AI motion detection with BlueIris: an alternate approach

neile

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you read the section on high cpu usage?

Coloscott

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Did you read the section on high cpu usage?
Yes, but I read it again. I've changed the BI setting to only post a jpg in the AIINPUT directory when it sees motion so now I have to wait for an animal or somthing to trigger a jpg post (the system is remote and I can't just walk in front of one of the cameras).

Thanks again for your help.

gbdesai

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm having a strange problem. After I had to reinstall docker, my setup runs for about 15-20 hours then stops processing images. The containers are running, there are no errors in the logs, but they just stop processing anything. On restart it works again. Having a real hard time diagnosing this one.

I just restarted my server, but realized I should have checked CPU util and more importantly memory usage. I'll do that next time and see if I can find a correlation.

Coloscott

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm having a strange problem. After I had to reinstall docker, my setup runs for about 15-20 hours then stops processing images. The containers are running, there are no errors in the logs, but they just stop processing anything. On restart it works again. Having a real hard time diagnosing this one.
This is Docker on Windows I'm assuming? I was having this problem as well only mine would stop processing after only 6 or so hours. The "fix" that is working so far is to give it much less work to do by sending images only when a low resolution camera detects motion (these SD cameras are set to a very high sensitivity) and thus the AI engine is only having to analyze about a half dozen images per hour.

gbdesai

n3wb
Reaction score
I see. Yes, running on Windows docker. Funny thing is the PC is way overpowered, just a i9 gaming PC that I wasn't using, so even with BI running, it doesn't ever get too taxed.

I figured that I'd tell BI to also not save past a day of images in the directory, I had it set at 3 days, but that's a lot of image files in one directory...

I do currently have all of cameras, which are set to SD, sending images on motion, I have the cameras cloned and only record alerts if the deepstack config verifies motion. But maybe I can try to up the detection thresholds to send fewer images.

Thanks for the idea.

neile

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I highly recommend setting BI to clear the folder after 1 hr or 1GB of data. The more images you have in the folder the slower things will get due to how new file detection works.

Coloscott

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I see. Yes, running on Windows docker. Funny thing is the PC is way overpowered, just a i9 gaming PC that I wasn't using, so even with BI running, it doesn't ever get too taxed.

I figured that I'd tell BI to also not save past a day of images in the directory, I had it set at 3 days, but that's a lot of image files in one directory...

I do currently have all of cameras, which are set to SD, sending images on motion, I have the cameras cloned and only record alerts if the deepstack config verifies motion. But maybe I can try to up the detection thresholds to send fewer images.

Thanks for the idea.
Just to be clear, I have set the motion detection on the cloned or SD cameras to be very sensitive which will produce false detections but the AI engine will sort that out and only send a trigger to the HD version of the camera when one of the trigger definitions (person, dog, truck, car, etc...) is fired. This may send a lot of false motion images during fog, rain, snow, etc,... but it will be FAR LESS images then when I was having each clone SD camera send an image every 5 seconds regardless of motion or not which was overwhelming the AI engine in the Docker container and making it unstable / unreliable. And yes, I have BI keeping only an hour's worth of files in the AIINPUT directory.

gbdesai

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh yeah, sorry I wasn't clear that's exactly how I have mine set. Only alerts send images from the SD cams to Deepstack. However I have 15 cameras or something so quite a few images make there way over to deepstack. I should do an inventory of how many images are delivered at night which is when it seems to die most often, maybe too many images are going out too quickly.

neile

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Another thing you can do is look at splitting the camera images out into separate folders. Have a folder for, say, every 5 cameras, then update the watchPattern on the cameras to point to the correct sub-folder.

gbdesai

n3wb
Reaction score
I highly recommend setting BI to clear the folder after 1 hr or 1GB of data. The more images you have in the folder the slower things will get due to how new file detection works.
Ok cool. I have it set to 2GB, but can totally reduce that.

Arno Nel

n3wb
Reaction score
What is the correct workflow then?

1. Get image alert in Telegram
  2. Note time
  3. Open Blue Iris App
  4. Find clip based on time
  5. View Clip

?

neile

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, but in real world setups you don't get that many notifications, so chances are the clip you want is the first clip in the list.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Isn’t the camera triggered to alert in BI. That’s how I find all my clips of interest.

sn0000py

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hallo is it possible to store an annotateImage in a extra directory?

If i get a positive detecten of an interesting object, i would ike to store the Image with annotate of the object in a extra directory (Storeing them for same days)
It would be helpful to check why sometimes an object is detecting which i can't find in the video.

Arno Nel

n3wb
Reaction score
But how do you "link" from a notification direct to the clip? Can you share please? Tx :)

sn0000py

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
every positive detection i can see als triggered event in Blue Iris, i have the date and time, and jump in blue iris to this time too

neile

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
But how do you "link" from a notification direct to the clip? Can you share please? Tx :)
As I mentioned above this isn't supported. I'm not aware of any way to get the URL to the clip back from BlueIris after triggering the event.