Are these threads only for IP system questions or can you guys answer this question?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
The Mini Dome is more than capable of Identifying anyone in my living room; with a lil IR it'll be perfect for monitoring inside.. when you have walls and celings and distances no bigger than 30ft or so then you dont need much IR

outside where you have much greater distances you definitely want the turret, If someone breaks into the house while im out I am almost certain the turret would be tampered with by anyone ransacking my house because you'd have to be blind to not see it.. where as the mini cameras in a darkened corner just disappear.
Perhaps I will get one to play with :)

BarkityBark

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've got a NVR5216-4KS2 arriving soon that I'll try to treat to the usual review this time around.
I just ordered a NVR5216-4KS2 from Andy after reading your recommendations and those of others. Can you tell me please, what do you recommend for hard drive(s) for it? I'm assuming it doesn't come with any installed. WD Purple? One, or two?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
buy the largest purple you can afford, and if thats not enough retention you can add a 2nd later very easy.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Can you tell me please, what do you recommend for hard drive(s) for it? I'm assuming it doesn't come with any installed. WD Purple? One, or two?
How long is a piece of string?
The answer will be driven by how many cameras you will be connecting, what the aggregate bitrate will be, whether you are recording continuous or motion detection only, how long you need to keep the content for.
Plug some numbers into the Disc Space Calculator here and you'll get an idea of what you need:
Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd.