Are these threads only for IP system questions or can you guys answer this question?

Bryan478

n3wb
Reaction score
let the location pick the camera; not the camera pick the location.. both have advantages and disadvantages; but generally for residential applications looks are important, and the turrets just look better and blend in easier.. from any appreciable distance they could just be accent lighting fixtures, where as the bullet is unmistakably a friggin security camera.. several times the physical size of the turret.

The WAF score is higher for the turret than the bullet; and that that has a heavy skewing effect.. performance is the same between em.
Oh wow I'm watching your Youtube videos now lol. With that said the Dahua 2mp Starlight turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) would be my exterior choice. Unless they have the exact same turret in 4mp... possibly (IPC-HDW5431R-Z) ???
For the interior I'm debating between the Turret (same as above) and Dome (IPC-HDB4231C-AS) once again unless there is a 4mp version.

What do you think? is the discount for ipct members still in effect?

also UTP Cat 6 or shielded? price difference is like twice as much. What 8 channel NVR should i buy to handle 8 cameras at 2mp and/or 4mp?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What leads you to believe a 4MP is going to be better than 2MP? FYI Megapixels and your penis have nothing in common; Smaller is generally better at getting the job done.. these 2MP Starlights will have more detail than a 12MP 4K camera when it really counts.

4MP cameras are a suckers game, your burning more diskspace to store less detail..

you dont need shielded cabling if its internal in walls/attics/ceilings in a residential setup.. maybe an big industrial environment or external pole mounts.. are you running arc welders, 440VAC Motors/Ballasts or high powered radio transceivers?

Last edited:

Deali

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Explain why you have to change them? If I were buying new cables I would buy cat6, but there is absolutely no problem with cat5e and I highly doubt you will own a camera any time soon that can saturate it. :p
My Network startet small and grew and grew. 2 of my cams have a distance of about 25 Meters to the NVR. Since i record all the time, i found out that sometimes there is no picture on the record, just dark. I reduced the resolution to 720p and also the framerate and this effect is gone. I will get a new 16 Port Gigabit Switch soon only for the cams and change all cables to cat.6. Also my Dahua cams will show up in the near future.

Bryan478

n3wb
Reaction score
What leads you to believe a 4MP is going to be better than 2MP? FYI Megapixels and your penis have nothing in common; Smaller is generally better at getting the job done.. these 2MP Starlights will have more detail than a 12MP 4K camera when it really counts.

4MP cameras are a suckers game, your burning more diskspace to store less detail..

you dont need shielded cabling if its internal in walls/attics/ceilings in a residential setup.. maybe an big industrial environment or external pole mounts.
hey hey hey now leave my tiny penis out of this anyways so 2mp it is then specially due to saving hard drive space. i was just under the impression that digital zoom on an object was better with 4mp than 2mp but ofcourse if you have the correct lens 2.8, 3.6, 8mm, 12mm for your application it really wouldnt matter. 2mp makes much more sense. so turret ( IPC-HDW5231R-Z ) is a better choice for sure due to low light peformance and will definitely be using out side but are they worth the extra $40-50 per camera when i'd be buying 4-6 interior cameras? thats $200-300 that i could put towards my NVR correct?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Right now I believe the best residential indoor camera will be the IPC-HDBW4231F-AS | Dahua Technology and you can get these for ~$130ish but they are kinda unicorns right now.. I reviewed the non IR version here: Dahua Starlight Mini-Dome 3.6mm (IPC-HDB4231C-AS)

4MP's are not very good indoors for most residential locations, mebe laundry room/garage where lighting is going to be very high when occupied.. Living areas, like bedrooms, family rooms, dining rooms are likely to have less ambient lighting.. ppl watching TV w/lights off, dimmers/mood lighting/etc.. and thats considered low light conditions and the starlight can keep in color mode longer without being a bunch of noise.. where the 4MP's will be in black and white with IR on full blast.. When the starlight is in color in a darkened room, its practically invisible as its not giving off light.

If you had a big retail location indoors that was very well lit I'd say skip starlights and buy 4MP cameras all day long; but few people have banks of fluorescent office lighting running 24/7 at home and the biggest issue in residential security is lack of lighting.. I can convince a business to put up a 300W Halogen flood light all night long, good luck convincing your wife/neighbors/city of doing that at home.

Think of all the situations you struggle to get a good photo w/your phone in low light, those places could use a Starlight over a 4MP every day of the week.

Last edited:

Bryan478

n3wb
Reaction score
Right now I believe the best residential indoor camera will be the IPC-HDBW4231F-AS | Dahua Technology and you can get these for ~$130ish but they are kinda unicorns right now.. I reviewed the non IR version here: Dahua Starlight Mini-Dome 3.6mm (IPC-HDB4231C-AS)

4MP's are not very good indoors for most residential locations, mebe laundry room/garage where lighting is going to be very high when occupied.. Living areas, like bedrooms, family rooms, dining rooms are likely to have less ambient lighting.. ppl watching TV w/lights off, dimmers/mood lighting/etc.. and thats considered low light conditions and the starlight can keep in color mode longer without being a bunch of noise.

Think of all the situations you struggle to get a good photo w/your phone in low light, those places could use a Starlight over a 4MP every day of the week.
This is for a small business where the largest room would be 20ft x 30ft x 9ft high and a 10ft x 4 foot front window with parking lot lighting so it would be low light. so between (ipc-hdbw4231f-as) which obviously looks better than the dome (IPC-HDB4231C-AS) they are pretty much the same price. you still prefer the IPC-HDBW4231F-AS ?

