Anyone have a BlackFriday recommendation for DashCams?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Looking for Front/Rear system for around $150 or less.

Anyone have a recommendation for a decent system. Saw the one below but really don't know how this compares to something that you'd recommend.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Get a viofo
This ^

I’ve been through the try a random brand from Amazon and most if not all are just crap with little to no support.

So go with a decent brand like Viofo or Vantrue or Apeman or even Blackvue though this will come at a premium price.

Also if you do a lot of night time driving then don’t get hung up on 4k as most 4k dash cams are crap at night. Also for night time you might also consider getting a CPL filter else you might end up with lots of glare from lights.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks, I didn't think about sun visor. I may have only used the sun visor maybe 5 times in 20 years...maybe because I'm on the edge of too tall for the vehicles I drive.

I see "super capacitor" advertised and I assume that's to remedy the hot battery issue. I live in Florida so that could be useful.

I don't drive much at night but of course when I do I want decent results if I do. The 4K thing is something to evaluate.

I bought the two above to try out but would be surprised if either one is "the right one". Sometimes you just have to try them in person to find out what you like or don't. I have to admit, I take full advantage of the Amazon return policy. I'll probably continue that until they kick me out.

As y'all know, I asked the question above kind of late and had not yet had the opportunity to go through this section of IPCT yet. Didn't know if it had been hashed out yet a short list of the best models within this price range.

Reaction score
I just purchased one of these only because I have owned previous Nexars and have been super happy with them.
Nexar One Dash Cam with $100 off (still comes to $250+ with the 2nd cabin camera) but still....

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
And here’s a similar deal for the Viofo A229 ($259- $60 off = $199)

If anyone has experience with both I’d be interested in opinions if the A229 is worth the extra $ for the upgraded rear camera (2k vs 1080P, 160 vs 140 degree view), and the “super slim coaxial cable” (which may facilitate installation), and larger display (2.4” vs 2”), and faster Wifi (5 vs 2.4 GHz). This would be my first dash cam.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
And here’s a similar deal for the Viofo A229 ($259- $60 off = $199)

If anyone has experience with both I’d be interested in opinions if the A229 is worth the extra $ for the upgraded rear camera (2k vs 1080P, 160 vs 140 degree view), and the “super slim coaxial cable” (which may facilitate installation), and larger display (2.4” vs 2”), and faster Wifi (5 vs 2.4 GHz). This would be my first dash cam.
I have the a229. Had it for about a month now. No complaints. Nothing really to compare it as the last cam I had was back in 2018, which was an older Viofo. I like the voice indicator that recording has begun. I have the anti-glare lens and the hk4 kit hardwire kit. I have it set to shut off the cam when the battery reaches 12.2v. This allows overnight parking recording (provided I have driven enough during the day to recharge the car battery). My car does complain that an external device is draining the battery, however, it starts fine. It did not do this when set to 12.4 though. I need the extra juice when I occasionally overnight park in areas with lots of traffic keeping the camera recording. I know there are external batteries available, but I am not going that far.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you spring for the Viofo SD card?

It appears there’s a 100% premium for this A2 card vs A1 cards like this one

I haven’t done any research, perhaps this is normal.
I am using that exact samsung pro card you linked to (the "new" version). The "old" one is a recommended by Viofo card so I figured I would try the "new" one, its worked fine - I also use them in cameras. 29.99 is a good price. I paid 39. What SD card is recommanded for VIOFO dashcams?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My dashcam is powered via a separate 30Wh battery. I had the rear-view mount cam powered via the hardware kit to the car battery, and two 24F car batteries died over the years, still under warranty: the AAA guy said something was draining the car battery when I didn't drive it for weeks, and the dashcam with parking/bump sensor must have been it.

The thing I liked about it was that it had a motion-detect recording mode, so it can record anything that moves in front of it even when the car is parked and engine off, if activated.
My current cam needs to be hardwired to do that. I wish it would operate in that mode using/off my 30Wh battery.
Many newer cars - particularly those with the useless and dangerous start stop technology - use AGM batteries that last longer with these drain conditions.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
What's the deal with these Amazon ....... "deals" ?
I always use camelcamelcamel.com to determine if an Amazon price is good or not - many items change prices almost daily. It has a price history that allows you to easily see if the current price is higher or lower than normal and how often the item might drop to a lower price. It's very handy IMHO.

The Viofo T130 at $169 has been popping up frequently. But it has no screen; gotta use your phone.
I have the older Viofo 129 (non Pro) 2 channel dashcam and have been very happy with it. I had not seen the T130, but I like the idea of three channels. Personally I never use the screen on the dashcam other than to turn on wifi to use my phone (which I do so rarely - I think I've needed to check/pull footage twice in the almost three years I've had the dashcam). Plus I would like the more streamline look of the unit. Personally I cannot see the dashcam because from the driver's perspective it is "hidden" behind the rearview mirror, but my passengers can see it.

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I always use camelcamelcamel.com to determine if an Amazon price is good or not - many items change prices almost daily. It has a price history that allows you to easily see if the current price is higher or lower than normal and how often the item might drop to a lower price. It's very handy IMHO.
Keepa is similar and also good.
Keepa.com - Amazon Price Tracker!

Another benefit to these is that you can set up watches for items at some target price and they'll alert you if the price drops to your target. I do that with lots of things like this that I want but I'm not in any hurry to buy or stuff that I pick up regularly when it deep drops like coffee, etc.

There are some real BF deals on certain products but they tend to go quick and most 'deals' aren't all that special. I've usually been able to find the same or a better deal at other times of the year for most things.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Upcoming Dashcams from our favorite YouTuber ;)

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Upcoming Dashcams from our favorite YouTuber ;)
No surprise that he started with the Ring option! :cool:

I have a couple of random thoughts.... 1) I think it is great that manufacturers are beginning to offer OBI connections to power the system. It will make installation much easier. 2) While I personally don't need to use a monthly subscription/cellular service (because I am driving the car I'm monitoring), I can see where this might be helpful if you want to monitor a vehicle that is being driven by someone else (teens, employees, etc) or if you have to park your car in a "less than desirable" location and want instant alerts about potential issues.

Last edited:

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
What's to stop Amazon from harvesting OBD-II data, if they connect to it?
I haven't seen any of the new systems, but hopefully they are still only using three wires. OBD pin 16 is 12v full time power, pin 4 is chassis ground, and while there is no dedicated ignition power pin, I know some manufacturers use pin 1 for that. If they have more than that, or they are going to other pins that that, then there might be reason to be concerned.