Amcrest UltraHD 4K (8MP) Outdoor Security IP Turret PoE Camera, 3840x2160, 164ft NightVision, 2.8mm Lens, IP67 Weatherproof, MicroSD Recording (128GB)

sonypany

n3wb
Reaction score
Anyone have an opinion for
Amcrest UltraHD 4K (8MP) Outdoor Security IP Turret PoE Camera, 3840x2160, 164ft NightVision, 2.8mm Lens, IP67 Weatherproof, MicroSD Recording (128GB), Black (IP8M-T2499EB-28MM)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @sonypany

It looks like the Turret version of the Amcrest 8MP bullet IP8M-2496EB-28MM

If so it should perform similar to that bullet. We have some examples of image captures here on SDs iirc from the bullet version.

The executive summary for the bullet is:
Good in well lighted conditions.
Not so good in low light.

It is a Dahua OEM, however a more affordable model - and thus no IVS features iirc.

Unless you're getting a good deal on it, I would skip it. ( I picked up a bullet version for $65+/- at an Amazon special sale .. )

If you're looking for a better low light performer look at the Dahua OEM starlights / starlight+ or Hikvision darkfighter models.
If you want a 8MP that performs better in low light look for the Dahua models with 1/1.8" sensors.. so far iirc no turrets yet...

sonypany

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @sonypany

It looks like the Turret version of the Amcrest 8MP bullet IP8M-2496EB-28MM

If so it should perform similar to that bullet. We have some examples of image captures here on SDs iirc from the bullet version.

The executive summary for the bullet is:
Good in well lighted conditions.
Not so good in low light.

It is a Dahua OEM, however a more affordable model - and thus no IVS features iirc.

Unless you're getting a good deal on it, I would skip it. ( I picked up a bullet version for $65+/- at an Amazon special sale .. )

If you're looking for a better low light performer look at the Dahua OEM starlights / starlight+ or Hikvision darkfighter models.
If you want a 8MP that performs better in low light look for the Dahua models with 1/1.8" sensors.. so far iirc no turrets yet...
Mat200 Thank you very much I am planning on buying 10 high-quality IP cameras that would work with Blue Iris. I will appreciate it if you can provide me some model numbers of some high-quality cameras. This Amcrest 8MP bullet IP8M-2496EB-28MM model can be bought for $ 97.00 each. I just found out that they only have VGA video quality for substream and third stream.
Your input is greatly appreciated.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Mat200 Thank you very much I am planning on buying 10 high-quality IP cameras that would work with Blue Iris. I will appreciate it if you can provide me some model numbers of some high-quality cameras. This Amcrest 8MP bullet IP8M-2496EB-28MM model can be bought for $ 97.00 each. I just found out that they only have VGA video quality for substream and third stream.
Your input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks @sonypany

Re: substream resolution - not unusual to see lower resolutions for substreams as they are typically designed to be consumed by mobile devices and the NVR when on multicamera views.

For better quality cameras see the list @SouthernYankee includes in his welcome message to new members. You can read the reviews and see that the members here have vetted those models.

notes:
The LaView Saturn turret is also a Dahua OEM, and appears slightly better than the Amcrest one ( retains the IVS features ). You can compare their prices if you like. Unfortunately LaView's website was recently inflected with malware and people had the CC info stolen and fraudulent charges hit those who purchased from LaView.

Nellys should have some nice deals around BF - they're here in the vendor section.
Andy EmpireTech also is here and may do a bit of a discount also for the BF season. Andy should be able to get you just about any Dahua OEM international model camera you want.

Since BF-cyberweek is coming up I would watch for some deals.

Perhaps Montavue, LTS, Security may also have some deals. Lorex will also - however the Dahua OEM cameras they have also have the IVS functionality stripped from them.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks @sonypany

Re: substream resolution - not unusual to see lower resolutions for substreams as they are typically designed to be consumed by mobile devices and the NVR when on multicamera views.

For better quality cameras see the list @SouthernYankee includes in his welcome message to new members. You can read the reviews and see that the members here have vetted those models.

notes:
The LaView Saturn turret is also a Dahua OEM, and appears slightly better than the Amcrest one ( retains the IVS features ). You can compare their prices if you like. Unfortunately LaView's website was recently inflected with malware and people had the CC info stolen and fraudulent charges hit those who purchased from LaView.

