Any stand-alone ONVIF NVR with people, vehicle and animal AI detection?

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
You should always perform a factory reset after upgrading firmware.
I normally do but I guess I was tired last night and they wanted to install the cameras on their house today so they ask me to remote access it to active it and test it while it's still on their desk before they go mount it up. I already texted them not to install it yet until I go back in and factory reset it also see if that animal setting shows up after a reset. I am curious myself LOL

Also, I am curious what motion triggers the SMD (I am guessing it AI trigger right? Smart Motion Detection? what it's called?) tripwire? or just any motion in within the view of camera that get analyzed by AI before notify the owners if it a person, vehicle or an animal?

Thanks

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
SMD=Smart Motion Detection.
It does NOT work very well. It will pickup all sorts of false positives.

Only use the IVS settings, keep Motion and SMD OFF.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
SMD=Smart Motion Detection.
It does NOT work very well. It will pickup all sorts of false positives.

Only use the IVS settings, keep Motion and SMD OFF.
So AI can use the IVS to trigger it then? Like a simple appear IVS setup? I forgot what it was called but looked it up and now editing this post ... It called "intrusion"

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So AI can use the IVS to trigger it then? Like a simple appear IVS setup? I forgot what it was called but looked it up and now editing this post ... It called "intrusion"
From our collective experiences, the AI in the cameras is in the IVS rules, not SMD.

As stated stay away from SMD unless you like false triggers.

It is best for each field of view to try tripwire and intrusion to see which works better. Each field of view is different and thus a tripwire may work better than intrusion in some instances.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, IVS uses AI built into the camera.
From our collective experiences, the AI in the cameras is in the IVS rules, not SMD.

As stated stay away from SMD unless you like false triggers.

It is best for each field of view to try tripwire and intrusion to see which works better. Each field of view is different and thus a tripwire may work better than intrusion in some instances.

Thank you. I'll experiment IVS to see which is giving best result.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If I set up pc NVR or Blue Iris or something like that .. yeah I will wound up being their back pocket geek where every time they have an issue they will start texting me so no I don't want that LOL LOL ...

With Dahua cameras and NVR, I just active it and update firmware for them and show them where they can get NVR and DMSS manual on setting it up start using it by reading it and sometime I point out a couple of YouTube video for them to watch and learn. If any hardware breaks then it a pretty much direct swap replacement. Just the GUI have a new facelift but the setting purposes still remain the same as the old GUI.
You say that now, as I did.

Meanwhile I get weekly calls from my neighbor where I sent him down the NVR route LOL.

He gets only one camera on the screen and can't figure out how to get them back.

It only shows 4 cameras on the screen instead of 16.

How do I use the two way talk?

All things I have shown them....

So I suspect they will call you when the NVR isn't working right LOL

I know and love BI and would much rather be troubleshooting that than the NVR lol.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
You say that now, as I did.

Meanwhile I get weekly calls from my neighbor where I sent him down the NVR route LOL.

He gets only one camera on the screen and can't figure out how to get them back.

It only shows 4 cameras on the screen instead of 16.

How do I use the two way talk?

All things I have shown them....

So I suspect they will call you when the NVR isn't working right LOL

I know and love BI and would much rather be troubleshooting that than the NVR lol.

I have set them up with Dahua NVR and 8 Dahua starlight cameras plus a PTZ about 7 years ago and it's still running today. They rarely asked me to help them out for the last 7 year other than to explain how to transfer stuff from one iPhone to another or reconnect the DMSS back up on new iPhone whenever they replace it.

They just wanted to reduce fault notification but still monitor for wild animals in their backyard outside of fence area because they had wild animals go after their dogs before and luckily the dogs won the battle.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have set them up with Dahua NVR and 8 Dahua starlight cameras plus a PTZ about 7 years ago and it's still running today. They rarely asked me to help them out for the last 7 year other than to explain how to transfer stuff from one iPhone to another or reconnect the DMSS back up on new iPhone whenever they replace it.

They just wanted to reduce fault notification but still monitor for wild animals in their backyard outside of fence area because they had wild animals go after their dogs before and luckily the dogs won the battle.
Consider yourself lucky LOL.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Update firmware to latest one (Download Firmwares).

You must login to camera web service and in IVS settings You will have third option with animal.
I don't see a IVS setting after updating the firmware and yes I did factory reset the camera ... I do see SMD but only have people and vehicle no animal

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you in the camera GUI?

Did you turn on Smart Plan and select IVS?

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you in the camera GUI?

Did you turn on Smart Plan and select IVS?
Also I am using Chrome ... on the bottom it say to download hte plugin and install .. do I need to do that part?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also I am using Chrome ... on the bottom it say to download hte plugin and install .. do I need to do that part?
That plug-in works for Internet Explorer and IE is the browser to use to ensure full functionality and visibility of features. The plug-in will not work for Chrome.

Yeah we know, but Internet Explorer is still available and native to Win10 and Win11.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
That plug-in works for Internet Explorer and IE is browser to use to ensure full functionality and visibility of features. The plug-in will not work for Chrome.

Yeah we know, but Internet Explorer is still available and native to Win10 and Win11.

What I thought .. thank you

Reinstalling firmware then doing another hard reset ..

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What happens if you hit the default option?

Is AcuPick turned on in the NVR? Maybe it is forcing it on in the camera?

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
What happens if you hit the default option?

Is AcuPick turned on in the NVR? Maybe it is forcing it on in the camera?
The NVR is the older 52xxxxx. would that force it turn on?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No it shouldn't as that shouldn't have AcuPick capabilities.

OK try this.

Turn off Acupick and then restart the camera and then see if Acupick stays off and then lets you turn on IVS.