Anyone in Austin area that can help?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thanks for all the tips, i read about cameras all day, then move the cameras at night and try them out. i played with ipvm some more and it has me in the ball park, but i'm physically moving this varifocal to every spot and zooming in or out depending on what i want to see. now that i know what setting is what mm on the varifocal it gives me a better understanding. i wish i could just buy 8 varifocals and call it a day but different location shave certain needs, zooms, color, LED's etc. then throw in the networking aspect and it will make your head explode. last night i couldnt figure out how to make the app receive video when i was on cellular, seemed no one knew, i searched and couldnt find anything, then i remember seeing a barcode when initializing the camera. i reset it and enabled P2P this time and scanned the code and it worked like magic. the wiki is about 50% for me, when i look stuff up it seems it's outdated. like looking for an instruction manual for your microwave in the toaster oven section. gets confusing with usa/international, etc. i noticed some of these links when you click them, they will redirect to the usa dahua front page. you have to click on them twice to pull up the correct page if that makes sense. all in all i'm going to step back and learn more and tinker with the cams i have now to see i'm barking up the right tree. it's not that i dont have the time, i'm retired surveillance , but more of an end user, where things just worked. i can rip apart an engine, and build a house but one little unchecked box in buried in a program with no instructions will leave me pulling my hair out for days :) thanks guys.
Hi @funkybunch

".. the wiki is about 50% for me, when i look stuff up it seems it's outdated.."
Feel free to help update it. Thanks to@giomania who invested a lot of time to make the original one from the numerous posts and information that members here were sharing ( thanks to those members sharing their knowledge and experience ). The basic principles should remain the same, just the camera models and some firmware / software details may need updating.

".. i noticed some of these links when you click them, they will redirect to the usa dahua front page. .."
Yes, a lot of us got very pissed off when Dahua decided to modify their website and screwing all the appropriate links we've been posting.

Last edited:

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
watch the tutorial for the IPVM tool, it will tell you exactly what lens you need.
Be sure to do this on a REAL computer, not a phone
Fyi, earlier this month, we pushed part 1 for making the Calculator work on the phone. Now, you can add cameras, select models and edit settings on a phone. Soon, we will add the ability to see the simulated previews and more.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thanks for all the tips, i read about cameras all day, then move the cameras at night and try them out. i played with ipvm some more and it has me in the ball park, but i'm physically moving this varifocal to every spot and zooming in or out depending on what i want to see. now that i know what setting is what mm on the varifocal it gives me a better understanding. i wish i could just buy 8 varifocals and call it a day but different location shave certain needs, zooms, color, LED's etc. then throw in the networking aspect and it will make your head explode. last night i couldnt figure out how to make the app receive video when i was on cellular, seemed no one knew, i searched and couldnt find anything, then i remember seeing a barcode when initializing the camera. i reset it and enabled P2P this time and scanned the code and it worked like magic. the wiki is about 50% for me, when i look stuff up it seems it's outdated. like looking for an instruction manual for your microwave in the toaster oven section. gets confusing with usa/international, etc. i noticed some of these links when you click them, they will redirect to the usa dahua front page. you have to click on them twice to pull up the correct page if that makes sense. all in all i'm going to step back and learn more and tinker with the cams i have now to see i'm barking up the right tree. it's not that i dont have the time, i'm retired surveillance , but more of an end user, where things just worked. i can rip apart an engine, and build a house but one little unchecked box in buried in a program with no instructions will leave me pulling my hair out for days :) thanks guys.
Note: Everyone here is a volunteer. So if you find a need for something to be updated, feel free to update it.
Everything new has a learning curve, it takes time.
Use a test rig: 5gal bucket, with 8ft 2x4, and rocks for ballast to make a portable test rig. Test each proposed camera location for a minimum of 24hrs while recording.
It's not advisable to use the P2P for security reasons.
Install tinycam pro on your phone, and view the cams from your phone on wifi.
There is nothing wrong with using all varifocal cams for all locations.....as many of us here have done.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks again, i want to be able to view my cams when i'm away from home, assuming i can get a push notification when there is motion , intrusion, something crisses a tripwire, etc. the tinycam didnt work outside of wifi, i need something that works on cellular. seems like i need something more than 2.8 for sure or else i'll get reflections everywhere. the fisheye is driving me crazy also. i'm taking notes as i go and once it's over i'll update when i can.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
today i tried to capture a license plate of someone leaving my driveway. the camera is a 2231T varifocal zoomed into 12mm. i took a snapshot of the screen and zoomed into it and here are the results. the camera is approx 100ft from the vehicle. looks like i either need to step up to a box cam that can go up to 35mm or increase megapixels or both, suggestions?
plate.jpg

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
today i tried to capture a license plate of someone leaving my driveway. the camera is a 2231T varifocal zoomed into 12mm. i took a snapshot of the screen and zoomed into it and here are the results. the camera is approx 100ft from the vehicle. looks like i either need to step up to a box cam that can go up to 35mm or increase megapixels or both, suggestions?
View attachment 52278
Hi @funky102

".. the camera is approx 100ft from the vehicle. looks like i either need to step up to a box cam that can go up to 35mm or increase megapixels or both, suggestions? .."

Pixel density and angle to plate matters. iirc you need about 60-80 ppf to read a plate.

