Any backup to prevent system crash when on vacation?

m3tpe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a question for you people who use blueiris and record footage to your desktop.
I'm currently running an i7-5500k with 16gb ram and 2tb drive (dedicated drive) to record on.
But I do realized that the blueiris app can crash for no apparent reason after a period of time. Is there a way to prevent this from happening when your away on vacation? I don't have a remote system turned on to access the desktop to relaunch the app. I do have Blue Iris Tools installed, but that doesn't seem to relaunch the app when it somehow crashes. I want to foolproof this with a backup plan. What do you suggest?

chaycock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you are running BI as a Windows Service, then it does not matter if the UI crashes (mine does all the time), the background service will keep running and recording.
If you are running it as a service and it is crashing, you can go to the service properties and tell the system to restart the service on crash.
It is really not a good idea to run it in non-service mode where the UI component is also doing the recording, because when that crashes, it does stop recording.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a question for you people who use blueiris and record footage to your desktop.
I'm currently running an i7-5500k with 16gb ram and 2tb drive (dedicated drive) to record on.
But I do realized that the blueiris app can crash for no apparent reason after a period of time. Is there a way to prevent this from happening when your away on vacation? I don't have a remote system turned on to access the desktop to relaunch the app. I do have Blue Iris Tools installed, but that doesn't seem to relaunch the app when it somehow crashes. I want to foolproof this with a backup plan. What do you suggest?
Blueiris tools does relaunch the software.. regardless if you're experiencing regular crashes then you have another issue you need to fix because that should not be happening... See mem leak threads

m3tpe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Blueiris tools does relaunch the software.. regardless if you're experiencing regular crashes then you have another issue you need to fix because that should not be happening... See mem leak threads
Well looks like the system crashed, because i'm away in europe now and my EERO router app shows the desktop online, but I can't login to Blue Iris using the phone app. And I haven't been receiving any email alerts of the motion. Yes I believe BlueIris Tools is on running the background.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well looks like the system crashed, because i'm away in europe now and my EERO router app shows the desktop online, but I can't login to Blue Iris using the phone app. And I haven't been receiving any email alerts of the motion. Yes I believe BlueIris Tools is on running the background.
You should install remote access software like TeamViewer

m3tpe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'll be working on this in a few days after getting back to my residence.
Btw, do any of you use blueiris and a DVR as a backup (at the same time)? How would I go about setting up a DVR? Which one did you buy?

Marcelor73

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have not had much success with the phone app, so I wouldn't trust that just because you can't log in on the app it means your system crashed. I don't have any issues with BI crashing, but on occasion, I've had windows itself crash or reboot. What I do before going out of town for a while is reboot the system myself (you should periodically anyway) and I turn off automatic updates for that PC (I get notified and update when I want to, not when windows wants).

Not to hijack the tread, but how do I make sure BI is running as a Windows service? I have added BI to the list of programs to start up automatically when Windows boots up, but it still doesn't work. I also have to click "yes" every time to allow BI to "make changes to this computer". How do I get rid of that?

m3tpe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have not had much success with the phone app, so I wouldn't trust that just because you can't log in on the app it means your system crashed. I don't have any issues with BI crashing, but on occasion, I've had windows itself crash or reboot. What I do before going out of town for a while is reboot the system myself (you should periodically anyway) and I turn off automatic updates for that PC (I get notified and update when I want to, not when windows wants).

Not to hijack the tread, but how do I make sure BI is running as a Windows service? I have added BI to the list of programs to start up automatically when Windows boots up, but it still doesn't work. I also have to click "yes" every time to allow BI to "make changes to this computer". How do I get rid of that?
I know for sure the program crashed on the desktop since it stopped emailing me as well.

vfrex

n3wb
Reaction score
By DVR, do you mean a separate system that continuously records? Not a bad idea if your primary box is unreliable or you can't get the motion detection tuned quite right.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

It's a setting in blue iris options..your Mobile app issue is user error..
You cannot simply add it to startup... there are a bunch of threads explaining how to do it using task scheduler this allows for the interface to come back on on it's own

Marcelor73

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's a setting in blue iris options..your Mobile app issue is user error..
You cannot simply add it to startup... there are a bunch of threads explaining how to do it using task scheduler this allows for the interface to come back on on it's own
How can the mobile app issue be user error when sometimes it works? If it works some of the time, I have it configured correctly, right?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How can the mobile app issue be user error when sometimes it works? If it works some of the time, I have it configured correctly, right?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
No, it can be a firewall issue or a router Dos attack or similar issue...or your ddns provider, or your cell provider...if it works sometimes it proves it's not a blue iris issue as blue iris would have no control of when it works..

m3tpe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I did use that. Apparently it didn't restart the crash app. Maybe the install was bad or something happened. I'll look into the settings again. Also will install something like TeamViewer.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
I did use that. Apparently it didn't restart the crash app. Maybe the install was bad or something happened. I'll look into the settings again. Also will install something like TeamViewer.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk
Make sure to read the Readme thread and that the proper settings are selected. Watchdog should be on with close / open bi option enabled.

nejakejnick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I tried to setup it as a service, but the problem is that I record to NAS and I was so far unable to setup a network access for the SERVICE user.

I have created a startup task:
net use Z: \\192.168.2.60\kamery /user:BlueIris password​
But I am getting:
error 53 network path not found
But yet it works when I execute it manually

nejakejnick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks! I didn't know I can change the user. That was so easy.