Amcrest SmartHome Video Doorbell Camera AD110

Reaction score
From the reviews I've read, it looks like there is no option to turn off the circular green/blue LED through the app.
Is there a way to disable it through the API? How about taking it apart to remove the LED lights?

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It's interesting that the AD110 is recognized on network discovery as supporting ONVIF (version 8.12). If you try to connect to it, it will fail due to credentials not being authorized. The AD110 admin credentials don't work, and if you try to create a user account via ONVIF Device manager, it fails with an unknown error. However, there is an API setting that can turn off the initial ONVIF authentication requirement...

<ip_addr>/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&UserGlobal.OnvifLoginCheck=false

You can now connect to the AD110 with ONVIF, well - sort of. You can view all its attributes, subscribe to events, even get snapshots. Alas, Live stream does not work.

I tried VLC, ONVIF Device Manager, and Home Assistant. The latter 2 found the AD110 on the LAN and happily set it up. HASS even configured motion sensors for it.

I did find in the HASS logs that when attempting the live stream it crapped out with an unauthorized error. So while this OnvifLoginCheck turned off allowed the initial connection, it apparently did not satisfy the RTSP streaming capability...

ERROR (stream_worker) [libav.rtsp] method OPTIONS failed: 401 Unauthorized

The likely reason for this is that there is an additional setting that specifies RTSP Digest credentials are required.

StreamAuthority.OnvifLoginCheck=Digest
StreamAuthority.RtspLoginCheck=Digest

These are undocumented settings, and I am not planning on testing if they can be disabled. I don't need ONVIF that badly, it was just interesting poking around to see what might be possible.

Last edited:

K46tank

n3wb
Reaction score
It appears that the firmware update that was just released MAY have solved the reboot issues at night when the IRs are on, fingers crossed.

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What changed? The SH app's firmware update menu says right on screen what changed (well not everything...)
  1. Fix issue related to low voltage causing some features to not work correctly.
  2. Improved Motion Recording playback. Recordings no longer capped at 12-15 secs.
  3. Push Notifications for Motion Detection will now wait until there is 30 seconds between events before sending another notification.
What wasn't mentioned in these notes was the fact the Motion Detection Zone grid for selecting specific blocks in the SH app was removed. In its place is a simplistic 3 zone semi-circle which is what the app had on it's very first release. Given this is perceived as a step backwards in functionality it is uncertain if this change was intentional and just forgot to mention or unintentional and a bad goof with the release.

What is really odd here is that the app itself didn't get updated, just the firmware. I'm holding off with the update until this is cleared up.

K46tank

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm hoping that reverting back to the older semi-circle detection zones means that the PIR detection is now functional. The grid overlay is normally used for video pixel based motion detection thus the need to actually see the camera image when selecting boxes in the grid. PIR based detection would hopefully reduce the amount of alerts caused by shadows, wind and, now that the IRs can be on at night without causing reboots, bugs flying around getting an IR tan LOL.

I can say that after the update I did not have any reboots last night and no false motion alerts today. Fingers crossed that it continues to function properly.

K46tank

n3wb
Reaction score
After a little more checking, the reason I didn't have any false motion alerts is because it is not picking up any motion even though I have triple checked that motion detection is turned on and that the motion zones are on and set at 100%. Good grief!!!!

K46tank

n3wb
Reaction score
Update-
After deleting the AD110 from the Smart Home app, another hard reset and adding the AD110 back to the app, motion detection is again working. It appears to be only PIR detection and not video detection which "should" reduce false and nuisance alerts.
Maybe this update will solve most issues for most people. I will do a little more testing tonight after dark.

rzr219

n3wb
Reaction score
So I installed the unit got it to work with my Synology no issues. However when I moved it to its location no wireless. I have a mesh network I have set up, you can only connect it to one of the deives, issue is you cant tell which one until you connect then you need to look at the wireless unit to see what clients its supporting. Then I moved it another 10 feet one I finally got it to connect to this unit, then the signal just drops. I tried everything and only keeping it within 10 feet line of sight does it work. So kinda bummed I reconnected back my older Yousee camera and worked instantly. So still gonna keep looking, looks like I will have to spend a few hundred to get a good quality camera and features like static IP and button thats rings and speaker you can hear without cloud service which I dont want.

K46tank

n3wb
Reaction score
So I installed the unit got it to work with my Synology no issues. However when I moved it to its location no wireless. I have a mesh network I have set up, you can only connect it to one of the deives, issue is you cant tell which one until you connect then you need to look at the wireless unit to see what clients its supporting. Then I moved it another 10 feet one I finally got it to connect to this unit, then the signal just drops. I tried everything and only keeping it within 10 feet line of sight does it work. So kinda bummed I reconnected back my older Yousee camera and worked instantly. So still gonna keep looking, looks like I will have to spend a few hundred to get a good quality camera and features like static IP and button thats rings and speaker you can hear without cloud service which I dont want.
Sorry for your issues RZR but before you give up, try a few more things. You will get button rings and two-way communication without cloud service when/if the unit is working properly. Have you tried locking an IP address to to the doorbell's MAC address on the Synology side? It is basically the same thing as setting a static IP from the doorbell, only you are accomplishing it from the router side. I'm not familiar with how your mesh network works but I would think that you should still be able to accomplish the same thing either in the Synology settings or in the individual mesh device. In the doorbell wi-fi settings you can choose which wireless source you want to connect to (keep in mind it only works on 2.4). Give that a go and see what happens.

r1142

n3wb
Reaction score
It's interesting that the AD110 is recognized on network discovery as supporting ONVIF (version 8.12). If you try to connect to it, it will fail due to credentials not being authorized. The AD110 admin credentials don't work, and if you try to create a user account via ONVIF Device manager, it fails with an unknown error. However, there is an API setting that can turn off the initial ONVIF authentication requirement...