If you want to capture license plates at 100 feet away look at some of the PTZ models.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i was afraid of that, i think this angle is way off to capture cars going down the street even in daylight. i may be better off capturing from the second story, even tho it's higher, it's closer and a better angle.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
correct me if i'm wrong, i dont think they make a vari-focal turret that is greater than 13.5mm correct? i'd love to have more zoom in a turret/eyeball.

Reaction score
I read through this kind of fast but...are you using an NVR or are you using Blue Iris? This could make a difference in how you wire your house (networking, switches, POE, etc).

If you do not know much about computers/networking, this can all seem very daunting. If that is too much for you, then maybe getting a professional to buy from and do the install may be appropriate for you.

If you have some background knowledge of computers/networking, then DYI might be for you. But realize that means you have to maintain the system after the install. I have treated this as a hobby and had enough background to get into trouble but with help here things have worked out.

Trying to jump into LPR with no background is fairly aggressive. It may be prudent to start small, get the DVR/NVR and two or three cameras to start out before you attempt to do your whole house.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
dont worry, this thread is all over the place. instead of cluttering others i'll keep adding to this one :)

i dont have a nvr or blue iris. i've been reading this forum for a while and finally bought some cams recently. i dont know much about networking, in fact when i type in the default ip address to my router (confirmed by ipconfig) i can't access it. i had issues with ip's configuring the new cams and still having issues accessing things on different "networks" 192.168.0.xxx vs 192.168.1.xxx for example. the house is new ans prewired, i'm sticking cameras in different spots to see what i need lens wise and the photo that caught your eye was the blurry license plate, that was a varifocal eyeball zoomed in at 100+ feet and with some digital zoom and no dice. i'd love to goto the turret route but if they dont make one then it's a 35mm varifocal bullet for me. i was hoping i could use it at night for LPR but we'll see. i may just have to go full ptz as the mini ptz's dont seem to have the zoom either, this would surely kill two birds.... i may just go with a good nvr, i dont hjave a dedicated pc to run blue iris, dont want to buy poe switches, storage, etc. the reason behind this thread was to see if someone was in the area that could eyeball where the camera prewire is and say "you need a 3.6mm here or better" etc depending on what i wanted to do. ipvm only has so much satellite zoom and there are other obstacles here that a simple website just can't solve. anywho, welcome to the fun :)

Reaction score
i may just go with a good nvr, i dont hjave a dedicated pc to run blue iris, dont want to buy poe switches, storage, etc. the reason behind this thread was to see if someone was in the area that could eyeball where the camera prewire is and say "you need a 3.6mm here or better" etc depending on what i wanted to do
Ok, so some of your mission is defined: Do not want to get a PC with Blue Iris, do not want to buy storage or POE switches. The other parts seem not well defined yet. Just what do you intend to use the cameras for? Specifically? Are you looking for peace of mind by having some cameras to view outside if something happens and you want to know what it was (overview cameras)? Or are you intending to ID faces of perps? In general, a single camera can rarely do both. In your example picture, if your goal is to capture a plate in your driveway, there are cameras that can do that at 100 feet. This particular one runs about $180. Of course this is simulated and not moving. Finding a better angle, closer to the action, but aimed for LPR would work for your application. Maybe you run a cable out to some yard bushes and build a 'bird house' to put the camera in.

1576642453793.png

Second, it seems that you have done part of this in reverse. You have had your house wired without knowing what the purpose of each camera position was. Generally it works like this: you define what you want to capture, and then you pick the camera and position that will do it. I am not saying that your pre-wired locations can't be used. But they will potentially limit your options.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, so some of your mission is defined: Do not want to get a PC with Blue Iris, do not want to buy storage or POE switches. The other parts seem not well defined yet. Just what do you intend to use the cameras for? Specifically? Are you looking for peace of mind by having some cameras to view outside if something happens and you want to know what it was (overview cameras)? Or are you intending to ID faces of perps? In general, a single camera can rarely do both. In your example picture, if your goal is to capture a plate in your driveway, there are cameras that can do that at 100 feet. This particular one runs about $180. Of course this is simulated and not moving. Finding a better angle, closer to the action, but aimed for LPR would work for your application. Maybe you run a cable out to some yard bushes and build a 'bird house' to put the camera in.

View attachment 52444

Second, it seems that you have done part of this in reverse. You have had your house wired without knowing what the purpose of each camera position was. Generally it works like this: you define what you want to capture, and then you pick the camera and position that will do it. I am not saying that your pre-wired locations can't be used. But they will potentially limit your options.
I walked the house several times and took notes and came up with the camera positioning seen earlier is this thread. there's really no other options for an LPR unless i mount it on a stand alone box next to the street which will stick out like a sore thumb. it looks like i'll need a 35-64mm camera if i'm going to even attempt LPR, esp at night. lots of trial and error, i just dont want to but the wrong cameras and have to send them back,so a 64mm would be better than a 35 IMO.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
here's a new one, i'm trying to set the tripwire and i keep getting an error message that says "Exceed the big connect!"

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
playing with the 2231T and 100 ft from the roadway, angle is way off, exposure 1000 and 2000 yields about the same results. aside from the angle, would a higher MP camera make the image clearer, i know a 35-60mm lens might do the trick, but if this were a 4MP or 8MP camera what would the results look like?2000.png