Alternative to 5442

Gilera

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'd appreciate some advice please. I know the 1/1.8" CMOS in the 5442 Dahuas are favoured on the forum. From what I understand, this is primarily for their night time clarity. I am considering getting a HDW5442TM-ASE. I am after a camera that overlooks the rear of my property. 2.8mm or 3.6mm. Night vision is important but not super-important for me. It is mainly for daytime footage and must include audio. I have a Dahua NVR with 12TB of storage. At the momenty I only have one Dahua camera which is a HDW2431TM-AS-S2 in 2.8mm. I am quite happy with it for the price and if can't do much better then will likely just get a few more of these. If I can get 1 month retention from 4 cameras at 15FPS recording 24/7, I will be happy enough.

My question is would I be better getting a higher megapixel camera? If so can anyone recommend one in same price range as the 5442? I understand that the 5442 is not being produced anymore so what will all the 5442 fans be going to in the future?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your understanding is wrong....the 5442 is still being manufactured and in fact has a newer chipset with better optics than the original...if you found EOL that is for the old 5442 wizmind, but the new 5442 wizmind S is only a few months old.

4MP is the sweet spot. Look at the posts for the 8MP on the 1/1.2" and you will find that the depth of focus is rather narrow, so people are using that as overview cams and the 5442 for mission critical cams.

Gilera

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good to know thanks. I am looking at fixed lens to try to save a bit of money. Is the newer HDW5442 only available as motorised lens ("z" version)? If so what is the general opinion on HFW vs HDW for outdoor use. I will be mounting this particular one on a pole and have supplemental IR lights. Is the style just personal preference?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
The 5442 2.8 I have has good audio, and a decent color night image with enough light. And looks great during the day. It's very generic to choose a 2.8. I tired it, and put it the front of the Condo. Then I tried a 2431 in 3.6....that was also with Audio. it does its its job at the front entrance of the condo.
Below are the cams. most have the model # in the image. the B&w squad car pic is a 5442 non IR LED 6.0mm

Last edited:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
You'll easily get 1 month retention on a 12b hd.

I've got 2x 4K cameras, both running BVR (continuous recording) @ 4k 4,000kbs + alerts @ a massive 16,840kbs, - @ 20+ alerts per day, and get around a month on a 4TB drive.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'd appreciate some advice please. I know the 1/1.8" CMOS in the 5442 Dahuas are favoured on the forum. From what I understand, this is primarily for their night time clarity. I am considering getting a HDW5442TM-ASE. I am after a camera that overlooks the rear of my property. 2.8mm or 3.6mm. Night vision is important but not super-important for me. It is mainly for daytime footage and must include audio. I have a Dahua NVR with 12TB of storage. At the momenty I only have one Dahua camera which is a HDW2431TM-AS-S2 in 2.8mm. I am quite happy with it for the price and if can't do much better then will likely just get a few more of these. If I can get 1 month retention from 4 cameras at 15FPS recording 24/7, I will be happy enough.

My question is would I be better getting a higher megapixel camera? If so can anyone recommend one in same price range as the 5442? I understand that the 5442 is not being produced anymore so what will all the 5442 fans be going to in the future?
look at the 4k cameras with a 1/1.2" sensor.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Good to know. Is your stream H265 or H264?
h254H.

I tried h265 and it was better quality for a while, but then artefacts started to appear - most likely I hit challenging lighting conditions I'd not seen before and movement broke the picture up making identification difficult so I reverted to h264h so as to not miss the moment.

The streams are smaller than you may think, which affects the space calculation. In camera 16,680kbs translates to 2,000kbs in BI and 4,000kbs translates to 500kbs. I conclude from this the in camera compression ratio is approximately 8:1.

Personally, I'd like options to alter this, but the good news is as is, the stream is much much smaller than you'd expect by a factor of 8 when it come to working capacities out.

Gilera

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I ended up ordering a hdw5442tm-ase in 2.8mm. I have to see what all the fuss is about. It will be mounted right next to the hdw2431 for now so will be interesting to compare. I did look at the 4k cameras but I wanted an eyeball camera and they don't seem to make those yet. Plus there is quite a step up price wise.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I ended up ordering a hdw5442tm-ase in 2.8mm. I have to see what all the fuss is about. It will be mounted right next to the hdw2431 for now so will be interesting to compare. I did look at the 4k cameras but I wanted an eyeball camera and they don't seem to make those yet. Plus there is quite a step up price wise.
There is a 4k 1/1.2 turret cam about 220 on amazon from andys store. Worlds First Review - Dahua DH-IPC-HDW5849H-ASE-LED / IPC-Color4K-T - 2.8mm Turret