Any HIKVision IP Cameras working standalone without DVR/NVR

AIS

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all,
I wanted to buy HIKVision Fisheye IP camera but came to know it works through NVR only. While I want to use it standalone. Anyone knows if it is all HIKVision IP cameras or there are some models available which can work standalone without DVR/NVR? Thanks in advance.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
but came to know it works through NVR only.
Where did you read that?
While I want to use it standalone.
What do you actually want to do with it?
Just view the image, or record it etc?

Although I've not tried a fisheye camera I have not seen any Hikvision cameras that don't work OK via IE or one of the several Hikvision apps for their cameras.

AIS

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I want to monitor it on my phone through 3rd party application Tinycam, which can configure IP cameras through different protocols. And recording either on SD card or network drive. I read it on ebay, wanted to buy but it was mentioned it works only with NVR. Though I have doubt its true but wanted to confirm before buying.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome AIS,

Check out the thread here on the Annke Hikvision Cube 1080p camera... for $50 and after updating the firmware you can get what you are looking for.

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello all,
I wanted to buy HIKVision Fisheye IP camera but came to know it works through NVR only. While I want to use it standalone. Anyone knows if it is all HIKVision IP cameras or there are some models available which can work standalone without DVR/NVR? Thanks in advance.
While I’ve never personally worked with the fisheyes due to the cost and lack of need, I see no reason why they would not work standalone. All modern Hikvision products are ONVIF compliant which by default would mean an NVR would not be required. If you just wanted to pull a stream from camera to PC, ONVIF plays some part in making sure this is possible.

To my knowledge, Hikvision fisheyes work by pulling streams from multiple image sensors and stitching them together in firmware. As such, the camera outputs numerous streams and substreams: 1 main/sub stream per image sensor, and a stitched stream of all combined image sensors.

Whatever you plan to connect this to should theoretically be able to pull a standard RTSP stream from that stitched stream which would yield you the raw fisheye stream and from that point you can do whatever you want with it. VLC is an excellent program to use when trying to load individual RTSP streams. (for testing purposes or otherwise)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I want to monitor it on my phone through 3rd party application Tinycam, which can configure IP cameras through different protocols. And recording either on SD card or network drive. I read it on ebay, wanted to buy but it was mentioned it works only with NVR. Though I have doubt its true but wanted to confirm before buying.
They can sure work as standalone units.

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Any camera with a microSD slot and network connection is fully capable operating standalone. This is indicated by “F” in the Hikvision model number which represents flash storage.

This most definitely should work. Those cube cameras are a great option since they’re self contained. Hikvision dome cameras are also self contained should you need a more durable camera.

My guess would be they meant to say it only works with Hikvision NVRs, which is technically false although the easiest to setup. Either way, it’s not required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AIS

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you all for your feedback. You are right, it was just misleading description by seller. Just to share my experience, instead of fisheye, I ordered HIK cube camera to test as I found an extra sensor in it which probably gives more accurate results of movement sensing. There are 3 models available, 3MP, 4MP and 5MP. I ordered older 3MP model because of its higher rating of operating temperature. Lets see how it works :)