American made switch

Burner

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A Veteran Owned Small Business (VOSB)
I was looking around for a new switch and found DYMEC - American Industrial web site. There products are supposedly made in USA. We'll see when I receive my order. They currently have a 30% off coupon code that works! Call them to get the code.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
A Veteran Owned Small Business (VOSB)
I was looking around for a new switch and found DYMEC - American Industrial web site. There products are supposedly made in USA. We'll see when I receive my order. They currently have a 30% off coupon code that works! Call them to get the code.
I doubt its made in the USA, if it was they would plaster that info. Their pricing is absurd as well.

Burner

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I guess I'll find out when my new switch arrives... I realize the price was a little more then the imported stuff but if I can help Americans in some way I going to try. Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I guess I'll find out when my new switch arrives... I realize the price was a little more then the imported stuff but if I can help Americans in some way I going to try. Thanks
First its likely imported. Second, its not a little more. It obscenely more. Depending on the model purchased you can buy a 60-150 dollar "imported switch" and donate the extra 400 bux to the needy american of your choice.

gregbert

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I only spent a couple of minutes looking at their site, but they appear to be marketing to industrial and military customers. The products I looked at were hardened (NSA certified) and/or ruggedized. Their "about us" indicates they provide solutions to Traffic, Railway, Security, SCADA, etc.

I don't think they intend to have home users as customers, hence the high prices.

Burner

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The unit I bought after discount was about $15 dollars more then the cisco switch. It's running in my garage where the temperature gets higher than the cisco switch is rated. It didn't have a made in China sticker on it either.....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The unit I bought after discount was about $15 dollars more then the cisco switch. It's running in my garage where the temperature gets higher than the cisco switch is rated. It didn't have a made in China sticker on it either.....
Which model did you buy? and where is it made? The absence of a sticker indicating where its manufactured is more troubling than a made in china sticker.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
It was probably Made in Taiwan :)

Which model did you buy? and where is it made? The absence of a sticker indicating where its manufactured is more troubling than a made in china sticker.

Burner

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
According to the salesman and web site says it's supposed to be made in USA. He did say it may have some parts that are sourced in other countries. The model I purchased was the DY-G8080-4P. Price $125.00

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I hunted around on ebay for used Cisco. Probably overkill...but They're pretty sturdy. As part of my learning curve... I'm going to have an extra Cisco sg200 26p poe 802.3af switch pretty soon. I just received a Cisco WS-C3560X-24P-S PoE+ 802.3at I paid $75. I did however take intro to Cisco networking back, back, way back in 2000. never finished. So I can hack around a little and get them running.

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I hunted around on ebay for used Cisco. Probably overkill...but They're pretty sturdy. As part of my learning curve... I'm going to have an extra Cisco sg200 26p poe 802.3af switch pretty soon. I just received a Cisco WS-C3560X-24P-S PoE+ 802.3at I paid $75. I did however take intro to Cisco networking back, back, way back in 2000. never finished. So I can hack around a little and get them running.
Cisco switches are not made in America. Cisco's development staff are usually in San Jose, RTP, or Bangalore. The hardware is manufactured in China.