Bryan478

n3wb
Reaction score
Why do you have camreas in your bedrooms, family rooms, dining rooms?
family room and dining room makes complete sense since... what he does in his bedroom is his business but keep in mind bedrooms still have windows

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
having the IR is good if the room is going to be totally dark w/no other lighting.. it'll be good to have.. I'd rather have it and not need it than the other way around.

I dont have any in my bedroom; but I do in my kids.. I work from home and have to seal my self up in the office from time to time for meetings; yet still need to be a responsible parent and watch the kids and make sure they not drinking Clorox or something ;)

When they get old enough they want privacy they are gone the moment they simply ask me to take it down.

they dont record when home; only when the security system is armed.. my cameras are quite secure.

Bryan478

n3wb
Reaction score
having the IR is good if the room is going to be totally dark w/no other lighting.. it'll be good to have.. I'd rather have it and not need it than the other way around.

I dont have any in my bedroom; but I do in my kids.. I work from home and have to seal my self up in the office from time to time for meetings; yet still need to be a responsible parent and watch the kids and make sure they not drinking Clorox or something ;)

When they get old enough they want privacy they are gone the moment they simply ask me to take it down.

they dont record when home; only when the security system is armed.. my cameras are quite secure.
oh the wedge has ir and the dome doesn't ok yes prefer the wedge then. only down fall you get rid of the on board mic. so now i am thinking about the turret all together lol. i think that might have been a sales tactic on dahua.

thank you for all your help NAYR i think i have the idea now on which to buy. one last question PAL format verses NTSC doesn't matter right as long as all your hardware is compatible with which ever you choose? and finally any recommendations on which NVR to buy to support 8 of the cameras we talked about with as little latency as possible and decent hopefully good FPS? How big of a hard drive to run a total of 8 - 2mp cameras continuously during 8 business hours and motion detection during after hours including audio for a whole week before overwriting.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its got audio on the Wedge, and the IR can be turned off if desired.. there is really no reason to even buy the Dome w/out IR unless your sure you'll never want it.

PAL vs NTSC makes no difference with Digital Equipment as far as compatibility; everything plays nicely.

Bryan478

n3wb
Reaction score
its got audio on the Wedge, and the IR can be turned off if desired.. there is really no reason to even buy the Dome w/out IR unless your sure you'll never want it.

PAL vs NTSC makes no difference with Digital Equipment as far as compatibility; everything plays nicely.
oh ok so there is a mic that's good so in that case i think for indoors i might lean more towards the wedge because its small but i still love the motorized lens on the turret and its quality picture and low light performance we'll see... any recommendations on an NVR?

Bryan478

n3wb
Reaction score
Sounds good look forward to that review. I've also heard about this Blue Iris software that makes a "computer" into an NVR. They say blue iris is superior? Any thought?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
let the location pick the camera; not the camera pick the location.. both have advantages and disadvantages; but generally for residential applications looks are important, and the turrets just look better and blend in easier.. from any appreciable distance they could just be accent lighting fixtures, where as the bullet is unmistakably a friggin security camera.. several times the physical size of the turret.

The WAF score is higher for the turret than the bullet; and that that has a heavy skewing effect.. performance is the same between em.
LOL!!!!! WAF, love it.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score

4MP's are not very good indoors for most residential locations, mebe laundry room/garage where lighting is going to be very high when occupied.. Living areas, like bedrooms, family rooms, dining rooms are likely to have less ambient lighting.. ppl watching TV w/lights off, dimmers/mood lighting/etc.. and thats considered low light conditions and the starlight can keep in color mode longer without being a bunch of noise.. where the 4MP's will be in black and white with IR on full blast.. When the starlight is in color in a darkened room, its practically invisible as its not giving off light.

If you had a big retail location indoors that was very well lit I'd say skip starlights and buy 4MP cameras all day long; but few people have banks of fluorescent office lighting running 24/7 at home and the biggest issue in residential security is lack of lighting.. I can convince a business to put up a 300W Halogen flood light all night long, good luck convincing your wife/neighbors/city of doing that at home.

You think those are better than the turrets?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think they are dramatically smaller and more discrete than the turrets and have an even higher WAF factor than anything else you'll consider using inside.

I stuck the turret up in the Living room for Thanksgiving and my house sitter spotted it instantly; nobody's noticed the mini-dome yet if I havent pointed it out.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I think they are dramatically smaller and more discrete than the turrets and have an even higher WAF factor than anything else you'll consider using inside.

I stuck the turret up in the Living room for Thanksgiving and my house sitter spotted it instantly; nobody's noticed the mini-dome yet if I havent pointed it out.
While I fully support WAF, I also want the most effective camera for the job at hand of busting a thief, more consideration is needed lol.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Mini Dome is more than capable of Identifying anyone in my living room; with a lil IR it'll be perfect for monitoring inside.. when you have walls and celings and distances no bigger than 30ft or so then you dont need much IR

outside where you have much greater distances you definitely want the turret, If someone breaks into the house while im out I am almost certain the turret would be tampered with by anyone ransacking my house because you'd have to be blind to not see it.. where as the mini cameras in a darkened corner just disappear.