Analog cam to be connected in NVR

Erwann

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Anyone here already tried connecting an analog can to a network recorder? what items did you used on the conversion?

If the connection work (Analog to IP) can it be monitore remotely? TIA

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Anyone here already tried connecting an analog can to a network recorder? what items did you used on the conversion?

If the connection work (Analog to IP) can it be monitore remotely? TIA
what type of analog camera? cvbs, cvi, tvi, ahd?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
well, still planning to get one since not yet sure if it works 5mp-8mp reso..do u have any suggestion what model can work?
if you dont have the camera yet, why not use IP?
both the 5mp and 8mp models will suck at night and low light unless they have large sensors - which they likely dont.
Look for hikvision models that are marketed as low light cameras in the turret form factor. Avoid bullets.

Erwann

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks for the advice, actually I already have one IP cam ds-2cd2543g0-is but browsing online looks like analog are cheaper than IP.

what hik IP cam is best that is capable of audio recording?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
thanks for the advice, actually I already have one IP cam ds-2cd2543g0-is but browsing online looks like analog are cheaper than IP.

what hik IP cam is best that is capable of audio recording?
analog is cheaper there is more to a camera than the price.
some hik cams have built in mics some have audio in/out..start reading specs.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
what Teaf said. you need some sort of 'encoder' to connect any analog camera to an IP-only NVR.
They do exist, for compatibility in situations where one really cannot replace the cams and/or wiring for whatever reason, but it's not an economically viable solution.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is it because you want to use existing coax? If it's only one camera and one coax, I'd seriously consider using a POE-powered IP cam, POE injector and solid copper (not CCA) CAT-5e cable. For about $30 more + some good cable you can have a great, low-light turret-style cam with USA-based support and a 3 year warranty.

Analog:
  • cam ($40) + encoder ($70) = $110-130.
  • Biggest disadvantages: at that price, style will likely be bullet (spider webs) or dome (issues over time with UV, moisture + dust = foggy)

IP:
  • IPCT 2MP Turret style low-light cam (rebranded Hikvision) = $135
  • Active POE injector (if NVR is not POE or no POE switch) = $20
  • Biggest advantages: turret style (no spider webs), Low-light sensor, 3 year warranty by IPCamTalk, USA support

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Erwann

n3wb
Reaction score
i dont find much turret cam with built-in u der hik line-up..may you guys knkw exact models of hik turret cam with built-in mic..most i see are dome/bullet type.

BKG

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, this is my case: I have AVIGILON ENC-4P-H264 encoder and can't get it to work with BI. I tried adding it as a "AVIGILON"(which BI recognizes) and "ONVIF" neither one works, wondering if any additional setup required? I tried changing H264 or JPEG at the encoder end - no luck. Encoder upgraded to latest version. BI has latest update. Thank you.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello, this is my case: I have AVIGILON ENC-4P-H264 encoder and can't get it to work with BI. I tried adding it as a "AVIGILON"(which BI recognizes) and "ONVIF" neither one works, wondering if any additional setup required? I tried changing H264 or JPEG at the encoder end - no luck. Encoder upgraded to latest version. BI has latest update. Thank you.
Set to h264 and disable hardware acceleration/decoding for that stream in blue iris video tab

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No luck... Can you look at the attached pictures. I tried different scenarios. No luck with either or.
It looks like you are being locked out of the avigilon encoder due to too many incorrect login attempts. Did you enter the correct login info for the avigilon unit into BI??
have you tried cam no 1 or 2?
Also note that you are better off simply replacing the cams then messing with this. These are old vga cameras if they work with the encoder.

BKG

n3wb
Reaction score
It looks like you are being locked out of the avigilon encoder due to too many incorrect login attempts. Did you enter the correct login info for the avigilon unit into BI??
have you tried cam no 1 or 2?
Also note that you are better off simply replacing the cams then messing with this. These are old vga cameras if they work with the encoder.
fenderman, I am on the same page with you! I haven't used analog cameras for more then 12 years now. My installs are always been IP-based. But, there are still many sites where analog cameras are used and I'm talking sites with over 100 cams. Those are not as easy to convert to IP at once(budget is a big deal). Also being new to BI VMS I need to understand system's capabilities and limitations. And yes I did input correct login info :). Analog am is currently connected to input #4 on encoder. I attached additional screen shot from BI settings where fields under question are circled in red. This encoder does work with the other VMSs and I am sure since I am new to BI i am not inputing settings correctly. Also after setting the device to "AVIGILON" in settings and after that running "FIND/INSPECT" the system sets it up as ONVIF. Thank you!

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
fenderman, I am on the same page with you! I haven't used analog cameras for more then 12 years now. My installs are always been IP-based. But, there are still many sites where analog cameras are used and I'm talking sites with over 100 cams. Those are not as easy to convert to IP at once(budget is a big deal). Also being new to BI VMS I need to understand system's capabilities and limitations. And yes I did input correct login info :). Analog am is currently connected to input #4 on encoder. I attached additional screen shot from BI settings where fields under question are circled in red. This encoder does work with the other VMSs and I am sure since I am new to BI i am not inputing settings correctly. Also after setting the device to "AVIGILON" in settings and after that running "FIND/INSPECT" the system sets it up as ONVIF. Thank you!
Instead of using a bunch of these expensive encoders, you can use a dahua xvr, that will allow you to stream to BI and upgrade to 1080p cameras. I would not recommend using blue iris on sites with 100 cams even if they are vga. An enterprise vms is more suitable to that number - setting aside the 64 camera hard limit in BI.

Reactions: BKG