AliExpress ONVIF Camera issue

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Buying no name cheap cameras is always a crap shoot.
It won't work as advertised, so I'd return it while you can.

Stick with International versions of Dahua and Hikvision cameras.

Purchase a varifocal camera, and it will accomplish the same thing as a fixed 16mm camera.
Such as:
or

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

JanJ

n3wb
Reaction score
Like I said up front, I had no choice. HiKvision cameras are my choice, for years, but when a HiKvision camera with fixed 16MM lens died, I found that HiKvision, even after speaking with their West coast sales, in fact no MFG I Contacted, no one, makes a day/night outdoor rated POE Camera with a 16MM fixed lens….and works with Synology Surveillance Station. I’ve found both cams work fine with SS.
AliExpress was only company I found.
So try as I might, I’m stuck with these. Hoping to stumble across someone with them, or, Software to connect and send the right settings!

had anyone sold what I needed, I’d probably be kicking Back with a beer, watching bears walk up & down mountain, and not be where I am right now!

Hoping that tonight I’ll still have a useable image, or settings that work at night.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Like I said up front, I had no choice. HiKvision cameras are my choice, for years, but when a HiKvision camera with fixed 16MM lens died, I found that HiKvision, even after speaking with their West coast sales, in fact no MFG I Contacted, no one, makes a day/night outdoor rated POE Camera with a 16MM fixed lens….and works with Synology Surveillance Station. I’ve found both cams work fine with SS.
AliExpress was only company I found.
So try as I might, I’m stuck with these. Hoping to stumble across someone with them, or, Software to connect and send the right settings!

had anyone sold what I needed, I’d probably be kicking Back with a beer, watching bears walk up & down mountain, and not be where I am right now!

Hoping that tonight I’ll still have a useable image, or settings that work at night.
The two I listed above would cover that requirement hands down.
Hik makes varifocals as well that would cover your requirements.

Varifocal cams are a lot more common these days, and that's part of the reason why you don't see cams with long fixed lens.

JanJ

n3wb
Reaction score
The reason why I don’t want a varifocus lens. Had them at work. Every power cycle or reboot they went wide. Caused issues when closeup image was needed and I had just wide shots!
16MM fixed lens — on bootup is always 16MM. No effort done by me!
However, if MFG’s ever decide to continue offering 16MM fixed lenses, I’ll be in line next time I need one!
Second issue is Synology Surveillance station: does it properly support PTZ within SS?
Now: back to the issue at hand!

Last edited:

JanJ

n3wb
Reaction score
Today I received an email from the fellow who AliExpress contacted when i reported this issue: it was about the 10th email we shared on this issue:

Hello,Mr Jan,
good morning.
i dont know why Aliexpress told you i am the seller of this camera.
but we never make and sell this camera to anybody.
this is no our camera!!!
you should ask for refund, just do it.
you can keep the camera and ask your money back.
Thanks and Best Regards
Jason Lau

email:sales04@enster.com skype:enster04

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The reason why I don’t want a varifocus lens. Had them at work. Every power cycle or reboot they went wide. Caused issues when closeup image was needed and I had just wide shots!
16MM fixed lens — on bootup is always 16MM. No effort done by me!
However, if MFG’s ever decide to continue offering 16MM fixed lenses, I’ll be in line next time I need one!
Second issue is Synology Surveillance station: does it properly support PTZ within SS?
Now: back to the issue at hand!
The cameras I recommended do not have that problem. Never seen anyone post about such a problem in all my time here.
Why would I suggest a camera to you that would have such an issue?

JanJ

n3wb
Reaction score
Have no idea. I spent 15 min on phone with HiKvision, and learned we have some of the Few 12 & 16MM lens cameras they sold. In order to get away with 6MM all they have now, I’d have to run & Bury 2 new cables, one I can do, but one is on a 250’ cable now (with a 16MM lens).. so I’m at the theoretical POE Limit.

at this point it doesn’t matter.. I’m trying to get existing 2 cameras to work 24/7!

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hello,Mr Jan,
good morning.
i dont know why Aliexpress told you i am the seller of this camera.
but we never make and sell this camera to anybody.
this is no our camera!!!
you should ask for refund, just do it.
you can keep the camera and ask your money back.
Thanks and Best Regards
Jason Lau
So what you do now is you take that back to AliExpress and say the seller has offered you a full refund and you can keep the cameras.
Then take that refunded money and buy something else.

JanJ

n3wb
Reaction score
Would love to! But AliExpress says refund has to come from seller!

if nothing else this is education for others.

looks like fixed is not going to work. Extremely dark

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can you get a good picture out of it but only for either day or night and not both?

Edit: also I notice you have the profile set to outdoor. What other options are there and do they make a difference?

JanJ

n3wb
Reaction score
Profile: Automatic, indoor, outdoor. No difference
Image style: No Difference
AE reference acts like video gain in Auto Exposure, no difference in manual exposure.
Back in auto until nightfall once IR switches over will go back to manual to see if anything changes with settings

it seems like a lot of these settings are there, but don’t do anything

JanJ

n3wb
Reaction score
IR evening tests. All in AUTO, as manual did nothing on any setting, with any of the settings. So AUTO is where it needs to be.
Glad I did the 2K Sony 335 sensor first. It IR settings work nicely and pix is darn nice. Attached. IMG_7285.pngRoad is 200’ from camera (Other cam’s IR light behind bushes on left).
With that IR success story behind me, found that same settings on 4K SC8239 sensor more or less worked, with no-where the pix quality (IR contrast range) as 2K Sony. With those settings as good as possible, now we’ll see if any day adjustments can be made better tomorrow.

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
You need to try capturing motion before calling it good. Walk through there and see if you can get a good stopped face image.

But sounds like you may not have much choice if you can't set manual exposure.

JanJ

n3wb
Reaction score
Motion is cars on road, or, bears in front yard. Motion detect done by Synology. Video done by camera. Night is acceptable. If I can temper down bright daytime…..

Last edited:

JanJ

n3wb
Reaction score
The Sony sensor uses more available settings than the SC8239 sensor does....
But other than Sony using Upper Limit under in IR mode, neither appear to use the settings on the right side of the Param screen....

If for no reason that to warn others about AliExpress.... I seem to be at an end... It's a bit better on Sony IMX335 sensor, but no better on SC8239 in bright light...

Under IR, the Sony Sensor is equivalent to a HiKvision sensor.... but not in bright light--still clips somewhat... The SC8239 is a waste of time & money

I still wonder if a Front End Command allows ONFIV Commands to be directly entered to camera.... I'd be willing to do it on SC8239 Sensor... But have no info "How-To" ??

Any info on ONFIV command entry would be appreciated