America Was Wrong About Ethanol - Study Shows

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My family were farmers, still have cousins etc.. farming. None of them like ethanol... but... it does help keep the price of corn up. :shrugs:
I personally don't use ethanol fuel in anything I own, but unfortunately it's getting more difficult to find gas without ethanol.

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My family were farmers, still have cousins etc.. farming. None of them like ethanol... but... it does help keep the price of corn up. :shrugs:
I personally don't use ethanol fuel in anything I own, but unfortunately it's getting more difficult to find gas without ethanol.
Yes, the grain farmers like it, it has driven up the price of grain.

But, it has also driven up the price of inputs, so it is essentially a wash. Kinda like McDonald’s workers demanding minimum wage increasing. Somehow that price of a number 1 went up.

Ethanol really hurts the livestock guys because our feed prices went up.

A year ago corn was $3.20 a bushel. The feed I got delivered today I just paid $8 a bushel.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep the price of corn is way up.
We have some leavings, from after a brewer has a run, that we substitute. You need to test to see what food value it still has.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It caused me to buy carburetors for my lawn equipment at least every other season. Sometimes more.
Been running 100% unleaded 87 octane gas in 4 stroke riding mower and trim mower since 2008, no issues. Yes, the Kohler in the Cadet is 14!

Also run 100% gas with 50:1 oil in the 2-stroke weed trimmer and 2-stroke blower, both are about 6 years old. My 2-stroke Echo chain saw is also 10 years old and runs a 50:1 mix, they state in their warranty that it's void if any Ethanol-blend gas is put in it.

I burn 10% Ethanol only in my vehicles. FWIW, the Ford Ranger 4.0L V6 is coming up on 23 years old, 190K miles, only replaced plugs at 100K and a ignition coil at 120K. From California in '99 it has CA emissions and has always burned unleaded 87 RON. That includes several years in CA of that MTBE additive crap. IMO, that 4.0L V6 is a GREAT little engine....just keeps on tickin'.

The MTBE additive in CA was eating up rubber lines and rubber pushbutton primers in the lawn equipment every year. :confused:

Last edited:

Lawnboy1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Been running 100% unleaded 87 octane gas in 4 stroke riding mower and trim mower since 2008, no issues. Yes, the Kohler in the Cadet is 14!

Also run 100% gas with 50:1 oil in the 2-stroke weed trimmer and 2-stroke blower, both are about 6 years old. My 2-stroke Echo chain saw is also 10 yeras old and runs a 50:1 mix, they state in their warranty that it's void if any Ethanol-blend gas is put in it.

I burn 10% Ethanol only in my vehicles. FWIW, the Ford Ranger 4.0L V6 is coming up on 23 years old, 190K miles, only replaced plugs at 100K and a ignition coil at 120K. From California in '99 it has CA emissions and has always burned unleaded 87 RON. That includes several years in CA of that MTBE additive crap. IMO, that 4.0L V6 is a GREAT little engine....just keeps on tickin'.

The MTBE additive in CA was eating up rubber lines and rubber pushbutton primers in the lawn equipment every year. :confused:
I've had better luck with the primer buttons. They outlast the carbs hands down. I have an 02 Ram with about 400k miles that's still runs perfect. I did have a bad coil pack once. I changed them all along with plugs and all emissions sensors. One injector was bad too. So, I swapped them all. The truck still runs smooth. We don't have CA emissions here, but that ethanol sure as heck screws up the catalytic converter over time. I once put ethanol gas in a glass sample bottle and let it sit. It separated: solids on the bottom, whatever in the middle, condensate on top. That's about what I find in the carb bowls.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've had better luck with the primer buttons. They outlast the carbs hands down. I have an 02 Ram with about 400k miles that's still runs perfect. I did have a bad coil pack once. I changed them all along with plugs and all emissions sensors. One injector was bad too. So, I swapped them all. The truck still runs smooth. We don't have CA emissions here, but that ethanol sure as heck screws up the catalytic converter over time. I once put ethanol gas in a glass sample bottle and let it sit. It separated: solids on the bottom, whatever in the middle, condensate on top. That's about what I find in the carb bowls.
Judging by your forum username, you should know a lot more than me about mower gas! :lol:

Lawnboy mowers

Last edited:

Lawnboy1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, the grain farmers like it, it has driven up the price of grain.

But, it has also driven up the price of inputs, so it is essentially a wash. Kinda like McDonald’s workers demanding minimum wage increasing. Somehow that price of a number 1 went up.

Ethanol really hurts the livestock guys because our feed prices went up.

A year ago corn was $3.20 a bushel. The feed I got delivered today I just paid $8 a bushel.
I agree, the price of a number 1 increased, the amount of fries you get has decreased and the service is even worse. By the way, I'm no farmer, just a country boy who helped raise a few hogs and rabbits and also take care of our garden. To me $8 a bushel is a heck of a price to pay!

Lawnboy1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Juding by your forum username, you should know a lot more than me about mower gas! :lol:

Lawnboy mowers
I know a little.. I know that additives don't work. Running the carb dry and closing the shut off valve doesn't work. I know that Ethanol sucks (can I use that word?) And I also know all of this and STILL USE ETHANOL anyway. It's at every station. And when the price of good ole fossil fuel is factored in, it's a no brainer. Well, until I spend time doing repairs.