Anyone in Austin area that can help?

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
More lens better than higher MP IMHO

but the angle still sucks
yeah, it's the best angle i can get right now, it's worth a shot tho with a better camera, i'm thinking a 60mm over a 35mm just to be safe. thanks for all the replies man! i dig your YT channel also.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
do you know of a cheat sheet to show what the suffix means, like 8A240WA-HNF or 8A240VI-HNI it's not in the cliff notes. trying to pick a PTZ and i can't tell the difference, even in their international catalog it doesnt specify.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
playing with the 2231T and 100 ft from the roadway, angle is way off, exposure 1000 and 2000 yields about the same results. aside from the angle, would a higher MP camera make the image clearer, i know a 35-60mm lens might do the trick, but if this were a 4MP or 8MP camera what would the results look like?View attachment 52505
You really need to Go study the LPR subject section here. You're reinventing the wheel, lots of tips in the LPR section.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thanks again, i want to be able to view my cams when i'm away from home, assuming i can get a push notification when there is motion , intrusion, something crisses a tripwire, etc. the tinycam didnt work outside of wifi, i need something that works on cellular. seems like i need something more than 2.8 for sure or else i'll get reflections everywhere. the fisheye is driving me crazy also. i'm taking notes as i go and once it's over i'll update when i can.
I was talking about using tinycam pro on your phone with Wi-Fi so you can aim the cameras in your trials. You need to pick one task and stick to it until you master it.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i tried gDMSS lite, it's pretty fast, the full version now free takes about 30 seconds to pull up a camera. i dont know about you, but when i hear a noise outside i like to pick up my phone and open an app to see what's outside, the fastest app wins. if it takes 30 seconds to get a live video feed then i'm barking up the wrong tree. for all the ring haters, there's a rapid ring app that will give you a video feed in 4 seconds. if there's an app out there for these dahua cams im all ears. i have many spoons in many soups here. i'll relate this cars, i've had about 27 vehicles and not once have i read the entire owners manual before turning the key and driving :)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i tried gDMSS lite, it's pretty fast, the full version now free takes about 30 seconds to pull up a camera. i dont know about you, but when i hear a noise outside i like to pick up my phone and open an app to see what's outside, the fastest app wins. if it takes 30 seconds to get a live video feed then i'm barking up the wrong tree. for all the ring haters, there's a rapid ring app that will give you a video feed in 4 seconds. if there's an app out there for these dahua cams im all ears. i have many spoons in many soups here. i'll relate this cars, i've had about 27 vehicles and not once have i read the entire owners manual before turning the key and driving :)
I can see a camera feed as fast as I can turn my head. We've got two fire tablets setting on the end tables next to us and all we have to do is look over and see all my cameras. or further away from home it takes about 5 seconds I, get an alert from blue Iris, click the app open up the cam that alerted.

with your network at home properly set up, you can see your cans with tinycam pro anywhere you want to go.

Reaction score
I can see a camera feed as fast as I can turn my head. We've got two fire tablets setting on the end tables next to us and all we have to do is look over and see all my cameras. or further away from home it takes about 5 seconds I, get an alert from blue Iris, click the app open up the cam that alerted.
He is not going to use BI. Not sure if he has purchased a DVR yet or not.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i'm still piecing it all together, looking at buying 6 more cams and an NVR, i want more turrets, good starlights, no light here, looking for a good mini ptz, or black face for balcony, and a large maybe Laser IR for radio tower. i want something that can look almost straight up, andy just posted a PTZ83240-HNF-WA which looks very nice but afraid how much that sucker will be LOL.

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
IMO it seems to me like your wayyyy out of your comfort zone when it comes to IP cams and networking. Your concerned about getting a LPR up and running even before you dial in your first camera for home surveillance. LPRs are probably the hardest thing to dial in and get correct. It took me about a good 3 full days of tinkering to finally get halfway decent captures on my LPR and I was not nearly confused as you seems to be (no offense).

