Worlds First Review - Dahua DH-IPC-HFW5449T1-ASE+D2 - Dual Lens Full Color 2.0

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
So last try to make this D2 3.6mm work somewhere. Im afraid with it being the first generation with mismatched sensors, its a dud.
I've hit the Calibration button so many times its starting to get a mark ;)

Any of you experienced old timers need a project cam to play with? Its just gonna collect dust here

Compared to the new VF 5442ZHE

Spare5216_IPC_main_20230607135119_@1.jpg
Home_Drive-5442H-ZHE_main_20230607135128_@5.jpg

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So last try to make this D2 3.6mm work somewhere. Im afraid with it being the first generation with mismatched sensors, its a dud.
I've hit the Calibration button so many times its starting to get a mark ;)

Any of you experienced old timers need a project cam to play with? Its just gonna collect dust here

Compared to the new VF 5442ZHE

View attachment 165086
View attachment 165085
What a huge difference between these two cameras with the image clarity. :wow:

chap1982

n3wb
Reaction score
I had a first gen with the mismatch sensors. I'll be very honest, while cool it sucked. The current version with the same sensors is much better and most of the blur is gone. It's not perfect but for me it was a noticeable improvement. I used the original for like 3 months before replacing it. It was that bad.

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
OK, here is my take:
I have a new Andy-T5442TM-LED-S2 cam with 3.6mm and F=1.0 here, which is also rather blurry. Mine is a turret, yours is probably a bullet version. Mine should be focused from 2.6m onward, yours should work from 2m. Mine is less clear than the 2.8mm model from the same series, despite stronger magnification. In other words, useless.

I doubt the problem is from stitching. You could check: Turn your cam into a "pirate cam" by covering the IR lens. Then you can see just the color picture. I expect it to be still as blurry.

To evaluate the optics, use bright daylight, high bandwidth and ZERO sharpening.

I am not sure if the lens assembly of the 3.6mm version is poor or just poorly focused. But at the spec distance, it isn't well focused. Not even at 9 meters.

On the other hand, your comparison is not fair either, as your varifocal has a variable focus.

The only charm of the D2 would be to have great low light performance and IR to fall back on if it gets too low. If you can rule out that problem, then my lens should be just a good. But hey, it is blurry too.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
OK, here is my take:
I have a new Andy-T5442TM-LED-S2 cam with 3.6mm and F=1.0 here, which is also rather blurry. Mine is a turret, yours is probably a bullet version. Mine should be focused from 2.6m onward, yours should work from 2m. Mine is less clear than the 2.8mm model from the same series, despite stronger magnification. In other words, useless.

I doubt the problem is from stitching. You could check: Turn your cam into a "pirate cam" by covering the IR lens. Then you can see just the color picture. I expect it to be still as blurry.

To evaluate the optics, use bright daylight, high bandwidth and ZERO sharpening.

I am not sure if the lens assembly of the 3.6mm version is poor or just poorly focused. But at the spec distance, it isn't well focused. Not even at 9 meters.

On the other hand, your comparison is not fair either, as your varifocal has a variable focus.

The only charm of the D2 would be to have great low light performance and IR to fall back on if it gets too low. If you can rule out that problem, then my lens should be just a good. But hey, it is blurry too.

Mine is identical to yours, 3.6mm turret.
I can just as easily compare it side by side with a 3.6mm 5442 fixed turret. I doubt we'll see any significant differnce as you'll note the VF bullet above it is almost identical in FOV as I have it focused, and in theory ANY zoom past the base 2.7min on the VF will produce Less light/higher FStop

chap1982

n3wb
Reaction score
Frankly even if the new version with matching sensors is "better and the blur is almost gone" I dont see enough value in features to replace an otherwise superior 5442 or 4K-X
I agree. I have a 5442 in place right across from it and it works great. This one is more of a toy now. It's unique and works but there's better options that are the same price or cheaper. It doesn't really fit in anywhere. It still lacks the overall sharpness the 5442 which is the most disappointing part.

OK, here is my take:

I messed with that when I got it. It was about the same level of sharpness. So while V2 has better stitching, the camera just isn't focused well (like the V1). I'm not placing blame on Andy but I'll say this camera is a very easy pass and not worth the money (the turret version specifically).

I checked my orders. I got the V1 in May 2022 and the V2 in July 2022. I'll replace it when something fun comes out that can do IR too.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I can just as easily compare it side by side with a 3.6mm 5442 fixed turret. I doubt we'll see any significant differnce as you'll note the VF bullet above it is almost identical in FOV as I have it focused, and in theory ANY zoom past the base 2.7min on the VF will produce Less light/higher FStop
I was thinking the same thing when I relocated my 2nd LPR camera from the eave of the house to the tree by the street. The camera is a 5442E-Z4E as are all my LPR cameras. Looking at the zoom it is on 240 and maxed out it would be 620. Not as much zoom required in the new location.

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Then we likely have the same full color part.

I can just as easily compare it side by side with a 3.6mm 5442 fixed turret.
Yes, you could. But that F=1.6 turret has less lense opening and hence should be better focused. Specs say 1.9m. So yes, the picture quality should improve at the price of light.

What bugs me is that the F=1.0 2.8mm performs so well and the 3.6mm does not. Wish I had not bought it. If it had been amazon, I would just have returned it.
The varifocal will squarely beat the f=1.0 fixfocals once the image gets closer. But then it pays with a blurred background, which one might be able to afford more than a blurred image.

I messed with that when I got it. It was about the same level of sharpness. So while V2 has better stitching, the camera just isn't focused well (like the V1). I'm not placing blame on Andy but I'll say this camera is a very easy pass and not worth the money (the turret version specifically).
Perhaps you misread? I don't have a dual lens cam. I have the single lens full color cam that is also used in the dual lens cam.