Appears that my new roof mounted HIKVision PTZ burned out in 2.34' rain yesterday. HELP ANYONE.

Doug2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Im confused: what would a waterproof box be for the ptz dome on the mounting device. Can you still use the waterproof cable connector with a mounting device?
Im confused: what would a waterproof box be for the ptz dome on the mounting device. Can you still use the waterproof cable connector with a mounting device?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Generally speaking from what I've seen, PTZ mounts have lots of space where there is a weatherproof/weather resistant area for the network/power/auxiliary connections.

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
I bought some coax seal tape as I have seen recommended on this forum when I did my installs. Holy cow, that stuff is unlike anything I have seen before, like strips of sticky putty, EASY to work with, molds like a undersized glove, inspires confidence in keeping moisture out.

Doug2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I bought some coax seal tape as I have seen recommended on this forum when I did my installs. Holy cow, that stuff is unlike anything I have seen before, like strips of sticky putty, EASY to work with, molds like a undersized glove, inspires confidence in keeping moisture out.
Thank you for the tape advice. Do you know what SebastianToombs means by tape procedure 33+?? Thanks, Old Vet

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you for the tape advice. Do you know what SebastianToombs means by tape procedure 33+?? Thanks, Old Vet

I believe he is just referring to the use of Scotch Super 33, in addition to the other recommendations.

From the cliff notes;

Weatherproofing Connections
Most IP cameras come with connectors similar to this, so this is not exclusive to Dahua products.

The included RJ-45 waterproof connector is OK, but it can be improved with Di-Electric grease in the connections: Permatex 22058 Dielectric Tune-Up Grease, 3 oz. Tube | Amazon, as well as wrapping the end with self-sealing silicon tape: Scotch Linerless Rubber Splicing Tape 130C, 3/4" Width, then finally wrap it with either black or white electrical tape: Scotch Super 33+ Vinyl Electrical Tape, 3/4 in x 66 ft, black or Scotch Vinyl Color Coding Electrical Tape 35, 1/2 in x 20 ft, white. Duct Seal is useful for sealing any holes or gaps in the junction boxes, as well as sealing conduit holes.

You can find RJ-45 waterproof connectors on Amazon and ebay, but these require you to cut the camera’s
connector, and it Dahua doesn’t appear to have standardized wire colors, as noted here.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I never seem to mention Duct Seal but I've been using it since the 70's to seal all kinds of things. Far superior to silicon seal in any application where you may need to remove it. Plus it seals a tight as a crabs a$$hole is water tight. Nothing, and I mean nothing, can stop condensation though so dielectric grease is a must.

Doug2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I never seem to mention Duct Seal but I've been using it since the 70's to seal all kinds of things. Far superior to silicon seal in any application where you may need to remove it. Plus it seals a tight as a crabs a$$hole is water tight. Nothing, and I mean nothing, can stop condensation though so dielectric grease is a must.
thank you old vet

Doug2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wasn't much of a soldier, kept getting shot in the rear running the wrong way. No seriously, if you ever watched "Mash", I was what Obuma called: "Corpsemen," too stupid to know the correct pronunciation: Corpsmen (kormen). In addition to being a medic (combat nurse) I was also a lab tech. I had a minority sergeant who found out I was from OK so he assumed I was part of the reason he and his Japanese wife and 5 kids suffered from discrimination. He didn't ask nor did he know my Dad was career Army 2 wars and 22yrs and we lived many places and were not racist. He hated my black bunk mate because he was Southern black, polite and gentile. We all loved him. So cross-eyed CSh-t Sergeant always tried to get rid of us at his earliest chance W/O even checking our feelings about minorities. This started my incredible journey there in Boston, Harvard night school, Aberdeen Proving Grounds, He sent us for every request for temporary duty guinea pigs and held on to his favorites (usually white WACS. He probably saved us from Nam and Bay of Pigs killing fields as I was always away doing special experimental lab research assignments. What an incredible journey I had due to his hatred for us SWestern and Southern boys. Looking back over my incredible journeys I am sure that God must have a sense of humor and I received a lot of education. I only lament I feel so stupid when I listen to you "splain things" on the forum. I can't even figure out how to connect my cameras to Blue I. My wife who has a very high IQ and highly paid income before she met me when a med director can't figure it out. We both marvel at your knowledge and are embarrassed to ask a question and show how dumb about camera physics we are. Old Vet. By the way don't lament non-service as it didn't seem it did us much good when you look at how our government has degenerated recently.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Old nearly useless Vet here, with blonde, beautiful, young energetic wife. You might know the we sent several email with our brilliant low cost, theft/vandal hardened "Crocodile" LPR system. After 3 months of dealing with 3 previous faulty or one misrepresented company, your Store sold me HIKVision LPR and 2 ptz Minidomes, that have performed perfectly until after a 2.34" rain last nite. Our roof line ptz went out after several hours of Rain. This is the camera we mounted hi above the elderly hard-headed ex-Marine who refuses to sell his motorhome that prevents me from covering him and his 3 elderly neighbors on one side of the culdesac next to him. He recently told us that due to age and health he will travel very little and relented for us mounting a camera to cover my four neighbors blocked by his beloved motorhome. (Poor old Jarhead thinks that Good Sam Club is related to Uncle Sam and despite his annual promises he will sell the darned thing. But, God Bless him he is a Marine vet and we love him). We are still in shock that he relented to placing a camera at top of his roof ladder saving us from erecting street light pole, conduit lines and days of work and expense, which of course has to be done by my hot, young, blonde, beautiful wife who I'm cajoling to build a sun-room or me on the back of the house. HERE ARE THE QUESTIONS. Do I eat the $250 for the cord and camera that clearly had smoked connections on the ptz, or will Store/Manufacturer help me on the costs? In any event, what type of Camera do I put up on top his motorhome? I have enclosed a picture of the Q-tips of the smoke residue we took from connection. There was clearly water in the back of the mount kit where we stuffed the camera wires with little protective tape around the wires. We thought the camera isself was weather resistant and we did read the instructions that said dont mount directly uView attachment 93703nder stream of water. Note: our genius SampleNHold had warned me once about taping a loose wire on a perch camera riding on the LPR. Can you other smart guys help this old Vet solve his last obstacle to spending his final years protecting my elderly neighbors from property theft and violent home invasionView attachment 93703View attachment 93707View attachment 93706View attachment 93707s?View attachment 93706
Just looking at it the mount is tilted forwards. The net result of that is any water that runs down behind the camera will run forwards and against the seals / wiring instead of straight down the back. This obviously increases the amount of water pooling against the wiring and thus increases the risk of ingress. Once inside the mount it's an easy run down a heavily sloping bracket into a vertical hole in the base of the camera from where there's only one way to go, collect in the end and go down into the camera itself.

