android app on local units "blue iris has stopped"

robck1

n3wb
Reaction score
all of my local devices running android stop just after launching app? Apple devices are fine. Any ideas,

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem No issues on iOS, no issues via web page, but the Android app keeps getting the same error. I thought maybe it was because of an old version of the software, but updated via the Google Play store to 2.0.45, and has made no difference.

robck1

n3wb
Reaction score
i have 8 android devices running variouse versions of android operating sys, and all of them do the same thing. i guess will have to email BI support.

Reaction score
I am having the same issue with Android device (Samsung Galaxy Tab A) running 6.0.1 - All IOS devices work fine as well as remote PC web interface. I have tried everything from first clearing the cache data on the Android device to totally deleting the app off the device, reinstalling the app. Also made the following changes on the server to create a new username / passoword in Blue Iris console and deleting the device in Blue Iris Console. App still crashes just after connecting to the server with the message - Unfortunately, Blue Iris has stopped. On the server I am running version 4.5.5.0 x64. If anyone finds a solution please post or feel free to contact me directly at djg@iwgconsulting. I will do the same. Good luck.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am having the same issue with Android device (Samsung Galaxy Tab A) running 6.0.1 - All IOS devices work fine as well as remote PC web interface. I have tried everything from first clearing the cache data on the Android device to totally deleting the app off the device, reinstalling the app. Also made the following changes on the server to create a new username / passoword in Blue Iris console and deleting the device in Blue Iris Console. App still crashes just after connecting to the server with the message - Unfortunately, Blue Iris has stopped. On the server I am running version 4.5.5.0 x64. If anyone finds a solution please post or feel free to contact me directly at djg@iwgconsulting. I will do the same. Good luck.
update to the latest server version .1 ...I dont have this problem using a nexus 5x with latest updates.

Reaction score
update to the latest server version .1 ...I dont have this problem using a nexus 5x with latest updates.
Updated server to 4.5.5.1 x64 and then uninstalled app from android device. Reinstalled app to same device. Same issue as before - app crashes after connecting to server. Just as a test I installed the app to an older android device that never had it installed before and it connects and works fine. So still not sure what is going on with the Galaxy Tab A running 6.0.1 but cannot get passed the "Unfortunately, Blue Iris has stopped" message when starting the app.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Updated server to 4.5.5.1 x64 and then uninstalled app from android device. Reinstalled app to same device. Same issue as before - app crashes after connecting to server. Just as a test I installed the app to an older android device that never had it installed before and it connects and works fine. So still not sure what is going on with the Galaxy Tab A running 6.0.1 but cannot get passed the "Unfortunately, Blue Iris has stopped" message when starting the app.
Email support...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Use the web interface, at least.

Also see the link in my signature for a better web interface.

The only thing that causes the Blue Iris android app to crash for me is trying to view a group that has a frame larger than 1920 x 1080 resolution. I suspect the hardware-based h.264 decoder :puke:s at that point.

DouglasteR

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Use the web interface, at least.

Also see the link in my signature for a better web interface.

The only thing that causes the Blue Iris android app to crash for me is trying to view a group that has a frame larger than 1920 x 1080 resolution. I suspect the hardware-based h.264 decoder :puke:s at that point.
After login, it opens my mosaic and then before showing any camera it crashes. Never had a problem before :(

DouglasteR

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I managed to isolate the problem, its the "All Cameras (index) view.

When i enter the app and quickly tap the "cameras" tab, it show them normally and do not crash.

If i try to enter again the "all cameras" mosaic it immediately crashes.

Strange :(

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Please tell me what resolution your All cameras group view is. You can find this easily in Chrome or Firefox by opening jpegpull.htm and right clicking the image, then choose open image in new tab. The title of the tab will contain the image resolution.

My theory, same as before, is that this image is larger than 1920x1080 in at least one dimension and that this is crashing the app.

If it is set to auto size and is producing larger than 1920x1080, then please let me know and I will warn the developer.

In the meantime you can try checking the box to specify a frame size, and reduce it to 1920x1080 or smaller. You can tweak one dimension or the other to improve the layout and reduce black space between cameras, too :)

DouglasteR

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You killed it ! :D

I specify the frame size to 1080p and its working again !

Thanks !

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You're welcome, but please help me gather some information. What exact resolution was it that crashed, and was it automatic or had you manually set it via the Specify frame size option?

If Blue Iris was automatically setting a resolution that crashes the mobile app, the developer needs to be told about it!!!

DouglasteR

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You're welcome, but please help me gather some information. What exact resolution was it that crashed, and was it automatic or had you manually set it?

If Blue Iris was automatically setting a resolution that crashes the mobile app, the developer needs to be told about it!!!
Sure, lets break it down.

1 - I have six 1280x720p cameras and 2 1080p cameras.
2 - Blueiris "Specify Frame size" was set to automatic, i changed it to 720p for now. But i will try 1080p later.

Let me know if you need anything else.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you would, uncheck the specify frame size option so it returns to automatic, and find out what resolution it is producing. You can find this easily in Chrome or Firefox by opening jpegpull.htm and right clicking the image, then choose open image in new tab. The title of the tab will contain the image resolution.