Nellys should have some nice deals around BF - they're here in the vendor section.
Andy EmpireTech also is here and may do a bit of a discount also for the BF season. Andy should be able to get you just about any Dahua OEM international model camera you want.

Since BF-cyberweek is coming up I would watch for some deals.

Perhaps Montavue, LTS, Security may also have some deals. Lorex will also - however the Dahua OEM cameras they have also have the IVS functionality stripped from them.
Do you have a link to anything about this? I'm wondering when it was b/c I had a CC get stolen and charged last week. Had to cancel it.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
* Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras oif you need good low light cameras.
* More megapixel is not necessarily better.
* Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)

Cameras to look at
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-HDW5231R-ZE Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+)
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
IPC-T2347G-LU Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
N22AL12 New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry

Other dahua 4MP starlight Dahua 4MP Starlight Lineup

My preferred indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35A Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have a link to anything about this? I'm wondering when it was b/c I had a CC get stolen and charged last week. Had to cancel it.
Hi Area651

In another forum there was a complete discussion on this in a recent "LaVew" camera deal.

megazone23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's in August to Early Sept, 2019. Could be even earlier than August as I got warning from Kaspersky at least a few weeks before I made a purchase in Sept that unfortunately I ignored the warning from Kaspersky.

Blizzerd

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey!

Are the enhanced version worth it? LaView Saturn 4K 8MP PoE IP Turret Cameras

Enhanced

if I used the enhanced would have to use laview app? The Saturn series says Mobile App: iDMSS Lite or gDMSS Lite which seems like a better app

thank you!

sonypany

n3wb
Reaction score

DroMike

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anyone have an opinion for
Amcrest UltraHD 4K (8MP) Outdoor Security IP Turret PoE Camera, 3840x2160, 164ft NightVision, 2.8mm Lens, IP67 Weatherproof, MicroSD Recording (128GB), Black (IP8M-T2499EB-28MM)
I just purchased this model myself (albeit in white). I have numerous Amcrest indoor (WiFi) and outdoor (POE) cams but knew I wanted this since it's the only outdoor Amcrest camera with built-in audio. I'm going to install it tomorrow or during the weekend but based on online reviews I've found and my personal experience with my lesser MP/resolution Amcrest bullet cams, I'm certain it will be a stellar performer. And again, WITH the addition of AUDIO!!!

Schnoidz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Back in October Amazon was selling them for $98 so I have 6 of these outside (4 white 2 black) and think they are great daytime cameras. They're not bad at night either but I don't yet have any "real" low light cameras to compare them with. I do have the areas flooded with external IR lights though.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey!

Are the enhanced version worth it? LaView Saturn 4K 8MP PoE IP Turret Cameras

Enhanced

if I used the enhanced would have to use laview app? The Saturn series says Mobile App: iDMSS Lite or gDMSS Lite which seems like a better app

thank you!
Good grief stay away from anything LAView! I have 4 cameras (all given to me) and their tech support is laughable. I contacted them to get them all to the same firmware release and was told "don't touch them if they're working because if you try to flash at all, you may brick them. We dont touch firmwares unless there's a problem where the camera wont work at all".

At that point, I saw what kind of "tech" they had. If my cameras werent free, I'd be pissed!

DroMike

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Back in October Amazon was selling them for $98 so I have 6 of these outside (4 white 2 black) and think they are great daytime cameras. They're not bad at night either but I don't yet have any "real" low light cameras to compare them with. I do have the areas flooded with external IR lights though.
Congrats on that great price! Otherwise I totally agree. I actually just installed my Amcrest IP8M-T2499E a few hours ago and love the daytime view I saw on BI, not to mention the bonus audio which surprisingly picks up a lot). Now that it's later and dark here in California I'm noticing that the night vision is OK enough for my purposes, but probably far from great (not that I've had another - as you say - "real" low light camera to judge it against). Maybe I'll peruse So. Yankee's list above (and thank you for that) to see if a different one is a reasonable enough value (compared to the $110 I paid for my 2499) to justify its purchase. I mean I DO have another 16 days to return it for free.... ;-)