Anran cams

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, thats pretty straight forward. Thanks for the honesty. What is a good alternative?
The the wiki on the top of the page and look at the cliff notes...forget wifi completely
if you want good images at night and low light look at the dahua starlight cameras there are multiple threads on them...if you want an excellent NVR look at running a dedicated pc with blue iris.

MickUpi

n3wb
Reaction score
Wow, what a great tip. I have been using Blue Iris for several years with some wired cameras. I never knew it could be used as a DVR. I also checked out the Dauha cameras. At 2 and 4 mp they are impressive. Now I want to put some cameras in places where I can't easily run wires. Thanks for the info Fenderman.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, what a great tip. I have been using Blue Iris for several years with some wired cameras. I never knew it could be used as a DVR. I also checked out the Dauha cameras. At 2 and 4 mp they are impressive. Now I want to put some cameras in places where I can't easily run wires. Thanks for the info Fenderman.
I think you're confused.... What were you using blueiris for if not as an NVR? You want the 2 megapixel Starlight cameras not the 4-megapixel.... Avoid using Wireless whenever possible... Use the turret design for best results... Read the wiki on top... You are better off paying a professional to run wire then screwing around with wireless.

MickUpi

n3wb
Reaction score
I was using Blue Iris with a separate DVR and 8 wired cameras. Since I have moved it will not be easy to run video cables to some of the locations. One of the examples is a boat dock about 60 feet from the back of my house.I was using a video capture card to capture the image and place it on a web page. See this link. TreeTops Webcam Mick

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I was using Blue Iris with a separate DVR and 8 wired cameras. Since I have moved it will not be easy to run video cables to some of the locations. One of the examples is a boat dock about 60 feet from the back of my house.I was using a video capture card to capture the image and place it on a web page. See this link. TreeTops Webcam Mick
if you were running an old pc you will need to upgrade.
how are you sending the video from the dock right now?
you can always use point to point wifi like ubiquiti (lots of threads discussing them).

MickUpi

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm not sending any video now. I can't get a wire out there. There is concrete, a boardwalk, and a lawn between the house and the dock.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sending any video now. I can't get a wire out there. There is concrete, a boardwalk, and a lawn between the house and the dock.
with the ubiquiti all you need is line of sight.