Another "That camera is following me" clip

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Most impressive. When I pass my IPcamTalk General knowledge test and get a license to point that thing, I'll think about it :)
.....Only thing... You can never tell your girlfriend, before you buy it.
But for sure they will smack you after it's up and running.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes and 2 presets.
This was actually a complicated setup and many bourbons were consumed over months to get it working right.

Notice when they first stopped it decided to go back to its preset as it didnt sense any more movement (Something that is quite aggravating, there should be a dwell time setting) Once back at preset it picked up movement again and tracked again.

That first video is actually preset 2 not its "home". Its home preset is zoomed further up the street. Another fixed 5442 watches the actual turn around, and acts as a spotter for the PTZ in case something slips by its initial tracking at preset #1

Here's the initial "home" Preset#1 picking them up about 450-500ft up the street
preset1.jpg
Notice it breaks tracking once then re-acquires. Tracking set for Human only filter
View attachment HOA Rear_ch1_20211005111115_20211005111251.mp4

Then the spotter 5442 picks them up (human only filter again and only humans heading toward the cul-de-sac), and tells the PTZ to go to Preset #2 and watch the cul-de-sac. Remember this is "behind" its initial home view. So the spotter is really acting as a backup in case the PTZ were to lose tracking from its initial home.
Spotter 5442 Tripwire
spotter5442.jpg

And finally to your question, here's the Tripwire/Intrusion zone covering the Preset2 cul-de-sac view
preset2.jpg

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep!
The reason this one was hard is that I had to set the spotter tripwire perfectly between the preset1 and preset2 IVS lines so there was no crossover, and I had to sort out direction of travel and the many possibilities of how people may traverse the scene. Its still not perfect, but that is a good example of what i was trying to achieve

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When I grow up I wanna have Spotter cams too. dammit all.
I might be too Joe Six pack to deal with it.
You can do it now with all your cams and that cheap @$$ PTZ lol.

Before I got an autotrack PTZ I created a poor-mans autotrack for my cheap@$$ PTZ and it worked surprisingly well. Seven cloned cameras in BI each with a zone identified to a preset for the PTZ.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
You can do it now with all your cams and that cheap @$$ PTZ lol.

Before I got an autotrack PTZ I created a poor-mans autotrack for my cheap@$$ PTZ and it worked surprisingly well. Seven cloned cameras in BI each with a zone identified to a preset for the PTZ.
I still do that with mine now. I think we've collaborated a few times here to get some other poor-man's setups going. lol

Just do it @Flintstone61. It's worth it just to see it work and amaze yourself that you could make it do that. Once you get the first spotter/preset working you'll be hooked and the rest are easy.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Now I have the PTZ out back. ( on Goose shit patrol.) i suppose I have 3 cams in the rear......that can be "trigger" cams.
can you make it track to more than 1 preset on a single cam using different zones?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes. You can tie the spotters to move the PTZ to different presets. e.g., Spotter 1 triggers, move to Preset 1. Spotter 2 triggers. move to preset 2. Etc...

And as @wittaj said above, you can create clones of the spotters/zones to trigger and move things in more complex ways.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes.
The problem I see with Intrusion boxes alone, (and this is pure observation I haven’t done extensive controlled A/B testing to prove it) is that they are even more sensitive to the “3D” effect than Tripwires, and harder to visualize in your head. You really have to experiment with different layouts for the Intrusion box to account for this.

Even if you have the 3D positioning right, both can still miss a subject due I think primarily to contrast or lack thereof, other obstacles in the scene, and sometimes object speed, but the Intrusion box seems to miss far more for me.

On the other hand, Tripwire suffers because the object must cross the line, so a single line sometimes misses, which is why I like the zig-zag. I think the “crossing” sensitivity of Tripwire is better than that of Intrusion, while Intrusion has the obvious benefit of the “Appears” filter, but that is less sensitive.

By combining the two I’m simply adding redundancy and it’s free!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
But you can do this with Blue Iris as well!

I have several spotter cams doing this exact thing, and get instances where the person stops from the original spotter cam and the PTZ goes back to the preset, and then another spotter picks them back up and swings the PTZ to another preset.