<ip_addr>/cgi cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&UserGlobal.OnvifLoginCheck=false

You can now connect to the AD110 with ONVIF, well - sort of. You can view all its attributes, subscribe to events, even get snapshots. Alas, Live stream does not work.

I tried VLC, ONVIF Device Manager, and Home Assistant. The latter 2 found the AD110 on the LAN and happily set it up. HASS even configured motion sensors for it.

I did find in the HASS logs that when attempting the live stream it crapped out with an unauthorized error. So while this OnvifLoginCheck turned off allowed the initial connection, it apparently did not satisfy the RTSP streaming capability...

ERROR (stream_worker) [libav.rtsp] method OPTIONS failed: 401 Unauthorized

The likely reason for this is that there is an additional setting that specifies RTSP Digest credentials are required.

StreamAuthority.OnvifLoginCheck=Digest
StreamAuthority.RtspLoginCheck=Digest

These are undocumented settings, and I am not planning on testing if they can be disabled. I don't need ONVIF that badly, it was just interesting poking around to see what might be possible.
Just wanted to report, I was able to connect with ONVIR with onvifLoginCheck=true and was able to successfully authenticate with my admin credentials. The AD110 would show up under Onvif Device Manager and when I tried to connect with it, I got an authentication error, but at the end of the error it said something along the lines of '0 tries left'. I performed a hard reset on my doorbell and went through the setup process again. After the doorbell was reset, I tried connecting with the doorbell again through Onvif Device manager with admin/admin. I got the authentication error again, but it said I had 23 tries left. I tried once more with my admin password and it connected. Additionally, I was able to connect the doorbell cam to my Swann NVR (which only supports raysharp and Onvif) without issue.

I'm not sure why there were zero tries left on the onvif protocol as I'm sure I didn't go through 24+ failed attempts before getting it figured out. I am also able to confirm that a successful authentication resets the number of attempts remaining.

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just wanted to report, I was able to connect with ONVIR with onvifLoginCheck=true and was able to successfully authenticate with my admin credentials.
Thanks for sharing! You're the first I've heard of ever being able to stream this doorbell solely via ONVIF protocols and authenticate successfully.

Was your AD110 updated with the v200828 firmware?

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So the amcrest cloud server went out today...

I didn't know it was down... Rebooted my wifi, the doorbell stopped working both with the cloud app of local nvr stream using the private 37777 protocol

It's a little bit disheartening to know that it seems if during start up the doorbell can't get to the cloud server the local nvr can't access the camera either....

Can the onvif folks try to block the doorbell from internet access, reboot the bell, and see if it is still able to access and stream via onvif if during start up the bell can't phone home to amcrest?

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Amcrest SmartHome server handling authentication came back up right about the time you posted. I never lost RTSP connectivity with my NVR or Home Assistant.

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Amcrest SmartHome server handling authentication came back up right about the time you posted. I never lost RTSP connectivity with my NVR or Home Assistant via RTSP.
Right, I rebooted my wifi causing the bell to lose connection earlier in the day, my nvr was not able to stream rtsp from the bell until the smarthome server come back up. So I think the bell must complete start up connection with the smart home server before it would accept private 37777 stream request. Not sure about onvif request

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
At the Amcrest support forum it was reported that doorbells on the 200828 firmware (which was recalled) did lose RTSP/NVR connectivity due to the cloud outage that impacted authentication. This is very disturbing if this dependency will continue with subsequent releases.

On 200702 firmware (currently the "latest"), the cloud outage had no impact to local connectivity, other than the SH app was kaput with failing authentication.

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
At the Amcrest support forum it was reported that doorbells on the 200828 firmware (which was recalled) did lose RTSP/NVR connectivity due to the cloud outage that impacted authentication. This is very disturbing if this dependency will continue with subsequent releases.

On 200702 firmware (currently the "latest"), the cloud outage had no impact to local connectivity, other than the SH app was kaput with failing authentication.
I'm on 200828 :lmao: cause that version fixed the last cloud outage due to the IP/DNS/servername issue

GaryOkie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It was actually the 200702 release that fixed the issue where the doorbell had a fixed cloud IP and went "offline" when AWS changed server IP's. 200828 was supposed to fix night IR/power issues and some unidentified Motion Detection issue. It was recalled 4 days after it was released with no explanation (and I have asked).

There is currently no way to back out a firmware. That's another thing Amcrest needs to address. Anyway, I heard that the new firmware may be out later this week. I will not be first in line, but since you are on 200828, it should be an improvement. Let us know how it goes!

n3wb
Reaction score
I think those doorbells look good but I am not giving up the 180 Vertical after having it. Being able to see the package on the ground is worth more than the wide-angle when I have other cameras. Plus the loss of resolution and frame rate.