Am I wiring my connectors properly?

car_wash_guy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This is my first install. Bought a Platinum Tools EZ-RJ PRO-HD and using thier EZ-RJ45 connectors.

I'm following the B sequence - WO-O-WG-B-WB-G-WBR-BR

The thing that I'm not sure about is from which side of the connector should the color sequence run.

Looking at the connector with the cable inlet facing towards me, and the flat part with the exposed gold pins facing up, WO is on the left and BR is on the right.

Is this correct?

Thank you

car_wash_guy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you sir - I almost lost it when I thought I was doing it incorrectly.

Nolesfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes you are in the right order. Hold the RJ45 with the nipple down, open end facing you starting with WO to the left.

Good luck!

Ianc2

Banned
Reaction score
There are 2 standards .
t568a , and t568b .

id recommend you use b , and stick to it .
but if you have a lot of cables in your house it can sometimes be handy to swap 1 to a , as A quick and easy identifier of a "spare future" cable etc.

if if your doing a lot of crimping , it's worth investing in an ideal link master .
i didn't , but borrowed a 62-200 from work :cool:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
but if you have a lot of cables in your house it can sometimes be handy to swap 1 to a , as A quick and easy identifier of a "spare future" cable etc.
What is a "spare future" cable????????????

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
only an idiot would wire a whole house up one way, but leave the dark cabling wired up a completely different way..

thats going to work out really well for you.. /sarcasm

Ianc2

Banned
Reaction score
As an identifier .

i have 4 different cat-cable systems in my house .
web , AV , music , security .
all wired differently , none marked .

the 568 specs are only used to make it idiot-proof.
and I'm the idiot :)

and spare cables or future cables is basically an industry used terminology for the obvious : cables installed either as a spare for an existing run , or for future use .
any unused cable that isn't designated as such is classed as "abandoned in place" , and must be removed .

only an idiot would know that ....

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As an identifier .

i have 4 different cat-cable systems in my house .
web , AV , music , security .
all wired differently , none marked .

the 568 specs are only used to make it idiot-proof.
and I'm the idiot :)

and spare cables or future cables is basically an industry used terminology for the obvious : cables installed either as a spare for an existing run , or for future use .
any unused cable that isn't designated as such is classed as "abandoned in place" , and must be removed .

only an idiot would know that ....
I didnt want to believe you purposely used 568a on a cable as an identifier. As others have said that is nuts. Simply mark the cable with masking tape and a sharpie...now you can even identify where it goes. But to actually crimp an end to a cable to as an "identifier"? That makes no sense.
An unused cable does NOT have to be removed...its not going to hurt anything - designated as such or not.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What code are you reading that in ?
Which part? please dont give me NEC code that says I need to label something to make it legit. How is your terminated unused cable any better. Its called the CODE OF COMMON SENSE. Labeling or terminating a cable doesnt magically change its properties. Terminating a cable in a manner not conforming to the others in the house is just plain stupid.

Ianc2

Banned
Reaction score
All cables must be terminated .

i guess you know best though , so I'll stick to earning my living doing this shit and mainly putting right other people's fuck-ups .....

as an aside , all sharpie marked masking tape must be removed too !!!

Did You realize the op is installing this system in a commercial property ?

in my house , it doesn't matter if I use the "idiot chart" or use any colour on any pin .
as long as pin 1 matches on both ends etc it's all good as I don't have to use wiring schematics and engineered drawings like I do at work .

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
All cables must be terminated .

i guess you know best though , so I'll stick to earning my living doing this shit and mainly putting right other people's fuck-ups .....
oh god. That is just plain stupid. Pray tell what will happen to an un-terminated ethernet cable, heaven forbid. Someone will have to fix your fuck ups when they have to re-terminate your backwards cables. Common sense requires an IQ above stupid. Not everyone has it.

Ianc2

Banned
Reaction score
i suggest you talk to your local building inspectors office about any questions you might have .

my iq is just fine thanks :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
i suggest you talk to your local building inspectors office about any questions you might have .

my iq is just fine thanks :)
I suggest you use common sense. Many of the building code regs have nothing to do with safety but rather are a source of revenue for the local municipalities. You yourself cannot explain the absurdity of your statement and even the more absurd suggestion to wire the cable to a non conforming standard. I shudder to think about the other aspects of your work.

Ianc2

Banned
Reaction score
Unfortunately , "the fenderman common sense internet code to electrical installations" just won't cut it where I work .

568a is a standard too you know ....

bang&olufsen masterlink has its own using more than 4-pair , so using cat cable you kind of have to use whatever is best for you .

what do you do for work ?

( if you're interested , the megawatt reading is the best one ) :)