Are there IP Cameras (for outdoor) with night vision but not IR LED night vision?

rotation

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A lot of Cameras for outdoor surveillance have IR LEDs for night vision.
These IR LEDs are visible from any device capable of night vision, e.g. Night Vision goggles (even cheap ones) or digicams with removed IR Filter.
So anybody could come along, point a night vision goggles to my house and notice where the cameras are, if the IR light is on.

Are there IP Cameras (for outdoor) with a different method of night vision, not visible to cheap night vision goggles?

kccustom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Attachments

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
These IR LEDs are visible from any device capable of night vision, e.g. Night Vision goggles (even cheap ones) or digicams with removed IR Filter.
So anybody could come along, point a night vision goggles to my house and notice where the cameras are, if the IR light is on.

Are there IP Cameras (for outdoor) with a different method of night vision, not visible to cheap night vision goggles?
Not that I'm aware of unless it's secret tech that governments only have access to like the CIA, etc... Cameras need some form of illumination to function. Whether it be via infrared or visible. It just needs one of the two to work. Even night vision devices need a source of illumination. In pure darkness, they have to use IR as well.

You can use cameras that are sensitive to 940nm IR which is totally invisible to the human eye so you wouldn't see the red glow with the naked eye. But it can still be seen by other electronic devices sensitive to that IR spectrum.

Last edited:

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

They could also just look with their eyes and see where the cameras are. Generally speaking the IR coverage is wider than the camera's FOV so if anything they may assume more coverage than you have.
In reality someone going to that extent would just put on a mask, sun glasses and hoodie\cap, good luck identifying them or even point a torch at the cams.
Even the IR emitter hats to block cctv are getting popularity with the tin foil hat brigade, won't be long until the crims start with them. A lot cheaper than night vision..
1614689259457.png

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Hi @rotation

Look for cameras which remain in normal light ( color ) using ambient light to capture the image.. these cameras have larger sensors.

You will need more ambient light for these to work well. Depending on where you live, you may already have enough ( such as in many urban settings ).

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

They work really good with very little ambient light.
Can we see a video with motion of this camera? Any camera can produce a nice still image at night, but motion is what we want to capture as no perp is going to stand still for 5 seconds so that the camera set on auto settings can get a blur-free image...

Reaction score
post #118
I have a 5442 camera in a birdhouse not using IR at all. I have nice ambient lighting to accomplish this. This picture in this post is 1/60 manual shutter to help with motion at night. Would even be brighter if set to 1/30 but also more blurry with faster walking folks.

kccustom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can we see a video with motion of this camera? Any camera can produce a nice still image at night, but motion is what we want to capture as no perp is going to stand still for 5 seconds so that the camera set on auto settings can get a blur-free image...
I can pretend to be a perp tomorrow here are some cars though.

Attachments

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
You can see when you pause the video when the car is in motion how bad the blur is. It's not terrible, but I can't tell the make/model at all when I go to pause the video. So if you had to turn the video over to the police, getting a solid ID on the vehicle would prove challenging.

The settings are, of course, dependent on what you want to accomplish. If you don't care about that, then it doesn't matter.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can pretend to be a perp tomorrow here are some cars though.
Thanks - I have found it helps members to see videos because anyone can make a crap camera look like noon at midnight but then motion is a complete blur or ghosting, both of which is useless to the police. Just like we can take a great camera and look even brighter than noon, but still result in bad video. Just trying to figure out where that camera falls in the spectrum.

Hopefully someone walks by walking a dog or something and we can see what a person looks like.

Companies that simply show pictures or video with no motion are doing so because they know they cannot show motion as it will not sell what they are selling.

kccustom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can see when you pause the video when the car is in motion how bad the blur is. It's not terrible, but I can't tell the make/model at all when I go to pause the video. So if you had to turn the video over to the police, getting a solid ID on the vehicle would prove challenging.

The settings are, of course, dependent on what you want to accomplish. If you don't care about that, then it doesn't matter.
OP asked for a camera that doesn't use IR at night for 200 bucks this is one.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
But we do not know the end use of the OP - do they want it as overview and doesn't care about blur or is it trying to ID someone?

What is their ambient light - you benefit with some street light.

He may see that white light LED and decide not to want that as that is more noticeable than IR.

I have 33,000 lumen radiating off my house and have enough light at this location that the little LED white light on the camera didn’t make a difference. So with this 1/120 shutter speed, I wanted to see if the camera could perform with only the white light from the camera and the flood lights turned off. As you can see from this video, it never recognized me at these settings. You would need to run 1/80 shutter with just the white light to be able to start to make a person out, but the image is way too dark. But if I run a slower shutter to make the image brighter, then I get blur.

The average Joe will not spend the time to calibrate and will just leave the settings on auto and love the great still image they get and then just accept a blur/ghost motion at night. When do we need these to perform - at night!

Keep in mind that with the shutter at auto, it is a nice bright image and looks like noon at midnight and as bright as your image, but motion was a blur...once I dial the camera in to actually be usable, you see the limitations...

kccustom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
But we do not know the end use of the OP - do they want it as overview and doesn't care about blur or is it trying to ID someone?

What is their ambient light - you benefit with some street light.

He may see that white light LED and decide not to want that as that is more noticeable than IR.

I have 33,000 lumen radiating off my house and have enough light at this location that the little LED white light on the camera didn’t make a difference. So with this 1/120 shutter speed, I wanted to see if the camera could perform with only the white light from the camera and the flood lights turned off. As you can see from this video, it never recognized me at these settings. You would need to run 1/80 shutter with just the white light to be able to start to make a person out, but the image is way too dark. But if I run a slower shutter to make the image brighter, then I get blur.

The average Joe will not spend the time to calibrate and will just leave the settings on auto and love the great still image they get and then just accept a blur/ghost motion at night. When do we need these to perform - at night!

Keep in mind that with the shutter at auto, it is a nice bright image and looks like noon at midnight and as bright as your image, but motion was a blur...once I dial the camera in to actually be usable, you see the limitations...

Those videos are with only ambient light no light from the camera 1/30 shutter speed, I put it to 1/60 for tonight because now I am curious, I got it so I can see car color at night to compliment my LPR, I will walk around in the driveway tomorrow.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Those videos are with only ambient light no light from the camera 1/30 shutter speed, I put it to 1/60 for tonight because now I am curious, I got it so I can see car color at night to compliment my LPR, I will walk around in the driveway tomorrow.
Oh yeah, so in your case that makes sense as a compliment to LPR. I have a camera doing just the same so I am not too concerned about an exact clean image of the vehicle and I accept blur for the color..

That is a good video for a 1/30 shutter. Must be nice to have that street light!

I cannot wait to see what the 1/60 looks like and if it is too dark. Please post a video and pic tonight!

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
He asked for a camera that can use some type of illumination at night other than IR (not ambient of course) That kind of camera doesn't exist.

Now of course there are cameras that operate great in low light conditions.

kccustom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh yeah, so in your case that makes sense as a compliment to LPR. I have a camera doing just the same so I am not too concerned about an exact clean image of the vehicle and I accept blur for the color..

That is a good video for a 1/30 shutter. Must be nice to have that street light!

I cannot wait to see what the 1/60 looks like and if it is too dark. Please post a video and pic tonight!
This is 1/120 the 1/60 was not much different than the 1/30, it is a little too dark for what I am using it for.
Edit: Added video of an old fat guy and a dog.

Attachments

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, the 1/120 certainly helped with the vehicle on the street, but as you said, for your use case, running a slower shutter works and accomplishes the goal for that camera in that location.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You certainly benefit from light and a stop sign! A person checking your truck would probably blur on auto though.