Advice on cameras i should be looking at.

Redemption

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,

I been reading on the forum and many of you seem to prefer HIKvision cameras. Currently I have an analog system and two of my cameras need replaced. So I decided to go with IP cameras. I have been looking at the new Ubiquiti G3 cameras, I read some info on the G2 and they appear to not be as good as advertised.

I would like to know what Hikvision model I should be looking at that is comparable or better than the ubiquiti G3. The reason I was considering that camera is because my whole network is comprised of Ubiquiti products and I am satisfied with their network devices. I want to record the video feed onto a vmware server and the recording software is free with ubiquiti. Not sure if there is a free version for Hikvision or an inexpensive recording software. However I am willing to pay for a software that has features that make it worth paying for it. Also I want one of my cameras to be able to record vehicle tag numbers and based on what i read here, there is software for that also.

Please point me on the right direction, I am willing to do my own homework, just want a starting point on things that I should be considering before making my purchase. I was hoping to buying yet today and have cameras overnight to me.

Thanks for help in advanced.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It is my opinion that Ubiquiti is years behind in price and firmware features compared to other reliable brands like Dahua and Hikvision, and for that reason I can't recommend Ubiquiti's cameras. I have to admit, I have not ever seen a G3 camera perform so maybe they've got comparable image quality now. I just don't know.

Last I checked, Ubiquiti cameras are tightly coupled with Ubiquiti's surveillance software. UniFi Video software only works with Ubiquiti cameras. Rumor has it that Ubiquiti G3 cameras have RTSP support with recent firmware ... this is something you would want to verify yourself if that matters to you. If they have RTSP, you can use them with other surveillance software.

Dahua and Hikvision both have a selection of 4MP cameras. Both are reliable, mature brands, and offer good image quality (again, I don't know how it compares to UBNT G3). Prices range from about $70 to $150 depending on where you order them and how fast of shipping you want. In particular, I know you can get Dahua 4MP turret cams for $110 or less via amazon prime. You get better prices and better lens selection if you order directly from a chinese seller on aliexpress, but that way takes weeks longer to arrive.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that if you buy china region hikvision, you will not be able to update the firmware - the camera will brick.

Redemption

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, I am looking at several Hikvision. What do most people use for recording software?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Redemption, I've got a lot of Hikvision cameras and they are excellent for lighted areas...but at night, not so good. They may be good enough for you at night, but for me and for many others here they are less than ideal. My best night-vision camera is the Longse LRDC60S500 5MP 3.6mm. Unfortunately this is a $150.00 camera, not a $70.00 camera like the Chinese Region Hikvision units. But the more I contemplate it the more I'm convinced that this is my best camera and I need I want more.

Here's an example of the night-time output of this the LRDC60S500 5MP 3.6mm (be sure to turn on the YouTube HD viewing setting)...

Last edited by a moderator:

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@ redemption.According to the gmail thread in hikvision cam section.if u want gmail notify then it's probably going to be a little hassle at the moment.need to mess around with email settings to see what works for u if u pick a hikvision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redemption

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Q2U, $150 is not unreasonable. The original Ubiquiti G3 that I was looking at was in that price range. I do have somne dark areas in the back of my home. What camera for $150 or less would you recommend? Thanks for the video, that is far better than what I currently have.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Q2U, $150 is not unreasonable. The original Ubiquiti G3 that I was looking at was in that price range. I do have somne dark areas in the back of my home. What camera for $150 or less would you recommend? Thanks for the video, that is far better than what I currently have.
Right now it would have to be the Longse LRDC60S500, but that is just my personal opinion. Others might say it is the Imporx

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
My top 2 cams mini Ptz v2 and Longse 4x auto zoom both imx322. S500 is good too but it's a fixed cam.

Redemption

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. The Ptx cams work with POE or is there additional power source needed? Also my switch is https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-EdgeSwitch-ES-48-500W-100-240VAC-Universal/dp/B00LV8YY34/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469245370&sr=8-1&keywords=Edge+Switch+48&tag=ipctk-20 Will these cameras work with that POE switch?

Thanks again for help. Reason I ask is cause I recall reading that Ubiquiti used to implement proprietary POE, not sure if their switch is now compatible with standard POE devices.

Tx

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Redemption

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Question,

I am reading a lot about people's bad experience with some of the chinese companies. I am shocked that one company as a condition to warranty they expect people not to leave negative feedback. Why do you guys deal with people like that, in my opinion that is a bad business practice and I rather Pay more for something I can buy in the states and get the warranty without the BS than pay less just o buy direct. So with that said, are there any comparable products that are main stream and easily accessible in the US?

One of my concerns is how unethical some of these companies are. The second concern is once that once they receive the money, they may abandon the product line, no further development and then you are stuck with an expensive paperweight.

I guess my question is, are there any other companies like ubiquiti, in the US that have have ass good cameras as those purchased from china.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Question,

I am reading a lot about people's bad experience with some of the chinese companies. I am shocked that one company as a condition to warranty they expect people not to leave negative feedback. Why do you guys deal with people like that, in my opinion that is a bad business practice and I rather Pay more for something I can buy in the states and get the warranty without the BS than pay less just o buy direct. So with that said, are there any comparable products that are main stream and easily accessible in the US?

One of my concerns is how unethical some of these companies are. The second concern is once that once they receive the money, they may abandon the product line, no further development and then you are stuck with an expensive paperweight.

I guess my question is, are there any other companies like ubiquiti, in the US that have have ass good cameras as those purchased from china.
Remeber that 99% cameras are all from China firstly and secondly when a US distributor sells you the Chinese camera they can say what ever they want as far as warranty. How they handle the warranty can vary and in the end what are you going to do if that camera you paid 50% more for the warranty is not honored sue them? Phone a lawyer for $500 bucks to get your money or warranty honored for the $150 camera? In the end all you really can do is trust the BRAND and it's history of reliability. As far as unethical that's funny look at TRUMP !

Redemption

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I purchase a lot on amazon and warranty never been an issue. In addition I purchase all my electronics with my amex Blue, as long as I do not buy extended warranty if anything dies in the second year they refund the full amount or they could have me send item for repairs. I have never had to send anything for repairs. They always credit my account for full purchase price. Only one time they requested I mail to them the broken merchandise at their expense. With that said, that 50 percent bargain will turn into a 100 percent loss as has been the case based on some of the posts on this forum. At best if they decide to fix a bricked item then you still spending on shipping nearly as much as you spent on the camera. If you are comfortable buying from china, all the power to you. I do not think that is the route I wish to take. Thanks for your post but you failed to address my question. I do like the mini PTZ, would love to find something comparable.

Are there any other companies like ubiquiti, in the US that have have ass good cameras as those purchased from china.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
... I am shocked that one company as a condition to warranty they expect people not to leave negative feedback. Why do you guys deal with people like that...
Because we're cheap fuQers.

And bear in mind that, of the dozen cameras I have purchased from AliExpress I only had one (1) bad experience. But I'm not a person who needs a lot of "technical support" and what I do need I can find here. In addition, I also understand the Hikvision "Chiese Region" firmware camera issues and I don't flash That Which Should Not Be Flashed.

Redemption

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Because we're cheap fuQers.

ROFLMAO I guess that is as good reason as any :) Thanks for the laugh. When I first looked at IP cameras, you could not purchase one with less than $600. Their prices have drop tremendously, with that said. There must be good mainstream cameras in the US. If anyone has some suggestions, I would be grateful. Thanks to everyone that has shared on the post their experience, I do appreciate the posts. Do not get me wrong if push came to shove, I would probably buy the cheaper route. But I want to install cameras this week and rather buy the amazon route if possible. To be fair when I made my first post, buying over seas was not even in the picture.

Redemption

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This kind of statement is a very...very...bad idea. Not for censorship...but for peace.

I agree with you and no worries, I will not be baited into a political debate. I came here to discuss cameras, not to discuss politics :)

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
U can check out nelly's secruity,wrightwood secruity or that milkisbad dude who deals for the lts company:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Right now it would have to be the Longse LRDC60S500, but that is just my personal opinion. Others might say it is the Imporx
Noobs shouldn't be purchasing Longse or Imporx. Noobs should be sticking to Dahua or Hikvision or similar for their first systems and really should be getting it local.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Remeber that 99% cameras are all from China firstly and secondly when a US distributor sells you the Chinese camera they can say what ever they want as far as warranty. How they handle the warranty can vary and in the end what are you going to do if that camera you paid 50% more for the warranty is not honored sue them? Phone a lawyer for $500 bucks to get your money or warranty honored for the $150 camera? In the end all you really can do is trust the BRAND and it's history of reliability. As far as unethical that's funny look at TRUMP !
The US suppliers recommenced here have always honored their warranties. Your statement is nonsense and VERY misleading. Furthermore you fail to understand the operation of the law. Most states if not all have codified their own version of a "consumer fraud act". This not only provides for double or treble damages, but more importantly contains a fee shifting provision. This allows an attorney to take on a case even if the damages suffered by the client are negligible.
You also purposely fail to note that the hacked china region cameras will brick if you attempt to update the firmware. Many uses including have been caught with their pants down when GMAIL stopped supporting SSL and their cameras were no longer sending emails.
With some models like the turrets there are build quality differences between the china region and US region cameras.
Bottom line is, the OP will be protected if he buys from a reputable established US dealer. Stop misleading and posting nonsense.