Anyone running 8th gen Intel without memory leak problems in Blue Iris?

Tuckerdude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yes for sure...activated with a full and updated license

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Alright. Your MP/s load is only double mine right now and my i7-8700K runs under 20% with the BI GUI closed, so something is still definitely unexplained here. I would have expected your usage to be in the 40-50% area even with limit decode disabled on everything.

The next step is to continue reducing the frame rates, particularly for the cams that don't already have limit decode enabled.

Edit: actually, your BiUpdateHelper stats are showing sharply reduced frame rates on several of the cameras, which suggests that Blue Iris is not keeping up, and your actual megapixels per second (MP/s) load is probably supposed to be a lot higher than 1520 still.

SantiagoDraco

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
bp, is it recommended to use direct to disk in all situations for better quality? I haven't turned it on because of the warning about limitations on viewing clips that are being recorded (don't remember the exact text).

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
bp, is it recommended to use direct to disk in all situations for better quality? I haven't turned it on because of the warning about limitations on viewing clips that are being recorded (don't remember the exact text).
Yes. Direct to disc saves the video in the exact quality that the camera sent out originally. The only downside is that any video processing done by Blue Iris won't be in the raw recordings. This includes timestamps, weather overlays, picture overlays, area of interest region cropping (rarely used), video rotation (usually done by the camera instead), etc. Some of these things can be added afterward when you export a clip. Some can't. Most people only care about the timestamp, but fortunately cameras are perfectly capable of embedding their own timestamp so you're covered.

Direct to disc doesn't affect the ability to view clips that are being recorded. You are thinking of BVR vs MP4 format.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That is probably normal. I don't know where they get the first 3 sets of numbers from but the last one seems to be what really matters, and is consistent.

Roye

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That is probably normal. I don't know where they get the first 3 sets of numbers from but the last one seems to be what really matters, and is consistent.
I have i7 8700 processor. Tonight cpu load was 13% but at morning it was 27%.

Now updated to 23.20.16.4901 and I hope it will be fixed.

Thanks

Tuckerdude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yo guys...hope the weekend is going good for you all!

bp...thanks again for the pointers, and I wanted to let you know that I just refreshed some performance data for the new i7 build. This time, I've gone into each camera and limited the framerate to 10 as well as specify "Max-Bitrate" to nothing more than 4096 (for 90% of the cameras). Happy to report that I'm now achieving an average of 55% CPU load with all cameras running and no "limit decode" on any of them!

Now what I can do is go into the system and surgically tune the cameras that I care most about to achieve the most usability. 10fps for me is REALLY borderline in terms of view ability, but I'll take the tradeoff's to have a good working system

Cheers everyone!

Tuckerdude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello again...

Just uploaded fresh data from my i9 build with no "limit decode" on any cameras, and the CPU hovers at around 28%, and without Intel Quick-Sync. Interesting to see the differences here!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Thats good. I wonder why your i7 data has so many cameras reporting below 10 FPS though. It could be reaching some kind of limit (hardware acceleration limit perhaps) even though CPU usage is barely over 50%.

And you haven't turned on direct to disc on your i9 configuration yet. Again I don't know if that will make a difference until things actually start recording, but you'll want it enabled anyway.

Tuckerdude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yep...that's my next step (on the i9). Don't really know about the under 10 FPS thing??? They are all set to 10 so it doesn't make sense.

FYI...just updated one more set of data for my old (well...last year) i7-6950X build. That one is now comfortably sitting at 35% CPU with limit decode turn off! Now I can use UI3 and not worry about burning up my machine! Pretty stoked about that!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
yep...that's my next step (on the i9). Don't really know about the under 10 FPS thing??? They are all set to 10 so it doesn't make sense.
That frame rate reading is what Blue Iris reports via its web server and via the status window. It can be lower than the camera is actually sending out if the system is overwhelmed and unable to keep up. The slowdown is often at the network layer when people are using wifi or have a bad cable run or something, but it can just as easily be caused by some other bottleneck in the system. Under normal conditions those FPS readings would be within 1 FPS of where you set it in the camera.

FYI...just updated one more set of data for my old (well...last year) i7-6950X build. That one is now comfortably sitting at 35% CPU with limit decode turn off! Now I can use UI3 and not worry about burning up my machine! Pretty stoked about that!
:)

Roye

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm impressed by my new setup.

Intel Core i7 8700
Corsair DDR 4 16G (8Gx2)
Intel SSD 360GB
WD HDD 4.0TB 64MB SATA3 Purple x 2
Win 10 pro

Currently I run 8 cameras, continuous recording, bitrate 4096, Direct-to-disc recording, hardware acceleration, 15 FPS. Also implemented some more tips from here except limit decoding.

CPU load average 10%-13%

I plan to add another 7-8 cameras. I think I'll have to add one or two more purple hard drives.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tuckerdude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey bp...one more data point for you:

As mentioned above, after I got the system running at a reasonable CPU load, I decided to go in and cherry pick a few cameras to bring their FPS back up to something more useful (to me anyway). So I chose 6 cameras that I had set to 10 FPS, and changed them to 20 FPS. Here's the results:

Core i9-7980xe Went from 28% to 33%
Core i7-6960x Went from 35% to 41%
Corei7-8700K Went from 55% to 93%

Super interesting how the change affected the i7-8700K so heavily!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm impressed by my new setup.

Intel Core i7 8700
Corsair DDR 4 16G (8Gx2)
Intel SSD 360GB
WD HDD 4.0TB 64MB SATA3 Purple x 2
Win 10 pro

Currently I run 8 cameras, continuous recording, bitrate 4096, Direct-to-disc recording, hardware acceleration, 15 FPS. Also implemented some more tips from here except limit decoding.

CPU load average 10%-13%

I plan to add another 7-8 cameras. I think I'll have to add one or two more purple hard drives.
Good deal! Hey, how did you get the GPU columns into task manager?

Edit: Never mind. It is in the menu if I right click any of the headings, but it requires Win10 to be fully updated or else it isn't an option! I believe that GPU usage percent is actually the Quick Sync utilization when it says "Video Decode" in the GPU Engine column. Very nice info to have -- much easier than using Performance Monitor to view that number. I'd bet Tuckerdude's i7-8700K system has that at or near 100%.