Another new member!

MyMonyPit

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I've been lurking for awhile. Checked things out a couple of months ago and then slacked off for awhile and now back again. This DOES seem to be the place for the best information. Been through the Wiki. Finally serious about installing some cameras though we've had no events at the house to precipitate this. I keep telling my wife though it's not a matter of if but a matter of when. We live in the country with no neighbors in sight (though they are close). I have two scenarios I'm looking at, one for me and one for a good friend.

1st Scenario
My residence. I'm retired from the IT world so I can get a little more complicated here. I have a Dell Inspiron 3650 sitting around with a 6th Generation Intel Core i5-6400 processor and 12GB RAM that I plan on using with Blue Iris. I want to start with one camera until I get the hang of it and thought I would pick up one of the Dahua Starlight models from Andy.

2nd Scenario
Friends workshop/storage building. I owe a friend of mine for doing some home remodeling work. I'd like to set up a system for him since he has had some problems at his big workshop/storage area. Some of you know, if you put it in, you own it, so I figure I'll also be fixing any issues he may have. Since this system needs to be simple and dependable, I'm considering an NVR with integrated POE.

Am I on the right track with my thinking?

Thanks!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan

I use Blue Iris multiple POE switches, it reduces the length of cable runs and the cable clutter at the BI pc

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Figured I wouldn't have to worry about OS updates, another PoE Switch, etc.
Maybe but if you believe what you said ("if you put it in, you own it"), I think it would be easier to login to his BI machine remotely to be changing detection thresholds, alerts, etc. than trying to do the same thing with an NVR. And you know how long it takes to fine tune some new cameras.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Some of you know, if you put it in, you own it, so I figure I'll also be fixing any issues he may have.
Not that you couldn't figure out most NVR problems with some "seat time" in front of it <or after doing some research (this forum has a ton of info)> but I'd guess if your friend's system was on the same platform as yours (Blue Iris), your first-hand knowledge would make for easier and better support.

Plus if you guys are both on Blue Iris, you don't have to worry about accidentally showing him your BI remote app on your phone and having him go "why didn't you set me up with that?". :)

MyMonyPit

n3wb
Reaction score
Have placed my order for one IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 2MP Starlight Camera from EmpireTech's Amazon site. At least I can get my feet wet and start playing with Blue Iris. Thanks for the suggestions so far.