Any competitors to the 5231R but with WIFI? Must have WIFI

dastrix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi All,

I need something with wifi im afraid, this is not for me personally but Ive got a friend who has an apartment that doesnt lean to hard wiring. Not ideal but ive no real choice

Any anyone suggest something good for low light, ideally PTZ.

This is all I can find

2MP 4x WiFi PTZ – Dahua North America

Thanks!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I need something with wifi im afraid, this is not for me personally but Ive got a friend who has an apartment that doesnt lean to hard wiring. Not ideal but ive no real choice
Your friend has a dilemma...

Any decent cam will need power so if running a 1/8" 2-conductor zipcord for power to the "wireless" cam from it's external wall-wart why not run 1/4" CAT-5e to the cam for power AND data, avoiding the issues wireless usually has?

If the friend still cannot allow that, how do they intend to provide power to the cam?

EDIT: is this an OUTDOOR cam?

dastrix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
HI, its indoors and where she wants the camera already has power.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
any camera can be made wifi with a cheap wireless birdge or powerline adapter

dastrix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
fenderman, so if I use EoP bridges that would work just fine with a 5231? It would mean I need a powerline adapter AND POE injector or if I have a POE Switch and plug it straight into a powerline adapter, will the POE be transmitted across the powerline adapter OK?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Powerline network adapter suppies only data, not voltage.
Your connections would look like this:
PowerlineEthernet <=> Cat6 Cable <=> network/data input of POE Injector and then output of POE Injector <=> Cat6 Cable <=> Camera.

With a POE switch instead, it would look like this:
PowerlineEthernet <=> Cat6 Cable <=> POE Switch port and then a different POE Switch port <=> Cat6 Cable <=> Camera

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Go with a 4 MP. I have one of these and it is great.

HIKVISION CUBE DS-2CD2442FWD-IW

If you need 4 cameras running wifi, set up a completely separate wifi network on a different 2.4 GHZ channel. Two WIFI networks one for the cameras and one your laptop, phone, roku.

You may have wifi problem in an apartment building do to interference.

dastrix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, ive got some older Netgear AV500 units Ill give them a try with some PoE injectors.

dastrix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So... I could just have

Switch ----> Netgear PowerLine Adapter <----> Netgear Powerline Adapter <---> 12V PoE Injector <---> Dahua 5231R

This would work, right?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
This also could simply the connections: Powerline with PoE:
https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Powerline-Supports-TPL-331EP-TPL-331EP2K/dp/B0796ZJPJ7

However, the wiring in an apartment building may make it so the Powerline connection isn't as strong, or private.
This is probably the best approach if it needs to be clean (few devices and cords). It would be awesome if you could get a wall wart PoE injector with wifi built-in though. All my personal experience with powerline networking is that the devices will eventually disconnect and need power cycled or completely re-paired. I'm done with that nightmare.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

dastrix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Unforuantely that device is not available in Australia from my searching.

lifeatredline

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm also adding to a system at an acquaintances house and they are insistent on wifi. They have a 4 channel nvr and 4 wifi cams now. I ordered two wansview wifi 1080p outdoor cameras, so we'll see how those perform (they are ethernet capable if I eventually talk them into wired).

On another note, someone mentioned converting ethernet cams to wireless. I have some tp-link nano routers that do five modes and they are very capable pocket machines, they have no external antenna but have impressive range for their size.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
On another note, someone mentioned converting ethernet cams to wireless. I have some tp-link nano routers that do five modes and they are very capable pocket machines, they have no external antenna but have impressive range for their size.
I also have used those, about 5 or 6 in as many years years....converted 2 old xBox360's to wireless, made a Lexmark laser printer wireless, installed on new Dell laptop to pick up a church's weak Wi-Fi, put one in cab of my truck as an AP, networked it to an old iPhone with an IP cam app over my trailer hitch (mounted on tailgate with suction cup gooseneck), viewed it in cab with iPad....all wireless. Great little device.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
HI, its indoors and where she wants the camera already has power.
I have installed 4 of these, the 720p Amcrest model IPM-721 for $50 (+ $15 for white). All have operated flawlessly for over 3 years now.

The bigger brother AmcrestIP2M-841is 1080p and $60.

They're both re-branded Dahuas and offer wired/wireless, 2 way audio, SD card, P/T and digital zoom, ONVIF & Blue Iris compatible. Available in white, black and silver (+ $15 for silver).

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.