Another embarrassing blog by Hikvision trashing ipvm.com

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They don't call ipvm out by name in most cases, probably on advice of the legal dept. After all they're the ones making cameras that are ok except that they have minimal security and as a company fail at responding to security issues. Instead of actually fixing the issues and doing so in a manner that might inspire confidence they choose to do the opposite. While I know these posts are targeted at ipvm, some of them would also apply to other cyber security bloggers like krebsonsecurity.com who hasn't been too kind to hikvision or dahua either. All hik's doing is damaging their reputation it's kind of sad and kind of funny.

To be fair some cultural differences may be in play in the response. But I'd say if they want to do business in the west, they need to learn how to do PR in the west. "Alternative Facts" aren't going to do the job.

Last edited:

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
They don't call ipvm out by name in most cases, probably on advice of the legal dept.
My theory is that they (1) do not want to 'validate' IPVM by saying our name explicitly and (2) by framing us as a 'blog' rather than a company that does reporting, testing, software development, etc. they can belittle us. That or they think I am Voldemort...

But I'd say if they want to do business in the west, they need to learn how to do PR in the west.
I agree. In general, they have been solid at 'regular' PR by Western security manufacturer standards but they are evidently struggling to respond to criticism productively.