Another user looking for advice on Home Surveillance system

nguyen220

n3wb
Reaction score
So let many others, i'm here seeking help in building a home surveillance system for my brother in law (BIL).

I know basic setups and wiring, but not too much about best choice of dvr or cameras. I just somewhat know what I need.

So background: BIL remodeled home and I ran 6000' of cat6 ethernet cable for internet, phone, and security cameras.

He has a mixed of indoor cameras and outdoor for a total of approximately 22 cameras for his home (big home, lots of areas to cover). I know I will need a 32 channel dvr (DVR would have 16 channels and I would need to add atleast 8 port POE for total of 24 channels).

What he would like is to have a closed circuit for the internal cameras (3-4) and vpn access to the other 18-19 cameras for the outside.

The system should be able to record at minimum 1 week of data (continuous) have IVS/IVA dectection technology.

I follow SD a lot and read about mat2000 suggestions for camera systems, but most of the system I see on SD are no more than 16 channels. I am unsure for systems bigger than 16 channels what is good or not and emplore your help.

Kenneth.

nguyen220

n3wb
Reaction score
Just got the wiki information:

Goals:
  1. Mix of daylight and low light cameras (50/50).
  2. cameras mounted both: obvious/blended
  3. capturing license plate would be nice (probably only need 1 -2)
  4. Yes to parked cars. Front of house has wires for 6 cameras.
  5. Wildlife activity: no
  6. Design a system for all above if possible: Detection, Observation, Recognition, identification

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome @nguyen220

1) Does your BIL already has the cameras? If so, What brand(s) / OEM(s)?
2) What sort of resolution(s)?
3) Does he already know what he plans to do w/re to live display? Wall of monitors? ( you may need a setup to just display all the H.264/265 feeds.
4) Who needs access to the videos remotely?
5) Who needs access to the internal cameras?

Should be an interesting setup.

nguyen220

n3wb
Reaction score
  1. No do not have cameras yet, had ask me to look for something that meet his needs. Brand is not a preference, however having a good detection like IVS/IVA is something he would like (better than the pixel style detection method)
  2. 4-8 mp for day, and 2 mp for night. Because I setup the front of the house to have 6 cameras, I was planning a possible mix. BIL has even ask for a possible PTZ and license plate reading camera as possibilities
  3. He was just thinking of looking on his TV. I'm not a familiar in this section and that's the plan for now.
  4. Access by himself and spouse and possibly parents who live 5 minutes away.
  5. himself and spouse.
So far im at a lost, this is definitely a big leap for me from buying a standard LaView kit or costco kit :)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @nguyen220

I would guess then getting a nice mix of various Dahua OEM cameras would be a good option. I would probably mix Dahua OEM 2MP starlights with some of the newer 8MP Dahua OEM models ( some US vendors carry the newer 8MP models - Montavue is one of those - Lorex also getting them in but without IVS features )

If you go Blue Iris you'll probably need a nice beefy newer i7 system - I'll let the BI folks chime in on that one. If you go the NVR route, then i'd look at the Dahua NVR5432-xx-xx model.

Maybe useful to plan a way to also make a redundant and hidden video storage some place. Hmm... wonder how hard it is to make a BI / Dahua OEM NVR hybrid system. If you place the "sucker"/bait NVR next to the TV doing the display any thieves may take that...

Search on "review" in the title to see member reviews of various cameras ( see the search box in the upper right )

Also fenderman posted that a newer 4MP "starlight+" model is expected out sometime this year iirc - so depending on your BILs's schedule to install cameras it maybe nice to see how well that model(s) turn out ( if you have time to wait ).

Last edited:

nguyen220

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the information mat. I'm looking into your suggestion of having 2 nvr systems as well as looking into the Dahua NVR5432-xx-xx model and a smaller 8 channel model. One for close circuit and the other for access via vpn. You mentioned montavue, I assume they are dahua cameras as well? I saw some promos on them from your link on SD.

In regards to Blue Iris, BIL does not want to hook it up to a pc so Blue Iris is out of the question. In regards to the TV, typically yes it would be easy for people to take the unit, however the system is placed in an upper loft as part of a secured room.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
one you build the other you don't. BIL doesn't want to build a pc, Where as buying a NVR all you need to really do is add additional hard drives.
Has he ever heard of HP and Dell? You don't have to build anything in fact it's way cheaper to buy pre-built systems. Both Dell and HP have super business class systems. For ninety-nine percent of setups you need a 100 to $200 PC c wiki.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
.. You mentioned montavue, I assume they are dahua cameras as well?....
Hi @nguyen220

Yes the montavue products are Dahua OEM - they were one of the vendors which had some decent deals this last BF-cyberweek on IP POE cameras / kits which I liked.

Reaction score
What @fenderman said, get a previous-generation i7 Dell Optiplex SFF system off eBay for $200. It and $50 for BlueIris will serve longer and better than any inexpensive NVR could possibly do. With NVRs, you are limited to what is delivered, and the convenience of an NVR comes at the cost of flexibility.