Anyone running bi in a vm?

JayBart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm running an underutilized dell server at home for domain in various rolls. I setup a hyper v vm running windows 10 and setup bi with 10 4k cameras, set for 10fps at full resolution. The server chip does not have quick sync. Even so, the vm is o fly running at around 20% (8 core virtual cpu.. server has a gou, but for reasons i cant get my vm's tonrecognize it, so its pure cpu decoding) and overall CPU usage on the server usage barely increased (server is running 2 cpus, wach with 18 physical cores and 18nhyper threads). Aything in missing here? Inknow this is far from an ideal bi setup, but since I'm running the server anyway... any issues? I'm debating getting rid of the i7700k box I have that is solely dedicated to bi, and keeping it in a vm.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
People are running a VM.

It is not recommended. This is a security system and need to be 100% reliable with 100% uptime.

JayBart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Why would reliability be an issue? I'm running on a machine with 36 physical cores/72 threads, 128gigs of ram
windows server 2016. It's a Dell poweredge server, running 24/7, with multiple redundancies. I'm running several vm's running various server roles, 24/7. I've been running if for over a year without a single crash. Is there something about bi that makes it not play nice in a vm?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Why would reliability be an issue? I'm running on a machine with 36 physical cores/72 threads, 128gigs of ram
windows server 2016. It's a Dell poweredge server, running 24/7, with multiple redundancies. I'm running several vm's running various server roles, 24/7. I've been running if for over a year without a single crash. Is there something about bi that makes it not play nice in a vm?
Because vm's introduce another layer of compatibility, stability and resource issues as well as intel graphics passthough. Baremetal machines are so cheap an efficient, it makes no sense to run a vm for critical tasks. There is a reason vms vendors like exacq have special releases for vmware. The only way you are using 20% cpu with your load is by using the limit decoding option, making BI motion detection (one if its best functions) unreliable.

JayBart

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hmm, I'll have to look into it more, I dont think I'm running limit decoding, but I'll check.

And just to be clear, I'm not debating that a dedicated box is the best option. Plainly it is. And I've built a machine based on much of the sage advice in this forum, this is more of a experiment on my part to see if my server, which is going to be running 24/7 anyway, could do as good a job. (Also, the 20% load was the figure for the vm, not the server. The server itself is only clipping at around 10% usage)

Busted my butt to try and get the quadro graphics to be recognized by the vm, just gave up on that.

Last edited: