Am confused on Password Reset Tool....First Time User

Abacojack

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Located on an island in the Bahamas, and thought I was headed in right - direction, but really screwed up.

Arrived here 2 weeks ago and was excited to test the better quality of a Hikvision DS-2CD2332-I camera, so downloaded SADP Tools (3.0.0.2) and got the camera setup and it looked great and was able to get to at an IP address here on my computer of 192.168.1.64 (using Windows 7 and IE) ... BUT...did not realize how sensitive UserName/Passwords were and for the first time in years, failed to note them.

So today I go to install camera and when I go to IE and type in the above IP address, I get the Hikvision opening screen asking for UserName and Password, and thought I had not changed these, so put in admin/12345 and no luck....have tried numerous others, and account gets locked for 30 minutes.

So then I got to SADP tools and could not seem to do anything, so I found this (great) site with the Password resetter, but in SADP 3.0.0.2, could never find where to put the security code...and am still a little confused as to the Model/serial number and whether to drop the entire DS-2CD2332-I in the serial number routine??

Then saw where someone else had same issue and so I found an older version of SADP (2.2.3.2) which actually came with camera, and the only way to fill in any boxes on the right is to click on the camera, but then there is a box that says password, and below, it says Reset Password and then boxes for New Password and Confirm Password.....am very confused as to where the security code should be placed, nd have tried everything and keep getting messages "Failed to modify the settings.ID:001....

Can anyone please help me with these questions...
My camera s/n comes up as DS-2CD2332-I and then a whole series of numbers and letters....do I drop of the "DS-2CD2332-I" and just put in what comes after that 'I' in the password resetter routine?

And once I have the security code...where do I put in in SADP 3.0.0.2 or SADP 2.2.3.2?

And finally is this all connected to the Hikvision screen that comes up asking me for UserName & Password when I go to the IP address in IE cause I still don't remember those either.....or if I even changed them.

Many many thanks for any help...would truly appreciate it.

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've personally only tried to use the reset tool on this site twice, and both cases it failed after many attempts. If you read the instructions on it carefully, somewhere I believe it is noted that the firmware version plays a strong hand in your outcome of the tool. Newer firmwares have newer reset algorithms that the tool can't accommodate for. Unless the tool is updated to reflect such changes on Hikvision's part, it's unlikely to be able to reliably reset going forward. Is that to say for 100% certainty that it will NOT work? No, not even close. Many people have had success, I have not personally. But you definitely should strip the entire model number out of the serial, and only use what follows. As far as where to enter the reset code, there is a "forgot password" or "reset password link" in the sidebar somewhere once you have the camera in question selected. You click on that and that is where you would enter the code and the new password you would like to set for the camera.

On that note, I have personally never tried to reset a dome camera and I'm not sure if those have reset buttons like bullets do. If it does and you have physical access to the camera, you can hold that button for 10-15sec or so (a reasonable length of time) and it will reset everything back to the default. It is also important to note admin/12345 is the default password only on pre-5.3.x cameras). Cameras past that revision require "activation" in which they have no default password. If you were to pull up a camera that has not been activated, SADP will show a first-run sort of dialog in the right sidebar asking you to enter an admin password. (Old versions of SADP don't support this). NVRs with newer firmware automate this process.

As an absolute last resort, depending on whether or not this is a US-regioned camera or Chinese (if there is a "CH" in your serial number, it's Chinese, otherwise not), I've read a few posts on here that Hikvision USA support is lenient when it comes to password resets for Chinese gray market cams but absolutely will not help you with firmware problems. If yours is genuine US, you always have that to fall back on.

Several ways to go about it, tried to outline your options the best I could. If I missed something someone else will probably follow up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Abacojack

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've personally only tried to use the reset tool on this site twice, and both cases it failed after many attempts. If you read the instructions on it carefully, somewhere I believe it is noted that the firmware version plays a strong hand in your outcome of the tool. Newer firmwares have newer reset algorithms that the tool can't accommodate for. Unless the tool is updated to reflect such changes on Hikvision's part, it's unlikely to be able to reliably reset going forward. Is that to say for 100% certainty that it will NOT work? No, not even close. Many people have had success, I have not personally. But you definitely should strip the entire model number out of the serial, and only use what follows. As far as where to enter the reset code, there is a "forgot password" or "reset password link" in the sidebar somewhere once you have the camera in question selected. You click on that and that is where you would enter the code and the new password you would like to set for the camera.

On that note, I have personally never tried to reset a dome camera and I'm not sure if those have reset buttons like bullets do. If it does and you have physical access to the camera, you can hold that button for 10-15sec or so (a reasonable length of time) and it will reset everything back to the default. It is also important to note admin/12345 is the default password only on pre-5.3.x cameras). Cameras past that revision require "activation" in which they have no default password. If you were to pull up a camera that has not been activated, SADP will show a first-run sort of dialog in the right sidebar asking you to enter an admin password. (Old versions of SADP don't support this). NVRs with newer firmware automate this process.

As an absolute last resort, depending on whether or not this is a US-regioned camera or Chinese (if there is a "CH" in your serial number, it's Chinese, otherwise not), I've read a few posts on here that Hikvision USA support is lenient when it comes to password resets for Chinese gray market cams but absolutely will not help you with firmware problems. If yours is genuine US, you always have that to fall back on.

Several ways to go about it, tried to outline your options the best I could. If I missed something someone else will probably follow up.

Again, a big THANK YOU for all the helpful advice and suggestions I've received here.

Yes, it is a dome camera, with no visible reset button and running SW 5.3.0_151016.

I actually did receive back an Encrypt file from Hikvision, but it did not work and I wonder if that's b/c I lost power in between the time I set them my Device Key xml file, and received back their Encryp xml file.

Is it true, if the camera loses power in between the Exp[ort/Import of these xml files, this will be a problem?

But I have noticed that in the install of SADP, I sometimes get the message..."missing nfs source file, but SADP opens and sees my camera. Could this be an issue?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Again, a big THANK YOU for all the helpful advice and suggestions I've received here.

Yes, it is a dome camera, with no visible reset button and running SW 5.3.0_151016.
I think this is the first firmware version that uses the new reset process. Unfortunately the new process is much more secure and I will not be able to create a tool to help with it. The reset tool here will not help with it.

I actually did receive back an Encrypt file from Hikvision, but it did not work and I wonder if that's b/c I lost power in between the time I set them my Device Key xml file, and received back their Encryp xml file.

Is it true, if the camera loses power in between the Exp[ort/Import of these xml files, this will be a problem?
I have heard that it is a problem, and that it must not lose power. Seems like a foolish design decision on Hikvision's part.

But I have noticed that in the install of SADP, I sometimes get the message..."missing nfs source file, but SADP opens and sees my camera. Could this be an issue?
No idea about this one.

Abacojack

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK....guess I'm at a stand still.
Since the Hikvision tech support recovery code did not work, I replied to them that I had lost power and asked for a new code, to which they responded they are on Holiday till 2/15/16.
Interestingly, I also contacted distributor (who sounds as though they are in China, but my camera s/n does not have CH in it, only 'CCWR'), and they replied they were on Holiday also, and could not give me a date to when they will respond.
Meanwhile, being on an island, with very spotty electric and internet, I doubt the Device Keys I sent them will be good in the days/ or weeks when they respond if the camera had to remain powered on between Device key and Encrypt file is applied.
Thank you again for all the help and support and I will definitely report back.....

Abacojack

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If no one will help you!Your best bet is to flash. I never did myself so I can't help you with that.

So let me face up to what will happen in my case if I mess with firmware....

It's a DS-2CD2332-I dome camera
From the serial number including "CCWR", I think it means it's a US camera?
And it has software version, 5.3.0_151016.

Where I get confused and concerned as I have seen postings of folks who upgraded firmware and ended up in bad shape, and perhaps a bricked camera.

I just don't know if my camera is suitable for a firmware upgrade and if so, which one?

On the Hikvision site, there are numerous firmwares, but do I assume the closest one avilable is the one
named.....Baseline Firmware_IPC_En_Version 5.3.0_151503 (2xx2)..? Or how do I pick one?

Since my last posting about being put on hold, it appears there is a major Chinese Hoilday that started today (2/6 in China) that goes until 2/15/16....just my luck....and if I wish to wait until then to try the recovery code routine again, or try the firmware.

Has anyone with a camera like mine been succesful,in resetting firmware without issues? Thanks.

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think this is the first firmware version that uses the new reset process. Unfortunately the new process is much more secure and I will not be able to create a tool to help with it. The reset tool here will not help with it.
5.3.0 is when Activation was introduced with no default password, so yes this is right when that switch was made.

I have heard that it is a problem, and that it must not lose power. Seems like a foolish design decision on Hikvision's part.
I've never tested this, but to my understanding the time/date stamp can be compared to a captcha code on a webpage. if you refresh the page, the code is changed. You power cycled the camera, and the time stamp goes all the way down to the second, which likely affects how the camera interprets the code you enter, even though in theory the exact date is all that matters. Almost like those RSA key changer fobs people can carry on their car keys to where when they sign into some online service, it asks them for the FOB code. I know AOL offered this years ago, and it was very impressive how it worked.

No idea about this one.
Yeah I can't explain that either. I do know that SADP is interesting in the fact that on I have gone to change params for a device, I will receive some weird error, only to find the param changes were correctly applied and stuck. No idea why, but my changes were applied so I never looked into this further.

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So let me face up to what will happen in my case if I mess with firmware....

