Anyone running 8th gen Intel without memory leak problems in Blue Iris?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@skywaytp
That CPU usage % difference is too large to be explained by the CPU swap alone. The 8700K only adds hyperthreading and a small increase in clock speeds, so at best you would expect to see CPU usage at or just under half of what it was. But you say your CPU usage was cut down to a quarter which indicates something else was meaningfully different on the old system (like hardware acceleration not working).

To pull audio from the camera, first go to the camera's web interface and make sure it is configured like the highlighted parts of this screenshot:

(In my screenshot I haven't configured audio for the sub streams. You can ignore the Sub Stream settings.)

upload_2018-12-3_14-22-55.png

Then in Blue Iris, there are a couple of places to check. One is the camera properties > Audio tab. The main concern is the Enable audio channel checkbox and IP camera stream radio button.

I doubt it is relevant but you can also check on the audio settings at the bottom of the Video > Network IP camera configuration window. This is how one of my cams is configured.

skywaytp

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi federman and thanks bp2008 for the guidance.
I forgot to mention that the NVME was replaced in place of the SSD for main HHD (also a kingston). All memory leak configuration and hard drive acceleration was redone and rechecked. Perhaps, there was something left out in the old configuration which I was not aware of.

SantiagoDraco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've had a 9th gen running for a few weeks with zero memory leak issues. HW enabled.

SantiagoDraco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I can check... are you having issues with memory leaks on 9th gen? Is that why you are asking?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Intel fixed the leak on some of the latest 8th gen drivers, so I'd just try the latest for 9th gen and see how it works.

Floydie

n3wb
Reaction score
hi guys.
im looking at building a new main hub PC for home thatll be our HTPC for netflix etc and a plex server...looking at an i3 8100/H370 board and 8 gigs of ram..
would that cope with a couple of dahua 2mp cameras going to it? the reason i ask is that people ive asked said it should be ok as intel has the quick sync and id be feeding direct to disk...
but reading this thread seems like it has to be turned off to stop the bleeding??
Anyone running an 8th gen i3??
i was going to use windows 10 home for an O.S but looks like ill need PRO to stop auto driver updates?

Last edited:

aaronwt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Intel fixed the leak on some of the latest 8th gen drivers, so I'd just try the latest for 9th gen and see how it works.
Yes. Ive had no issues on my 8th gen core i5. My BI machine runs 24/7 without any memory ssues. With my fifteen cameras.

Sent from my Nexus 7(16GB) using Tapatalk

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
hi guys.
im looking at building a new main hub PC for home thatll be our HTPC for netflix etc and a plex server...looking at an i3 8100/H370 board and 8 gigs of ram..
would that cope with a couple of dahua 2mp cameras going to it? the reason i ask is that people ive asked said it should be ok as intel has the quick sync and id be feeding direct to disk...
but reading this thread seems like it has to be turned off to stop the bleeding??
Anyone running an 8th gen i3??
i was going to use windows 10 home for an O.S but looks like ill need PRO to stop auto driver updates?
Read here about hw for bi. Wiki

dastrix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all, considering an 8th Gen i3-8100 for 8 cameras @ 2Megapixel, 15FPS. Direct to Disk. Any concerns? it seems there are drivers without leaking issues I can use. Given its for a customer, im a little worried there may be performance issues/leak issues. Hoping someone can put my mind at rest.

Thanks

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all, considering an 8th Gen i3-8100 for 8 cameras @ 2Megapixel, 15FPS. Direct to Disk. Any concerns? it seems there are drivers without leaking issues I can use. Given its for a customer, im a little worried there may be performance issues/leak issues. Hoping someone can put my mind at rest.

Thanks
That is plenty of CPU for the job (240 MP/s), even if you end up having to turn off hardware acceleration (which you shouldn't need to...).

dastrix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks bp2008, I absolutely want to do hardware decoding. Good to know. What sort of cpu do you think I could drop to? With enough headroom to use 12 cameras, if ever needed?

aaronwt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My core i5 3rd gen can handle 15 cameras with most at 1500p. But there are plenty of times the CPU gets pegged at 100%. Both the 8th gen core i3 and the third gen Core i5 uses four CPU cores.

I switched to an 8th gen core i5 last year which has six cores. Now my CPU usage is down to around 30% and rarely ever hits 100%. And it's using around ten watts less as well.

Sent from my Nexus 7(16GB)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
thanks bp2008, I absolutely want to do hardware decoding. Good to know. What sort of cpu do you think I could drop to? With enough headroom to use 12 cameras, if ever needed?
If building or buying a new PC I wouldn't go lower than i3-8100 for any reason. The value just won't be there. That CPU should also work fine for 12x 2mp @15 FPS (360 MP/s). If you are okay with buying used, you could get an i5 3rd-gen or newer and achieve much the same result for $100-$150. Make sure there's 8 GB of RAM.

dastrix

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks guys, ive got the i3 8100 in. Its running higher CPU than i'd expect, 4 cameras only so far around 20%.

Ive had a raft of issues with drivers, ghosting motion etc

I tried the ones on the page here, and found one that gives me the 20-30% CPU but the rest make it run alot higher. Something isnt right though! I shouldnt have that high CPU nor the ghosting.

Memory Leak: Quick Sync (Hardware Acceleration) | IP Cam Talk

denywinarto

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i5-8400 + rtx 2060 gigabyte mini here
Few days ago it happened to me as well,

And it was definitely nvidia driver issue.

I reinstalled my machine, with intel iris v 25.20.100.677 and rtx v471.171 (from gigabyte official website) and it's been running fine for 2 days now without memory leak.

I remember updating my GPU driver before the issue occurs because i was tempted with the performance increase :/
But that driver wasnt from gigabyte, it was from the nvidia website.
So it might have something to do with the leaking

I'm using v4's latest version though, v5 always gives me "not responding" issue when playing playback.

Last edited: