Am I just really under powered?

Reaction score
I have 4 total Dahua cameras—one 5231 and three 2231. Currently I am within the trial period of BlueIris and would like some input on whether or not my hardware is under powered or if this is just the nature of running BlueIris as your own DIY NVR. My PC has the following.

Motherboard Asus P8H77-I (integrated graphics)
Intel Core i3-3220T 2.8GHz with 8GB of RAM

After adding two cameras to BlueIris, I noticed incredibly high CPU usage. To try reducing it, I read through the “Optimizing BlueIris's CPU Usage” page, made some changes, and did a few tests while noting CPU and GPU usage.

First, hardware acceleration off. CPU/GPU usage was at 75%/15% with the main window open and 50%/0% with the window minimized. After turning hardware acceleration on, usage dropped to 65%/20% (window open) and 40%/5% (window minimized). I expected a larger drop in CPU usage but perhaps this is all you get. I'm not even entirely sure hardware acceleration is truly being used but I guess the fact that the usage changed at all means it is.

Second, I ran BlueIris as a service. CPU/GPU usage dropped to 40%/5%, the same as when not running as a service but with the window minimized. Accessing BlueIris via the web browser saw usage increase to 55%/5%, better values than when viewing BlueIris locally.

Third, I added a third camera. When running as a service, CPU/GPU usage was at 55%/7% with the BlueIris application closed and 90%/20% with it open. Limiting the live preview frame rate to 1fps dropped the window-open usage to 60%/8%.

Finally, I dropped the cameras from 30fps down to 10fps. Three cameras had CPU/GPU usage at 40%/16% with the window open and 20%/3% with the window closed. Adding a fourth camera saw the usage increase to 50%/21% with the window open and 25%/3% with the window closed.

None of this is while video is recording (waiting on a second drive) so I'm not sure what the usages will increase to when that starts. Since this sometimes used for other tasks, I was trying everything I could to keep the CPU usage away from the high end. In the end, I feel like I'm crippling these cameras by dropping them to such a low frame rate.

So, is my PC just that under powered or is this just the nature of running multiple cameras? I have already gone through the rest of the Optimizing BlueIris's CPU Usage. I realize I don't need 60fps security cameras but I would at least like to take partial advantage of what these cameras have to offer. I feel like I'm greatly reducing the output of the cameras just to get them working.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
what is your MP/s. That is critical to determine the load.

See this to compare to other systems. Blue Iris Update Helper

The demo version is restrictive, missing some features and may not show true performance under load.

Are you running any other software on the PC ? Did you do a clean windows install.

Does that I3 gpu acceleration quick sync

Reaction score
Kind of a bummer that the demo version doesn't give you an accurate representation of the software performance.

Since these are 2MP cameras, if I went to 30 fps it should be 240 MP/s. Thanks for sharing that table. Good to see some CPU options and how they compare.

No other software was running as I was doing these tests and it was not (and will not be) a clean Windows install. My understanding is that this setup does have quick sync and that it is enabled.

I found that the i7-3770 is compatible with my current motherboard so I'm just going to upgrade. That plus doubling RAM will at least bring the computer a little more up to date. If the BlueIris purchased version works better than the demo, then with the upgraded hardware I should really see some improvements.

Reaction score
That plus doubling RAM will at least
Your i3 would probably handle the 3 cameras if it wasn't a i3-3220T which is the lower power and therefore crippled performance version and you were running licensed copy of Blue Iris with direct-to-disk.

My personal experience with the licensed version I don't think you would need to go to 16GB RAM right away. I have 16 in my i7-2600k system and use less then 4 GB on a clean Blue Iris install with 5 cameras.

Reaction score
Yeah, I built this rig as a media server over 6 years ago and at the time didn't need any processing power. Now that I have a few programs I want to run (BlueIris only being one of them) I figured the RAM upgrade wouldn't hurt.

The main upgrade is the CPU which it sounds like should definitely help. The RAM is more or less a "while I have the case open" upgrade.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
RAM is like money, you can never have too much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Quick follow-up, holy CPU reduction Batman. Purchasing the license to BlueIris cut CPU usage in half. To anyone else wondering, CPU usage went from 75% to 35% simply by purchasing a license. That was four cameras at 30fps with BlueIris running as a service. With the cameras running at 10fps, CPU before and after adding a license went from 25% to 10%.

So @fenderman you weren't kidding when you said "significant." I figured a drop off a few percentage, but more than half? That's insane.