around 30s, it'll only have recorded me being up there for 15s and then just cut out. From the video recorded I just vanish like I'm Keyser Soze. Is this a limitation of the trial or my settings?
3. Last night my wife got up to get the baby crying from her room and bring her into our room. This wasn't captured at all by Blue Iris but was captured by my NVR.
4. A lot of the alerts on Blue Iris is the sun rising and the light changing. An example is that on my NVR for a camera watching just my drive I had 9 alerts between midnight and 7am. Those 9 alerts were 4 cars driving past, 1 fox and 4 cats. On the Blue Iris I had about 20 alerts of which it was 2 cars driving past and the rest just light changes with the sun rising. It missed 2 cars and the animals in my area (I have reduced the pixel size).
5. The overall picture quality isn't as good as the NVR and the frame rate is a little choppy. I'm thinking this may be a cause of the poor motion detection?

I'm actually trialling this on a laptop with the following specs:
Windows 10 Pro
i7 3630QM
16GB Ram
500GB SSD
NVidia NVS 5200M AND Intel HD Graphics 4000 (it has 2 GFX cards)
GB network plugged into a GB router.
CPU usage seems to be constantly around the 27% mark.
I'm connecting to the camera's through the NVR in Blue Iris (glad that part was so easy to setup!).

I also have a server which is on 24/7 that I can use (but havn't tried Blue Iris on yet) that is used as my Plex Server and also for some basic video/photo editing with the following specs:
Windows Server 2016
Xeon E3-1225
16GB Ram
250GB SSD for OS
4TB of storage (2 x 2TB arrays)
2GB GTX 750Ti Graphics
GB Network connected to GB router.

Any help/advice would be very much appreciated!
1) check your make time, set it to 0.7....in the camera itself match the iframe interval to the fps...blue iris, when using direct to disk recording only begins recording on the iframe....
2) Check your break time, and your motion settings, if you are not moving enough to cause a second trigger that will happen.
3) See above...use zone crossing, object, options to get very accurate motion detection....orders of magnitude better than the cams...you need to read the help file...
4) picture quality will be exactly the same as the nvr..make sure you set EACH camera to direct to disk recording...this is a must.