If I were you I'd start off small and worry about purchasing, installing and connecting 1 camera. Once you feel comfortable with your first install work on dialing in the settings to your liking and then maybe attempt a second camera install. Just seems to me that your not well versed in IP cams and your expectations are too high. Just like another user said you might be better off in hiring a professional to install your first cam / nvr and watch how they do it. If not study the WIKI and utilize the search bar in the forums, your be surprised when you find that someone else like you has already asked the same question and recieved an answer.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Edit: sorry to repeat most of what @coney27 said .. I started typing this at work earlier this AM but got tied up before I could hit the post button.

i'll relate this cars, i've had about 27 vehicles and not once have i read the entire owners manual before turning the key and driving :)
Unless you were a brick, you also had over a decade of observing how vehicles functioned before you bought your first one, much less got behind the wheel for the first time. :) I'm hoping your experience with vehicles has been a bit more smooth than your experience to-date with pro-grade IP Cameras, so this is probably not the best analogy to use.

tried gDMSS lite, it's pretty fast, the full version now free takes about 30 seconds to pull up a camera.
The only time I've had the DMSS smartphone app take that long to connect is when it was setup to use P2P to connect to a camera instead of directly connecting to a camera's 192.168.x.x IP address. The P2P solution will allow you to view your cameras when you're not connected to your home WiFi network, but every time you connect it goes through a process where Dahua's servers on the Internet have to broker a connection back to your cameras so it can ride through a firewall without having to setup a VPN (recommended) or port forwarding (risky). Configuring DMSS to connect directly to your cameras' 192.168.x.x IP address should connect almost instantaneously (as @looney2ns noted), but it's not going to work when you're away from your home network unless you setup a VPN.

i have many spoons in many soups here.
Chefs that know the ingredients that they're cooking with (i.e. IP camera fundamentals) and also know their kitchen well (i.e. networking, firewall, etc fundamentals) can pull off cooking many soups at the same time. Folks cooking with ingredients that they haven't used before in a kitchen they're unfamiliar with aren't as likely to pull that off successfully.

There's a lot to learn. The type of camera system you're trying to build is normally designed and installed by folks that have training in this matter and have made professional surveillance their career (or at least their job). Most folks here have learned this technology as they went, doing one camera at a time and saving harder aspects (like LPR) until later in the project. The way you're approaching this is pretty unique.

Last edited:

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
do you know of a cheat sheet to show what the suffix means, like 8A240WA-HNF or 8A240VI-HNI it's not in the cliff notes. trying to pick a PTZ and i can't tell the difference, even in their international catalog it doesnt specify.
still no answer to this? I did the research, can't find the solution. waiting for someone to tell em to go read the wiki only to find it's not in there either lol. one site has a bit on their char, but even their char is wrong and has typos.

@bigredfish what's your take on the 5442tm-as vs the LED FC variant?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
still no answer to this? I did the research, can't find the solution. waiting for someone to tell em to go read the wiki only to find it's not in there either lol. one site has a bit on their char, but even their char is wrong and has typos.
Not many folks here have needs for those types of cameras, so not many folks here with experience to answer that question.

Situations like this (ie nobody knows the answer and it’s not in the wiki) are a great time for you to do a little research and contribute back to the community. What are the main feature differences between those cameras you noticed when you compared spec sheets during your research? Or ask a dealer/reseller and see what they say, then share the info so the Wiki can get updated.

@bigredfish what's your take on the 5442tm-as vs the LED FC variant?
While you’re waiting on his take, I’ll repost what I wrote to you a few weeks back on that topic and bold the part I think is key.

Most of the Dahua "Full Color" models I've seen will still flip to B/W if the light level gets low enough. I have a 5442 "Full Color" turret and it doesn't perform any better in low light than the regular 5442 turret, ... the only difference is that they swapped out the normal IR lights with LED lights. When it gets dark enough at night, those LED lights turn on and really brighten up the area in front of the 5442 Full Color model. Great if you have a porch or something you want a bright white light shining on, but if you're looking a camera that works like a normal security camera at night (i.e. uses IR light to invisibly (to the human eye, anyway) light up the scene) then the 5442 Full Color isn't it.

Last edited: