AMD Versus Intel

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
man that cpu usage chart BP provided makes you just think...what if VCE or w/e its called was supported.
That would make AMD a lot more competitive, but there would still be the fact that you can buy used/refurbished Intel systems cheaper than comparable AMD systems, so the recommendation for most people would still not change.

pcunite

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
... you have the same control over a 500 dollar server as you do over a 3k server ... Avigilon is lighter and has lots more features useful for your commercial needs ...
Okay, gotcha. At first I was thinking I had to buy proprietary hardware. An inexpensive server is very desirable and if Avigilon works out to be cheaper, that sounds great. I was really wanting to help the Blue Iris team. Hopefully they can produce something CPU friendly in the future. I appreciate all the advice.

asilva54

n3wb
Reaction score
That would make AMD a lot more competitive, but there would still be the fact that you can buy used/refurbished Intel systems cheaper than comparable AMD systems, so the recommendation for most people would still not change.
Agree, there is limited 2nd hand market on ryzen anything right now. I came across a ryzen 1700 based homelab just because I got it dirt cheap and wouldnt be the typical use case, so I am looking to restore my TS140 just for BI temporarily and free up a VM. I think i am just itching tho for the AMD support.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, gotcha. At first I was thinking I had to buy proprietary hardware. An inexpensive server is very desirable and if Avigilon works out to be cheaper, that sounds great. I was really wanting to help the Blue Iris team. Hopefully they can produce something CPU friendly in the future. I appreciate all the advice.
blue iris can run on an inexpensive server as well...depends on your load...99 percent of BI installations can run on a 100-300 dollar machine...I didnt say avigilon would be cheaper, its just that it seems you have a large budget and money is not really an issue...its a much better vms.

bcr4977

n3wb
Reaction score
blue iris can run on an inexpensive server as well...depends on your load...99 percent of BI installations can run on a 100-300 dollar machine...I didnt say avigilon would be cheaper, its just that it seems you have a large budget and money is not really an issue...its a much better vms.
Just bought a HP 6300 PRO SFF with an i5-3470, 8GB RAM, and 500GB HD shipped on eBay. I installed Windows 2012 R2 and added a 120GB SSD. It pulls 25-30 watts with 3 camera's ( 2 x 3MP, 1 x 4MP) all at 10fps, H.264 encoding enabled, and without Direct to Disc(demo version). It's for my parents, I'm not giving up my powerhog just yet! ;)

If someone develops a synthetic benchmark I would be happy to run it to provide data for other setups. I'm sure there are other members who would also contribute.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Just bought a HP 6300 PRO SFF with an i5-3470, 8GB RAM, and 500GB HD shipped on eBay. I installed Windows 2012 R2 and added a 120GB SSD. It pulls 25-30 watts with 3 camera's ( 2 x 3MP, 1 x 4MP) all at 10fps, H.264 encoding enabled, and without Direct to Disc(demo version). It's for my parents, I'm not giving up my powerhog just yet! ;)
One of the main reasons to buy a used computer is to get the OS license for free!!

If someone develops a synthetic benchmark I would be happy to run it to provide data for other setups. I'm sure there are other members who would also contribute.
Blue Iris Update Helper

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

with direct to disc and hardware acceleration enabled the cpu consumption will be much lower resulting in even less power consumption..

mezger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for posting these up bp2008. Clear numbers. Looks like we ended up in the same ballpark WRT our 1800X observations.

The GPU test makes me optimistic that I can put a low end GPU in my i7 7700; I was concerned how it might interact with HW acceleration, and have been too lazy to try it out. If the offloading works like it did on my 1800x and your 8700k, I should be able to crank up the frame rates some and/or add a couple more cameras on my 7700. Will prob pick up an optiplex 8700 once they start showing up on the dell outlet so I can do the expansion I really want. One thing about the refurb optiplexes, they have the barest of bones PS, mobo, and pretty much everything, which makes them a great platform for this application. No overspec'd stuff to waste energy.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Will prob pick up an optiplex 8700 once they start showing up on the dell outlet so I can do the expansion I really want.
According to dell reps they will start selling the new optiplex 8th gens mid April....then it will take a few months for it to trickle down to the outlet...

mezger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Got it. Will probably do the GPU route in the very near term so I can up my MP/s significantly and then do the box upgrade late 2018.

hondaman

n3wb
Reaction score
Interesting information. Thanks for posting. So in your scenario, it is cheaper to build and run a Ryzen system for no fewer than 10 years than it is to build an Intel system using a 8700k when using my power rates. That is fantastic!

EDIT: Actually because of the additional hard drive in your intel system, it would always be cheaper to use Ryzen in your usage scenario

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting information. Thanks for posting. So in your scenario, it is cheaper to build and run a Ryzen system for no fewer than 10 years than it is to build an Intel system using a 8700k when using my power rates. That is fantastic!

EDIT: Actually because of the additional hard drive in your intel system, it would always be cheaper to use Ryzen in your usage scenario
Your math is off ryzen is always more expensive...you likely dont need an 8700k...but yes, ignore all the info on this forum and go the expensive route...intel is always most efficient..oh wait you already did and therefore just trying to make yourself feel better.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

I'm not sure you understood the results quite right. In every one of my tables and graphs, smaller values are better. Larger values are worse. Intel has a distinct lead over AMD when hardware acceleration is turned on. If you were building a new Blue Iris server using either of the two CPUs I tested, you'd save less than $50 going with AMD, and it would eventually even out due to power consumption.

Also Intel was dominant for so long that the market for used and refurbished computers is full of cheap Intel boxes for $100-$300 which are more than sufficient for most people's Blue Iris loads, and absolutely blow away AMD computers in terms of value.

nejakejnick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you bought i7-8700 with B360 MB, then it would be cheaper than AMD, and probably still better.

hondaman

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm not sure you understood the results quite right. In every one of my tables and graphs, smaller values are better. Larger values are worse. Intel has a distinct lead over AMD when hardware acceleration is turned on. If you were building a new Blue Iris server using either of the two CPUs I tested, you'd save less than $50 going with AMD, and it would eventually even out due to power consumption.

Also Intel was dominant for so long that the market for used and refurbished computers is full of cheap Intel boxes for $100-$300 which are more than sufficient for most people's Blue Iris loads, and absolutely blow away AMD computers in terms of value.
I understand your graphs, they are very clear. With the load in your test and if one was to build a computer for BI, it is cheaper to buy a run a Ryzen system. The negligible power savings the 8700k gives you would never make up the cheaper up front cost of a Ryzen system.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I understand your graphs, they are very clear. With the load in your test and if one was to build a computer for BI, it is cheaper to buy a run a Ryzen system. The negligible power savings the 8700k gives you would never make up the cheaper up front cost of a Ryzen system.
it is never cheaper to buy a razen system..you need to compare apples to apples...it will always be cheaper to buy an intel based system that will use the same load as the ryzen...

hondaman

n3wb
Reaction score
it is never cheaper to buy a razen system..you need to compare apples to apples...it will always be cheaper to buy an intel based system that will use the same load as the ryzen...
I dont think you understand what I'm trying to say.

If one was to build a machine and his choices were a 8700k or a Ryzen 1800x, AND his workload was similar to what bp2008 posted, it would be cheaper to build and operate the Ryzen system based on bp2008s numbers.

Of course there are cheap ebay systems for sale that will run BI just fine, no arguing that at all.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I dont think you understand what I'm trying to say.

If one was to build a machine and his choices were a 8700k or a Ryzen 1800x, AND his workload was similar to what bp2008 posted, it would be cheaper to build and operate the Ryzen system based on bp2008s numbers.

Of course there are cheap ebay systems for sale that will run BI just fine, no arguing that at all.
why in the world would you build an 8700k when a lesser cheaper processor would equate to the 1800x in terms of cpu usage...the comparison makes no sense..the bottom line is this...it is significantly cheaper to go intel over amd.

hondaman

n3wb
Reaction score
why in the world would you build an 8700k when a lesser cheaper processor would equate to the 1800x in terms of cpu usage...the comparison makes no sense..the bottom line is this...it is significantly cheaper to go intel over amd.
Lots of folks inquire about building a dedicated BI system. People like me and many others prefer to build rather than buy. I built my own computer for BI for instance. We both agree that you can buy a computer that will run BI far cheaper than you can build one. I'm pretty sure we can both agree that if one built a computer and his choices were a 8700k and Ryzen using bp2008s workload, the cheaper route is Ryzen.

nejakejnick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Lots of folks inquire about building a dedicated BI system. People like me and many others prefer to build rather than buy. I built my own computer for BI for instance. We both agree that you can buy a computer that will run BI far cheaper than you can build one. I'm pretty sure we can both agree that if one built a computer and his choices were a 8700k and Ryzen using bp2008s workload, the cheaper route is Ryzen.
And if the choices were 8700 and 1800x, Intel would be cheaper.