Any one use Free (unlicensed) Windows 10 w/ Blue Iris?

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Microsoft's business model for Windows has changed a lot since Win7 days. Now you can use Windows 10 for free. Just download it, install it, and not enter any license key. There's some limitations that seem to be mostly around cosmetics (but very annoying).

I don't know if things like Quick Sync is disabled in the unlicensed version of Windows 10. Just wondering if anyone's tried it?

If it works, it saves everyone like $50 for a copy of Windows 10 just to run Blue Iris. I think there might be a lot of Linux Intel boxes laying around that can be converted to run BI.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Microsoft's business model for Windows has changed a lot since Win7 days. Now you can use Windows 10 for free. Just download it, install it, and not enter any license key. There's some limitations that seem to be mostly around cosmetics (but very annoying).

I don't know if things like Quick Sync is disabled in the unlicensed version of Windows 10. Just wondering if anyone's tried it?

If it works, it saves everyone like $50 for a copy of Windows 10 just to run Blue Iris. I think there might be a lot of Linux Intel boxes laying around that can be converted to run BI.
This is theft.

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is theft.
Not really. More like using demo software. Lots of apps in the app store on Android are free, but with limited functionality. My question is, does the demo mode work for Blue Iris.

Microsoft seems like a pretty smart company, probably smarter than you and I. They're not giving me a loop hole. It's a business decision to provide Windows 10 this way.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not really. More like using demo software. Lots of apps in the app store on Android are free, but with limited functionality. My question is, does the demo mode work for Blue Iris.

Microsoft seems like a pretty smart company, probably smarter than you and I. They're not giving me a loop hole. It's a business decision to provide Windows 10 this way.
Its not demo mode or it would say demo mode. It tells you to register.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you talking about running a non activated version of Windows? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a demo version of Windows unless you are talking about an evaluation version ?

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't know.... all of my Windows are activated (legal)

Ability to download and install may be "free" (semantics), but ongoing use is a violation of licensing; i.e. theft.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Practically everything works without Windows activation (including hardware acceleration in Blue Iris).

There is much disagreement about whether you are allowed to use Windows 10 unactivated or not. However the license terms explicitly say that you are not authorized to do so. In fact I do not even see a provision in the terms allowing you to set up a user account, open the system control panel, and type in the product key. Apparently, activating Windows after installation would be unauthorized use of the software. Yet it is clearly something Microsoft intends for you to do.

Anyway, I copied this directly from the license terms within Win10's System control panel:

Microsoft Software License Terms - Windows 10 said:
5. Authorized Software and Activation. You are authorized to use this software only if you are properly licensed and the software has been properly activated with a genuine product key or by other authorized method. When you connect to the Internet while using the software, the software will automatically contact Microsoft or its affiliate to conduct activation to associate it with a certain device. You can also activate the software manually by Internet or telephone. In either case, transmission of certain information will occur, and Internet, telephone and SMS service charges may apply. During activation (or reactivation that may be triggered by changes to your device’s components), the software may determine that the installed instance of the software is counterfeit, improperly licensed or includes unauthorized changes. If activation fails, the software will attempt to repair itself by replacing any tampered Microsoft software with genuine Microsoft software. You may also receive reminders to obtain a proper license for the software. Successful activation does not confirm that the software is genuine or properly licensed. You may not bypass or circumvent activation. To help determine if your software is genuine and whether you are properly licensed, see (aka.ms/genuine). Certain updates, support, and other services might only be offered to users of genuine Microsoft software.
(Full terms are also here on the microsoft website)

Podagrower

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Probably another good reason to look for a used Optiplex. Use Dell's image recovery to download the original OS (not always available for old, old machines) and then upgrade to W10.

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
An old Win7, or Win8 key will still work to activate Win10 or you can get a key off of eBay for $4...

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Pointless Thread with zero ROI....

Only thing this is good for is faning the flames. You literally posted about questionable ethical and legal usage of software and then say I don't know if it works but it will save you money....

Nice to have you as part of the forum, see you'll be a postive contributor.....

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ve yet to encounter a PC or laptop which hasn’t activated Windows 10 so am not too sure under what circumstances it won’t activate?

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

To answer your question, Yes. Running BI in Unactivated Windows works fine. I'll let the legality of all be debated by others and the entire internet. (google search it's legality and you'll likely find just as many "legit responses" saying yes as they say no.)

Be aware though that there's a lot of talk about how Unactivated Windows itself (independent of BI) will behave over time. Random reboots, quirks, etc have all been reported.

Midway

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To answer your question, Yes. Running BI in Unactivated Windows works fine. I'll let the legality of all be debated by others and the entire internet. (google search it's legality and you'll likely find just as many "legit responses" saying yes as they say no.)

Be aware though that there's a lot of talk about how Unactivated Windows itself (independent of BI) will behave over time. Random reboots, quirks, etc have all been reported.
All you need to do is read Microsoft License agreement. Doing an Internet Search and finding anonymous claims of legally using illegal, unlicensed software would only be valid if it was confirmed to be an official verified Microsoft addendum of how the Licensing works. I'll look forward to that link.

Is the OP included in the "legit responses"? (google search it's legality and you'll likely find just as many "legit responses" saying yes as they say no.)

Just do the right thing.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
come on..you can buy a license from ebay for less than 10 bucks.
Those are fraudulent licenses. If you are going to commit theft, there is no point in feeding the ebay scammers.

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
All you need to do is read Microsoft License agreement. Doing an Internet Search and finding anonymous claims of legally using illegal, unlicensed software would only be valid if it was confirmed to be an official verified Microsoft addendum of how the Licensing works. I'll look forward to that link.

Is the OP included in the "legit responses"? (google search it's legality and you'll likely find just as many "legit responses" saying yes as they say no.)

Just do the right thing.
Isn't that the question though? What "IS" the right thing? I don't know for sure. I'm not an expert. I'm going to speculate that there are no MSFT employees here that can share an official statement on the matter as well. Search online and you'll find a lot of people claiming that their response is the "right thing".

My overall point is that there's a lot of debate on it online. Many claiming that they know the right thing and it all can differ.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
What operating system are you coming from? See if you can upgrade your existing Windows 7 license. Are you a systems builder? Do you have fresh system built?
Currently, this is the most legit way to download Windows 10 for free (refer to link below)

Avoid eBay like a plague. You won't know how licenses on eBay were acquired until Satya Nadella calls you.

Otherwise, if you're looking for some other way to obtain one, this forum doesn't entertain piracy.

Last edited:

Midway

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Isn't that the question though? What "IS" the right thing? I don't know for sure. I'm not an expert. I'm going to speculate that there are no MSFT employees here that can share an official statement on the matter as well. Search online and you'll find a lot of people claiming that their response is the "right thing".

My overall point is that there's a lot of debate on it online. Many claiming that they know the right thing and it all can differ.
Did you read the License agreement?

Just one of many lines, curious how this is debated, certainly not by Microsoft.

5. Authorized Software and Activation. You are authorized to use this software only if you are properly licensed and the software has been properly activated with a genuine product key or by other authorized method.

A forum dedicated to people deploying security systems to help prevent theft "debating" how to get away with theft?

The License is your answer, there is no question or debate.