It's a DS-2CD2332-I dome camera
From the serial number including "CCWR", I think it means it's a US camera?
And it has software version, 5.3.0_151016.

Where I get confused and concerned as I have seen postings of folks who upgraded firmware and ended up in bad shape, and perhaps a bricked camera.

I just don't know if my camera is suitable for a firmware upgrade and if so, which one?

On the Hikvision site, there are numerous firmwares, but do I assume the closest one avilable is the one
named.....Baseline Firmware_IPC_En_Version 5.3.0_151503 (2xx2)..? Or how do I pick one?

Since my last posting about being put on hold, it appears there is a major Chinese Hoilday that started today (2/6 in China) that goes until 2/15/16....just my luck....and if I wish to wait until then to try the recovery code routine again, or try the firmware.

Has anyone with a camera like mine been succesful,in resetting firmware without issues? Thanks.
CCWR indicates that it is a US camera (WR = Western Region, CH = China). Chinese cameras are CCCH.

People who have bricked cameras are playing chicken with the region lock. Yours is not region locked (or to be more specific, is region locked for your region, so it's moot).

5.3.0 is the latest officially supported firmware in the US, so yes that is correct.

I didn't get to reply quick enough but was going to say that the Chinese new year is starting and the entire country effectively shuts down for just shy of 2 weeks. Really unfortunate timing on your part, but hey, life happens.

If you use the Hikvision TFTP recovery tool, you will no doubt be able to restore it back to factory. There are many procedures outlined here on the forum (no link on hand at the moment), search around. You really only need the TFTP tool, since you are free to use officially released firmware.

1. PC > Network > Camera. (best not to directly connect).
2. Set PC IP to 192.0.0.128, turn off firewall.
3. When you extract the "Auto Update" folder when you download the tool, be sure to also extract the firmware (digicap.dav) from the IPC_En_Version..... file you download from Hikvision and place it directly inside the auto update folder that was just created.
4. for best results, turn off all NICs (network cards) that you aren't using. In the case of a laptop for instance, turn off WiFi if you're connected to ethernet to recover. Saves some possible headaches.
5. Open tftpserv.exe.
6. Power cycle the camera, and the TFTP tool should start to report some responses from the camera (test tftpserver is the first one). It will take a few minutes to fully process the firmware, but should say upgrade successful when done.

At this point, close the TFTP tool, else it will recover the camera forever. Switch everything network wise back to the way things were, and in SADP (must use newer version), it should find the camera, and upon selection, should ask you to enter an admin password for the first time. (this is the Activation feature I described above, the fact that there is no default password) From here you should be able to change it's IP and other parameters and regain access to the camera.

Abacojack

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
CCWR indicates that it is a US camera (WR = Western Region, CH = China). Chinese cameras are CCCH.

People who have bricked cameras are playing chicken with the region lock. Yours is not region locked (or to be more specific, is region locked for your region, so it's moot).

5.3.0 is the latest officially supported firmware in the US, so yes that is correct.

I didn't get to reply quick enough but was going to say that the Chinese new year is starting and the entire country effectively shuts down for just shy of 2 weeks. Really unfortunate timing on your part, but hey, life happens.

If you use the Hikvision TFTP recovery tool, you will no doubt be able to restore it back to factory. There are many procedures outlined here on the forum (no link on hand at the moment), search around. You really only need the TFTP tool, since you are free to use officially released firmware.

1. PC > Network > Camera. (best not to directly connect).
2. Set PC IP to 192.0.0.128, turn off firewall.
3. When you extract the "Auto Update" folder when you download the tool, be sure to also extract the firmware (digicap.dav) from the IPC_En_Version..... file you download from Hikvision and place it directly inside the auto update folder that was just created.
4. for best results, turn off all NICs (network cards) that you aren't using. In the case of a laptop for instance, turn off WiFi if you're connected to ethernet to recover. Saves some possible headaches.
5. Open tftpserv.exe.
6. Power cycle the camera, and the TFTP tool should start to report some responses from the camera (test tftpserver is the first one). It will take a few minutes to fully process the firmware, but should say upgrade successful when done.

At this point, close the TFTP tool, else it will recover the camera forever. Switch everything network wise back to the way things were, and in SADP (must use newer version), it should find the camera, and upon selection, should ask you to enter an admin password for the first time. (this is the Activation feature I described above, the fact that there is no default password) From here you should be able to change it's IP and other parameters and regain access to the camera.
Thank you!
Will read through again and again until I see if I can muster up all my courage....at least having a WR camera seems to be in my favor.
Still want to understand and get comfortable with #2 and #4...think I originally mentioned I'm a newbie at some of this....and there aren't many IT gurus or friends under the palm trees on this island!
But over the years have been able to work thru some scenarios I would have never thought possible....best to date was setting up a couple antennas so I could beam my internet over to another island a few miles away. But that, like this, took me some time to get my nerve up for...!
Thanks again.

