Anybody know what this means?

BadBlake

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I found these lines in my BI log today. What does HW VA not compatible mean?

1 14.03.2018 16:47:39 PTZ_SW HW VA not compatible: -1
1 14.03.2018 16:47:40 Inngang HW VA not compatible: -1
1 14.03.2018 16:47:40 Vei HW VA not compatible: -1
1 20.03.2018 17:37:20 Garasje HW VA not compatible: -2352874
1 20.03.2018 14:54:28 Vei HW VA not compatible: -466162818
1 20.03.2018 14:55:40 HDBW4421R HW VA not compatible: -466162818

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I found these lines in my BI log today. What does HW VA not compatible mean?
"HW VA" means 'Hardware Video Acceleration'. Most likely one or more cams is not compatible with Intel Quick Sync which is enabled in BI or BI is set to use it on each cam and your PC does not support Quick Sync.

On March 8, 2016 this error was discussed ==>> here.

@bp2008 advised:
"Hardware Video Acceleration is part of Blue Iris, and the error is shown in Blue Iris' error log, so of course it is a Blue Iris error. If the camera has a slightly incompatible h264 encoder, it could be what causes the error. I don't have any of these errors in my system.

If you do not have Intel hardware accelerated decoding enabled, then my guess is wrong. But if you do have it enabled, you could try disabling it for the cameras associated with this error and see if the error no longer comes up. Either that or just ask Blue Iris support. Surely he would know the meaning of each of these errors."

This came up also back on April 22, 2017 ==>> here.

@janbo said "...This means that the camera's video stream is not compatible with the Intel decoding on your CPU. You can disable this on the camera properties Video tab on a per-camera basis or altogether on Options/Cameras."

BadBlake

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't think that is the problem here. I've had Hardware acceleration enabled for over a week now, but these messages showed up this afternoon.
Only thing I¨ve been tinkering with today is changing the cam names.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Then try turning the Intel HA off, clear the message log, restart Blue Iris and wait for a time.

If the log stays clear of those "HW VA" entries for, say 24 hours, then try turning it back on, restart BI, and check the log after a time.
If they don't show up after a week I'd say that (turning Intel HA off/on again & restarting BI) took care of it.

If they show up sooner than a week, turn it back OFF, clear the log and restart BI and wait MORE than a week. If they don't show up after a week I'd say there's a compatibility issue with Intel HA.

H264_on-off.jpg

cferd5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I read yesterday that H.265 HWA may have been working so I tried changing one camera to H.265 just to test it and got that same "HW VA not compatible:". BI also turns the HW decode option for that camera to NO automatically. After that, the camera continues to work fine with H.265, but without hardware acceleration.

Last edited by a moderator:

BadBlake

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Then try turning the Intel HA off, clear the message log, restart Blue Iris and wait for a time.

If the log stays clear of those "HW VA" entries for, say 24 hours, then try turning it back on, restart BI, and check the log after a time.
If they don't show up after a week I'd say that (turning Intel HA off/on again & restarting BI) took care of it.

If they show up sooner than a week, turn it back OFF, clear the log and restart BI and wait MORE than a week. If they don't show up after a week I'd say there's a compatibility issue with Intel HA.

View attachment 27715
I left the Hardware acceleration option on and changed the cam names back to what they were originally, and restarted BI last night. I let the compact/repair option run default at 2:00 AM. Today, the HW VA was not mentioned in the log. Everything seems ok.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I left the Hardware acceleration option on and changed the cam names back to what they were originally, and restarted BI last night. I let the compact/repair option run default at 2:00 AM. Today, the HW VA was not mentioned in the log. Everything seems ok.
Great..we'll see how it goes, I guess. Hard to imagine that cam name changes could be the cause, but stranger things have happened in the world of software.