ARG! Frustrated with SD Card

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So I bought a cam from Andy and its working good. I installed a 128 GB Sandisk card. When I went into the camera software after running the camera for a while, It showed the card as having a bit of memory used.. GREAT! Then I started clicking on stuff to see what it does.

When I clicked "Hot Swap", things went south. Now the camera says "NO SD CARD". Tried FORMAT, nothing.

What's going on?

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Murphy625, sounds like you need to remove and reinstall the SD card or you could try cycling the power (turn it off and back on again).

As it sounds as though you've unmounted it.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The first thing you need to do is test the SD card. A huge number of SD cards are pure junk

always use H2TESTW program to test the SD card before use. It is an old program, it is slow but it works. If you get any errors the card is junk.

Also you need a card that can stand up to the heat and humidity and constant writes.. Most cards for your phone or PC will not work for very long.
Look at Samsung Pro Endurance or WD SD purple.

Last edited:

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The first thing you need to do is test the SD card. A huge number of SD cars are pure junk

always use H2TESTW program to test the SD card before use. It is an old program, it is slow but it works. If you get any errors the card is junk.

Also you need a card that can stand up to the heat and humidity and constant writes.. Most cards for your phone or PC will not work for very long.
Look at Samsung Pro Endurance or WD SD purple.
The card I used came from an ebay seller but I tested it using an android app to make sure it was genuine and it was. Besides, I doubt there is anything wrong with the card. I've always had good luck with Sandisk stuff.

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Murphy625, sounds like you need to remove and reinstall the SD card or you could try cycling the power (turn it off and back on again).

As it sounds as though you've unmounted it.
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner! That did it.

Now what the hell is the HOT SWAP button for? (Besides making your card inaccessible)

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Murphy625, hotswapping allows you to swap a drive while a system is still running and without causing corruption.

So when you clicked on hotswap you told the cam to unmount the flash drive, so that in theory you could pull the drive and replace it.

Glad to hear it's sorted now though.

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Murphy625, hotswapping allows you to swap a drive while a system is still running and without causing corruption.

So when you clicked on hotswap you told the cam to unmount the flash drive, so that in theory you could pull the drive and replace it.

Glad to hear it's sorted now though.
Oh that's messed up. First, you have to disassemble the entire camera mount system to even get to the ball thingy that contains the camera.. then you have to use a screw driver to open the unit up. Who the hell is going to perform that kind of operation on a working unit? LOL That's like trying to change the spark plugs in your car while driving down the freeway.

The software must used on more than just my camera eh?

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was wondering about that myself Murphy625, I don't see much use for it with a camera and especially with the nightmare you had to go through to remount it.

But with an NVR it would be awesome, as run low on space or got a new HDD on a deal and unmount, pull the drive and install the replacement which automatically mounts it. Simples.

Murphy625

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was wondering about that myself Murphy625, I don't see much use for it with a camera and especially with the nightmare you had to go through to remount it.

But with an NVR it would be awesome, as run low on space or got a new HDD on a deal and unmount, pull the drive and install the replacement which automatically mounts it. Simples.
I didn't have to do any of that disassembly garbage.. What I have figured out, with the help above, is that the hot swap button unmounts the sd card.. you can fix the problem by cycling the power on the camera.. I should have tried rebooting it first but cycling power worked perfectly.

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ah, even better Murphy625. Still a pain though.

The power cycling will have just rebooted and reposted the cam, and during the process the cam will have reloaded or remounted the card.

At least we've worked out an easier fix together Murphy625, which is good.

hirussell

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Murphy, You need to check your card through SD card reader. Put the sd card in SD card reader and check on laptop/Computer it recognized or not. If the not recognized into the system you need to contact nearest SD card dealer. If the SD card recognized but data not showing try SD card recovery software's such as Recuva, Stellar Photo Recovery , Minitool..etc. Thanks!