What you need at the very least is to find a way of mounting the bracket vertically to encourage water to run past and not into the connections. Not sure what the answer is here as not a builder or roofer but my inclination would be if you must have a camera at that height is to maybe mount a pole on the side of the house and then use a pole mount to get the camera high enough. However, there maybe issues with movement in the wind for the size of pole you're going to want to strap to your home and the longer the pole the bigger the issue.

Personally, whilst I applaude your ultraism, ultimately if the sole purpose of the camera is to cover your neighbours property, and you cannot mount one under the eaves, my inclination would be to tell your neighbours you're sorry but mounting it there was unsuccessful, you can't get a view of theire property and they need to make their own security arrangements. You shouldn't be paying to protect your neighbours anyway although as said, it is a nice gesture. You may also find increasing privacy issues anyway. In the UK my undrestanding of our rules is a private housholder is exempt from strict EU GDPR data regulations unless their camera captures property belonging to others / public property after which, they are subject to GDPR. With the increase in wokeism and privacy concerns world wide, it's only a matter of time before privacy issues start to invade even the US with regards to cameras watching others property. Now might be a good time to make the break from protecting others therefore.

Doug2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just looking at it the mount is tilted forwards. The net result of that is any water that runs down behind the camera will run forwards and against the seals / wiring instead of straight down the back. This obviously increases the amount of water pooling against the wiring and thus increases the risk of ingress. Once inside the mount it's an easy run down a heavily sloping bracket into a vertical hole in the base of the camera from where there's only one way to go, collect in the end and go down into the camera itself.

What you need at the very least is to find a way of mounting the bracket vertically to encourage water to run past and not into the connections. Not sure what the answer is here as not a builder or roofer but my inclination would be if you must have a camera at that height is to maybe mount a pole on the side of the house and then use a pole mount to get the camera high enough. However, there maybe issues with movement in the wind for the size of pole you're going to want to strap to your home and the longer the pole the bigger the issue.

Personally, whilst I applaude your ultraism, ultimately if the sole purpose of the camera is to cover your neighbours property, and you cannot mount one under the eaves, my inclination would be to tell your neighbours you're sorry but mounting it there was unsuccessful, you can't get a view of theire property and they need to make their own security arrangements. You shouldn't be paying to protect your neighbours anyway although as said, it is a nice gesture. You may also find increasing privacy issues anyway. In the UK my undrestanding of our rules is a private housholder is exempt from strict EU GDPR data regulations unless their camera captures property belonging to others / public property after which, they are subject to GDPR. With the increase in wokeism and privacy concerns world wide, it's only a matter of time before privacy issues start to invade even the US with regards to cameras watching others property. Now might be a good time to make the break from protecting others therefore.
Excellent advise from a cousin across the pond. The old Marine next door told me to mount on the back of his motorhome. He is 87 and he and his wife are both starting to get feeble and he stated they won't travel much anymore, so the problem has been solved an we will mount the new ptz at top of his ladder on rear of MHome. It will be waterproofed and vertical (per your astute observation).
We are already getting 5G poles in our neighbor hoods. SO PRIVACY IS DEAD IN USA. Our government and elections are rigged and Democracy here is under attack as the inmates are now in charge of our institutions. I only have a little time left and I can afford to protect my neighbors. They are aware of the increasing crime here and DEADLY HOME INVASTIONS. If you watch google news you can see what is happening to innocent people, elderly, Asians, police this will be my final combat mission as I've grown some what feeble also. My old 11 camera system has prevented me/wife from attack/theft but my neighbors have many/rising auto burglaries and home is invasion is coming and they know they are older and vulnerable. China Joe and Kamelto will let CCP destroy freedom with the 5G, but some of us are Patriots and hoping we can take a few with us when they come for our guns and property. Thanks for your helpful input. Old Vet with Energetic Wife