Alexa Integration - Blue Iris 4

lucky13

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I currently have BI intergrated into my Alexa where I can disable and enable my camera or set them to snooze for 30 minutes..

I also have a Ring Doobell Pro that integrates really well with Alexa and tells you if there is motion with a spoken announcement or if someone presses the doorbell it displays video onto an Alex Show screen....is there anyway to get BI to integrate like this with Alexa...movement announcements would be great but video to the Alexa Show would be awesome :) ???

lucky13

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks I've already got that working via Monocle so that I can speak to Alexa and ask her to manually show me a particular camera but is there anyway to get Blue Iris to automatically activate this when Blue Iris detects movement ? i.e it automatically displays the video alert on the Alexa Show screen ?

lucky13

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks I've already got that working via Monocle so that I can speak to Alexa and ask her to manually show me a particular camera but is there anyway to get Blue Iris to automatically activate this when Blue Iris detects movement ? i.e it automatically displays the video alert on the Alexa Show screen ?
Could I for instance set up an IFTTT that takes the Blue Iris alert and then parses it to Alexa with the command "Show me the Driveway Cam" utilsing Monocle

lucky13

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
any idea if version 5 has better integration and might be able to do more with Alexa ?

lucky13

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
any idea if version 5 has better integration and might be able to do more with Alexa ?

ANTH040

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't know but that makes a lot more sense I wouldn't really use Alexa to want to view a camera I cant see any point of it. Now if lets say echo showed one of the tripwire or intusion box triggers going off as someone walked to my front door or back door then that would be very handy.

Something like that available?

lucky13

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't know but that makes a lot more sense I wouldn't really use Alexa to want to view a camera I cant see any point of it. Now if lets say echo showed one of the tripwire or intusion box triggers going off as someone walked to my front door or back door then that would be very handy.

Something like that available?
Yes the Echo Show I have shows a picture of the person who rings the Ring Doorbell automatically..what would be really useful is if it did the same from Blue Iris if it detects movement on a camera..it doesn’t sound complicated as you can ask Echo via Monical to do it manually when you get an alert on my phone, so really you just need something that turns a notification into a command on Echo ..maybe someone could IFTTT a skill for that ?

andycots

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you get this sorted, you could use, trigger-alert-web request- webhook then use virtual buttons (paid i think) to open a routine all via IFTTT, i use the BI geofence to turn my thermostat home/away as i find the BI geofencing to be the best around, even better than any IOS app.

Thanks

lucky13

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks can you add a bit more detail, do you mean set a trigger webhook via BI ? where is this option ? where are the virtual buttons option ? as i said can you break it down with more detail ? thanks

andycots

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks can you add a bit more detail, do you mean set a trigger webhook via BI ? where is this option ? where are the virtual buttons option ? as i said can you break it down with more detail ? thanks
I use Voice Monkey, you can create a virtual button there that shows up in Alexa, for eg, setup voice monkey account, add skill to Alexa, then one you read the setup docs which is fairly straightforward, even for me, the you generate a url, copy that into the BI alerts-web request, then when your camera is triggered providing you've set it up correctly, it will fire, then create an Alexa routine to, when (whatever you have called it) button is pressed then use a customised skill to open the camera you have setup via Monocle.

See how that goes, let me know how it goes.

This only shows a live feed, it would be good if could get BI to show like the phone gifs or whatever triggered it, if you know what i mean.

Cheers

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
See how that goes, let me know how it goes.
The Voice Monkey thing works pretty well.

Do you know if there's a way to avoid having Alexa say "OK" when the routine runs? Couldn't figure that one out. Even if I put in a message to be announced, it still follows with the "OK" before doing whatever. I do have the voice responses set to "Brief Mode" which eliminates that for usual commands.

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Set Alexa to brief mode.
As above, it's already on. That was the reason for my question. Doesn't seem to work the same way when sending commands via a link. Still says "OK" even when set to Brief Mode.

andycots

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The Voice Monkey thing works pretty well.

Do you know if there's a way to avoid having Alexa say "OK" when the routine runs? Couldn't figure that one out.
No me too, not the worst thing, glad it worked, do you use the cam feed or BI feed, if I use the BI one it doesn’t last long, starts to buffer then stops showing, also shame cam only show on one device, that’s a Echo thing though, could do parallel routines maybe. It’s getting there, some tweaks by both sides would help a lot.

Andy

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
A quick thought, could maybe turn volume down first in routine.
I'll look at that. Then you'd have to turn it back up again somehow. Not a big deal, but I'd rather not have it. I thought there might be some "&whatever=off" that you could add as part of the link as can be done with notifications but don't see in a quick search.

Yeah, I couldn't get the BI stream to work well either. I use the cam feed. Some of my cam feeds don't work either for whatever reason even when set to 1080 and when the same credentials/string work in VLC. shrug

andycots

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use the sub stream were I can, still cannot get my Ezviz bell to show, even though works in vlc , have to go through BI for that one, the buffer thing could be useful regards only showing for a brief time on trigger, a useful flaw maybe. Think just alter some settings in Monocle to see if will fire up.