AliExpress.com

thestubbornrock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has anyone had any issues using www.aliexpress.com to order their IP cameras? Have you received the correct product? How long did it take to receive the product? What vendor did you use? Did you receive a rebranded knock off? I'm looking to purchase about four Hikvision 3mp camera's and am considering using their website.

Please let me know your thoughts and experiences.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
See also this thread

http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?257-Good-source-to-buy-Hikvision-items-at&highlight=good+source+buy+hikvision

One vendor many members have used is CCTV China. They ship out promptly.

http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/0lSyjdm

Cameras arrive typically in 1-2 weeks with epacket. Less than a week with DHL.

Depends a little bit on shipping cutoff times, holidays, customs clearance, ...

Communication with Julia from CCTV China through the aliexpress messaging system is either delayed by 12hrs or near instant, depending on the time of day, because of the timezone difference.

Cameras received were the correct item, with CH serial number.

I was looking at a different vendor the other day, which is also well rated (though maybe no sales to forum members here, not sure), but their shipping policy read camera ships out within 25 days. That gets to be a bit long, plus aliexpress has a one month hold on payment to the seller in case there are any issues that arise. If the camera ships late, then shipping is slow, ... you'd lose that protection.

thestubbornrock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is a "CH serial number?" Also, do the camera's need to be flashed with a new firmware version to be read in English?

thestubbornrock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The reason I'm asking is because when I look at reviews for the site, I see a lot of US customers complain that they didn't get the item they ordered. Instead they get a box of rocks or a paperclip. I know this site operates similar to amazon.com so I know not all vendors are honest. But have any of you actually had success? Have any of you actually ordered from them and received the item as described?

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is the two character country code in the serial.

My cameras via cctv china have always operated in English out of the box, and come with the firmware available at the time. I haven't had time yet to look into upgrading two that are a couple changes behind newer ones (simply due to time passing between orders and hikv releasing a newer firmware). There is a whole separate topic on that.

Last edited by a moderator:

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think if you order from diamond rated sellers, you will not get the wrong item. I have read many reviews on aliexpress, but never seen one where rocks were delivered instead of electronics.

I'm several orders in with cctv china. Not a single issue. A thin layer of foam, plus paper and then loads of tape wrapped around the camera box. It may not survive a drop from 10ft - if it were professionaly double boxed for and extra fragile item - but it would be evident if tampered with, and it certainly is weather resistent with all that tape.

Have an email exchange or chat with Julia about availability and shipping. Then decide on a first small initial order of one camera. Which is what I did. Then go from there.

thestubbornrock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anyone else have first hand experience with aliexpress.com? What was your experience?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As others have said, buy from a trusted vendor and you will be fine. If you are concerned about the risk and/or want an warranty buy from local sellers.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I have used aliexpress a few times in the past couple years buying cameras. Always got what I ordered though sometimes nearly a month later, and none of the cams I ordered have died yet... some are about 2 years old now.

As for buying hikvision cameras, CCTV CAMERA CHINA is the best seller I've found yet. They ship for free, the cams are fully in English (unless you try to update the firmware without using CBX's region change hack first), and they don't wait a week to ship like all the other sellers I've dealt with.

As long as you follow basic good-sense rules, like carefully reading the product description, and buying only from well-rated sellers, you should be fine.

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I placed two separate order with in past two week , I am waiting for delivery in the next few weeks . can update when I get them

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just checking on some prices, I did notice CCTV CH Camera did get a few negative feedbacks recently due to some issues with some cheapo nvr not operating in English and lacking manual, a couple bullet cameras that were out of focus and someone claiming the cameras were bad and possibly refurbished. Another for a supposed shipping ripoff.

But, folks have to read the details. While one or two small cameras may ship free, larger ones don't always ship free and a combination or bulk order will most likely not, because they can't ship it for a few bucks using epacket due to size and/or weight. So you are looking at probably a $10-15-20 charge per camera on the order, depending on the model and its size & weight.

Just like with ebay and amazon feedback and reviews, you have to read between the lines a little.

Notice how the seller tried to accommodate some people, trying to make it right for instance with the broken glass one. Refunding $50 for a $25 dollar part.

I did not see any evidence that my cameras were anything but brand new. I can't even tell if the factory box has been opened to possibly update firmware or change a setting (something I know has been claimed about another vendor). And the production date has always been very recent. A few weeks at the most.

The reality is that: they don't test the actual device they ship, if you order some foreign product for a cheap price there's a chance it may not work out (I've ordered stuff from dealextreme that was great value and other stuff that was pretty much one time use, or junk, looked good in the picture but quality wasn't there); a factory issue (missing manual, disc, defect) gets passed right on to the customer. ... do you blame the seller?

For a full refund, any merchant typically wants the product back. Unless there's a policy as with Amazon, HSN, or other major retailers that covers free return shipping; 99% of the time it is at the buyers cost. Even with RMAs to manufacturers its is rare to get a prepaid label. Do you leave negative feedback for the seller for that?

Anyway. I'll probably do another order with CCTV CH Camera before too long. -- I am actually waiting for aliexpress to allow a separate billing address to be in their system for purchases to go through. Tired of calling the credit card company fraud line to get an order to go through.

I just always make sure that before I order, I talk to Julia, tell her I'm ready to buy this or that. Do you have it? When would it ship and how? Make sure it operates in English. While communication is fast. Do note that something may be lost in translation if you ask too many things at once or maybe there isn't an exact word for it. Her English is 100x better than my Chinese (which is none ;) but don't expect miracles.

Last order I was a bit bummed that they didn't ship before the weekend, but she told me (not why, but said it would be on Monday), so I didn't think I'd have it the next week, thinking it was going to be some medium speed priority royal mail thing, getting hung up somewhere, surprise: DHL express in three days!

I had a fair bit of trepidation going in. Chose not to do business with some sellers that sell anything from toys over health and beauty products to cameras. Contacted a couple sellers that seemed to specialize in cctv. Some I probably have yet to hear back from.

All things considered I would not and still don't hesitate to recommend CCTV CH Camera.

PS: I know this sounds quite pro this one particular seller. Note that I don't have any stock or vested interested nor get special discounts or referral bonus, or anything. You know what I mean. Just sharing some points about a repeated positive experience, so others may better informed and benefit, possibly, over having a negative experience with a seller that's less focused.

meesham

n3wb
Reaction score
I've ordered quite a bit of stuff off Aliexpress (not just CCTV cameras), so far I've never had the wrong item sent but I only deal with sellers that have quite a few ratings. I've purchased the following Hikvision cameras, all sent to New Zealand via DHL:

1. DS-2CD2132-I (a 4mm) from Wholesale Security China - quick to ship, well packaged
  2. 2x DS-2CD2332-I (a 2.8mm and 4mm) from Good Zhang - very slow to ship (he had supply issues apparently), but it arrived eventually
  3. DS-2CD2032-I (a 6mm) from CCTV Camera China - very quick to ship and well packaged

The first 3 camera (2132 and 2332s) all had the 5.1 firmware running English, the 2032 had the 5.1.6 firmware patched to run in English. I'd definitely buy from Wholesale Security China and CCTV Camera China again, I'd probably give Good Zhang a miss.

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
When I messaged security camera China a few days back they said the dahua I was asking about only had Chinese menu. Points for honesty, I'll give them that.

thestubbornrock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. This really helps me make more informed decisions.