Anyone have hands on experience with the 4k 1" sensor Sony SNC-VM772R IP Cam?

Type2

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am curious if anyone has used this camera or a camera with this sensor. From the specs I would assume low light performance would be in a class its own especially with a 1" sensor. Would be nice if this sensor made its way to Hik or Dahua.

I am looking at 4k low light and I don't see anything out there that beats the 2mp Starlight's except maybe this.

Amazon sells the dome version for $1,440 - unfortunately no turret:
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-SNC-VM772R-Outdoor-Security-Camera/dp/B01350CKNQ

BH Photo sells it for 2x the price of Amazon
SonySNC-VM772R 20MP Outdoor Network Mini Dome Camera with Night Vision

Sony sensor information:
IMX183CLK-J/CQJ-J | Sony Semiconductor Solutions

Wikipedia sensor information:
Exmor - Wikipedia

EDIT: I found a review of this camera. Looks like the Samsung PNO-9080R with its 1/1.7" 12.4M CMOS sensor has the best overall night vision even vs the Sony 1" sensor. Unforturnately no turret version of the Samsung as well.
4K IP Camera Review and Comparison - Kintronics

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Type2

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the links. I looked at Amazon, AliExpress and B&H and they are all unavailable.

This actually opens up my interest into other 4/3" sensor cameras. I wonder if these lenses, boxes, and sensors are interchangeable (i.e. build one yourself).

About to go down another search-with-30-open-tabs rabbit hole.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the links. I looked at Amazon, AliExpress and B&H and they are all unavailable.

This actually opens up my interest into other 4/3" sensor cameras. I wonder if these lenses, boxes, and sensors are interchangeable (i.e. build one yourself).

About to go down another search-with-30-open-tabs rabbit hole.
Hi @Type2

If you're interested in the Dahua OEM international model you maybe able to contact Andy ( @EMPIRETECANDY ) and see if he has access to it ( possible special order ). iirc he was able to get it to @shokunin who did the review.

note - iirc the camera was $700-800+ w/o the lens and any box case... ( don't quote me on that, as my memory on the price is very fuzzy )

Type2

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well shoot - after researching I see that it is not IP - it's HD-CVI which isn't something I'm really interested in. What a bummer. I wonder if the government ban on certain Chinese cameras is affecting availablility of the Dahua 8mp starlight.

I am going to look more at the Samsung 1/1.7" 12.4M CMOS sensor (Samsung PNO-9080R) and see if there is a turret design out there.

Back to my search.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well shoot - after researching I see that it is not IP - it's HD-CVI which isn't something I'm really interested in. What a bummer. I wonder if the government ban on certain Chinese cameras is affecting availablility of the Dahua 8mp starlight.

I am going to look more at the Samsung 1/1.7" 12.4M CMOS sensor (Samsung PNO-9080R) and see if there is a turret design out there.

Back to my search.
There is no ban on any camera unless you are a government facility.

Type2

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. The Dahua HFW1831E would just about get me there in terms of low light and for the price I'd pick one up 6 or so but I really have my heart set on turret. I had two 4k domes outside (small sensors, sh***y low light performance) and it was nothing but glare and bugs. Not making compromises anymore.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. The Dahua HFW1831E would just about get me there in terms of low light and for the price I'd pick one up 6 or so but I really have my heart set on turret. I had two 4k domes outside (small sensors, sh***y low light performance) and it was nothing but glare and bugs. Not making compromises anymore.
I would spend a bit more in the 2831, which will add SD card and varifocal. The bullets will be significantly better than the domes..

Type2

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good point. I think the varifocal would be worth the difference in price. I suppose a decent complement to the HDW5231. But unfortunately I want both 4k and exceptional low light and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of choices out there. Currently researching the Samsung/Hanwha Techwin PNO-9080R 4K Bullet Camera. For $890 I would need it to be a significant improvement over the HDW5231
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Hanwha-Techwin-PNO-9080R-Bullet/dp/B01M2VMFBZ

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would spend a bit more in the 2831, which will add SD card and varifocal. The bullets will be significantly better than the domes..
I'm looking at the HFW1831E and 2831. I suggest going with fender suggestions as he allowed me not to get a dome which I would not been happy with. His advice is solid.

I went with the HFW1831E due to the size though. I chose 4mm vs 6mm.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm looking at the HFW1831E and 2831. I suggest going with fender suggestions as he allowed me not to get a dome which I would not been happy with. His advice is solid.

The 2831 is varifocal

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 2831 is varifocal
Yes. But a bit larger. What benefits vs both are there? I might consider the larger model as it is not much more but I feel 4mm would be best for my viewing radius.

My last varifocal I left it at 2.8mm and never changed it. I feel 4mm would be ok.

Last edited:

Type2

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Yeah I think I'll keep looking. I'm not super impressed by the low light performance of the HFW1831E or 2831 versus, say the HDW5231. I'm looking for 4k with superior low light performance to the HDW5231 and neither the 1831 or 2831 deliver.

EDIT: looking at this

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score

Back to my search.
Ummm that IS an IP camera not HDCVI
https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/productDetail/17961

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I have no experience with them, but they are clearly labeled IP cameras and communicate via PoE. I believe the additional analog interface is for convenience during installation etc...

Here's more IP Network Box cameras from Dahua
https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/productDetail/14171
https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/productDetail/32897

Here's the Dahua CVI version
https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/productDetail/17711

Here's an 8MP HiK IP Network box camer also with a Vp-p composite output (75 Ω/CVBS)
https://us.hikvision.com/sites/default/files/ps_ib_ds-2cd7085g0-ap_032519na_0.pdf

The Bosch Dinion 8000 12MP IP Network camera also has an analog output
DINION IP ultra 8000 MP

Type2

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I looked at another thread and there were some pictures of the back of the camera and it looks like the analog BNC connection is the output - I suppose for monitoring without a computer. I am curious if Blue Iris supports the IPC-HF8835F

Compared to those other box cameras the 8835 has a significantly larger sensor.

IPC-HF8835F 8MP Starlight+ Box Network Camera
> 4/3” 8Megapixel progressive scan CMOS

IPC-HF81230E 12MP Box Network Camera
> 1/1.7” 12Megapixel progressive scan STARVIS™ CMOS

Hikvision
DS-2CD7085G0-AP 8 MP Indoor Network Box Camera
> 1/1.8" (8 MP) Progressive Scan CMOS

DINION IP ultra 8000 MP
> 1/2.3‑inch CMOS