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No problem. If you need help with it just post back, I or someone else would be more than willing to walk you through it. I can give much more thorough and detailed instructions if necessary, I just wanted to give you a general idea of the process and at the same time not overwhelm you up front. Never bite off more than you can chew- Bad things happen. Spoken from experience.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok good I'm glad it's not just me that couldn't find it. For awhile I couldn't even get access to the US FTP server. I head to the Europe one now. Did they axe access to that as well?

That is why I mentioned that all he needed was the tool and not any firmware packaged with it. I had the downgrader in my head when writing that, and thought, hey he could just use the tool from that. Incomplete thought unfortunately.

Abacojack

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Kudos to @CoreyX64 for some good and helpful advice.
As Hikvision have removed their original Hikvision-specific tftp updater tool from public view on their websites, if you don't already have it, you can find a copy of it, and usage instructions, in the link in the first post on this thread: https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/4036-Custom-Firmware-Downgrader-5-3-0-Chinese-to-5-2-5-English
And where/how do I give Corey, bp2008 and all the others a ton of STARS for all the help.
This forum is probably the finest, most responsive group I have ever been blessed to find....thank ALL of you!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The Thanks button works well.
For awhile I couldn't even get access to the US FTP server.
It's bizarre that they IP-region blocked access to the US FTP site. Region blocking gone mad. This is the internet, stupid. The original design concept was that you could still get from A to B even when it got broken. That still holds.
These silly tricks actually motivate smart or inquisitive people to look into them and toss them aside.

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
And where/how do I give Corey, bp2008 and all the others a ton of STARS for all the help.
This forum is probably the finest, most responsive group I have ever been blessed to find....thank ALL of you!
A) feedback from you when you succeed is always a refreshing feeling from my perspective in terms of reward.
B) The little "thumbs up" thanks button next to/under posts is also a plus.

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The Thanks button works well.

It's bizarre that they IP-region blocked access to the US FTP site. Region blocking gone mad. This is the internet, stupid. The original design concept was that you could still get from A to B even when it got broken. That still holds.
These silly tricks actually motivate smart or inquisitive people to look into them and toss them aside.
I stick with Europe now. Firmware is pushed faster, and I can get to it over HTTP, not FTP. I keep my NVRs bleeding edge, cameras I never touch.

I agree. If they didn't region lock, I could see Hikvision taking the top spot over many US vendors. I hate buying in the US anyways because anymore all you're paying for is markup. And I completely understand that they need to make a healthy income to stay in business but at the same time I need to not deplete mine in a quick manner. Personally, I always buy genuine US NVRs, because that's generally the only thing I interface with. I practically am never dialed directly into the camera, unless for very specific fine tuning at time of install. When it comes to cameras, I buy all chinese (pre-patched to US region so they work with US NVRS 100% of the time), they supply me with firmware when I request it, and as of recently, cameras appear to be shipping in color boxes now. They are still CH region, but they are color box and overall look much nicer. Something I wasn't fond of but can live with is the new 4MP IP domes have a die cast base and a plastic lens cover, not entirely die cast. The lens ring also has Hikvision along with chinese characters on it (smaller font as well). Again, I don't like it, but I got over it quickly when I saw the image quality and price tag. (the white ring around the lens is plastic and no longer metal). The last ones I ordered I paid maybe just over $70 per 4MP dome. At work we have an account with ADI, an authorized HV reseller. They wanted $160 for the same exact thing.

The reason I still stick with screwing around with chinese product is A) price and B) I hate product rebranding. it makes me cringe. It's funny because I can spot Hikvision anything under even the thickest coat of rebrand. Even though obviously support is moot with what I'm buying, I always like to purchase from the source, not 3 layers of companies out.

Abacojack

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am still a little confused as to how to give the thumbs up, but please know I appreciate all the help here.
As to my case, now that the Holiday is over, I hope to get my camera password reset so I can move forward....never had the nerve to go with the Recovery Tool.
Will report back as to progress, and thank you again.

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am still a little confused as to how to give the thumbs up, but please know I appreciate all the help here.
As to my case, now that the Holiday is over, I hope to get my camera password reset so I can move forward....never had the nerve to go with the Recovery Tool.
Will report back as to progress, and thank you again.
In the left bottom corner of a person's post, there is a thumb up icon with the word "Thanks" next to it. click it and done. nothing too complicated.

Abacojack

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In the left bottom corner of a person's post, there is a thumb up icon with the word "Thanks" next to it. click it and done. nothing too complicated.
I'm bound and determined to " get this".......But for the life of me, I do not see such an icon with "Thanks" next to it....What am I missing here, other than feeling totally stupid at this point?