Any stand-alone ONVIF NVR with people, vehicle and animal AI detection?

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I currently use Apple AI for all my AI detection needs—people, vehicles, and animals—and it works great for my personal setup.

A friend of mine is looking for a similar AI detection feature. Instead of offering ongoing support myself, I’d like to recommend an NVR that has these AI detection capabilities built-in. The NVR should be able to connect with their ONVIF cameras and handle the detection automatically. It’s also important that it has mobile app support (iOS) with detection notifications.

Are there any stand-alone NVRs that offer all three AI detection types along with mobile app support?

Thanks

Reaction score
People and cars - yes... animals not so much..

Dahua have NVR's which can do locally SMD or IVS detections on ONVIF cameras..
5xxx-EI line allows to do SMD on 8 cams or IVS on 4 cams...
5xxx-XI or 6xx-XI (not cheap!) line allows to do SMD on 32 cams and IVS on 24/32 cams..

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
People and cars - yes... animals not so much..

Dahua have NVR's which can do locally SMD or IVS detections on ONVIF cameras..
5xxx-EI line allows to do SMD on 8 cams or IVS on 4 cams...
5xxx-XI or 6xx-XI (not cheap!) line allows to do SMD on 32 cams and IVS on 24/32 cams..
They need animal detection too. They got coyotes, bears, and other sort of wild animals they want to be alert about.

Apple AI are real good with animal detection but I am avoiding of having to set it up for other by having to find a PC and installing software etc etc. I don't like being the "geek on the block" for everyone to use.

Reaction score
At this moment in Dahua world, only 5xxx-S3 series (like famous 5442-S3) and 7xxx-X cams have animal support...
Lots of rave reviews here in forum (this is a new feature, added in latest firmware upgrade)..

In HikVision world there is no support for animal AI detection at all.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Wait ... Series 5 camera have animal support?????

We use all Dahua products for years and my friend just recently purchased the IPC-T54IR-ZE S3 cameras. I set it up last night and connected it to his NVR also updated the firmware on the IPC-T54IR-ZE S3 however I only see either people or vehicle in IPC-T54IR-ZE S3 setting. No animal.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
PS. What You means by Apple AI?
HomeKit?

This is correct.

All my Dahua cameras are connected to AppleTV Hub using Scrypted running on a minipc and Apple Cloud does the AI detection and it send banner alert to all of my Apple devices via Homekit setup.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
At this moment in Dahua world, only 5xxx-S3 series (like famous 5442-S3) and 7xxx-X cams have animal support...
Lots of rave reviews here in forum (this is a new feature, added in latest firmware upgrade)..

In HikVision world there is no support for animal AI detection at all.
What version series 5 camera firmware have animal AI support?

Reaction score
Wait ... Series 5 camera have animal support?????

We use all Dahua products for years and my friend just recently purchased the IPC-T54IR-ZE S3 cameras. I set it up last night and connected it to his NVR also updated the firmware on the IPC-T54IR-ZE S3 however I only see either people or vehicle in IPC-T54IR-ZE S3 setting. No animal.
Update firmware to latest one (Download Firmwares).

You must login to camera web service and in IVS settings You will have third option with animal.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Update firmware to latest one (Download Firmwares).

You must login to camera web service and in IVS settings You will have third option with animal.
I did that last night. When I download the file and extract it. It gave us two bin where Andy named one of the file to update this first and the other filename to update this second etc. We updated the first bin and then updated the second bin. And I don't see an animal option in the camera setting. Just only the people and vehicle option is all I saw.

Maybe I should do the factory reset ... or unless there another firmware that I need to grab too?

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
You must upload both bin files.
firmware.bin as second one, this file contains AI models...
I did upload the 1st bin then the 2nd bin

Guess something went wrong or I need to do a factory reset

Reaction score
Guess something went wrong or I need to do a factory reset
Probably...

Here You have a long thread about animal detection:

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Probably...

Here You have a long thread about animal detection:

Thanks! I'll go over there and read it up.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you help them, you will be their technical maintenance and support for them lol.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
If you help them, you will be their technical maintenance and support for them lol.
If I set up pc NVR or Blue Iris or something like that .. yeah I will wound up being their back pocket geek where every time they have an issue they will start texting me so no I don't want that LOL LOL ...

With Dahua cameras and NVR, I just active it and update firmware for them and show them where they can get NVR and DMSS manual on setting it up start using it by reading it and sometime I point out a couple of YouTube video for them to watch and learn. If any hardware breaks then it a pretty much direct swap replacement. Just the GUI have a new facelift but the setting purposes still remain the same as the old GUI.